Pages: 1 ... 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016717 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6420 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 08:54:01 »

Don't even get me started on Brexit! I accept that an argument could be made for a second referendum/people's vote/confirmatory vote however the options are the key. The majority have already voted to leave the EU so the ballot choice must be between Mays deal and a WTO deal.Remain cannot be a choice if we are to continue to be a democracy. Dominic Grieve wants three choices the two above plus remain! If Mays deal gets 33%, WTO gets 33% and remain gets 34% who wins? Grieve is a bit odd. Ha Ha

For admittedly only the 2,700,000 time on here, there is not such thing as a WTO deal!

Please tell me you are not going to start on about GATT24 next.

God I miss Chalkiesshorts....
« Last Edit: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:02:39 by horlock07 » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6421 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:05:36 »

Probably Suez. Our getting into bed with the French and Israelis, and then coming up against the realpolitik of being told to do one by the US, brought any last pretensions that our government was free to act down to the ground, and rapidly brought on the end of empire.

By the early 60's Dean Acheson, JFK's Secretary of State could debunk the notion of the "Special Relationship" and give us UK "has lost an empire, but yet to find a role" as he approved our application to join the nascent EU.  MacMillan thought he still has some influence on Kennedy, but came up against reality when, he had to accept a US nuclear submarine facility at Holy Loch nr Glasgow.  MacMillan didn't object to having one in a more remote bit of Scotland, but thought making Glasgow an obvious target below the belt; tough shit.

Brexit is a logical extension of this process whereby we become de facto the 51st State.

Korean War? Battling a Red Menace.
GosportRob could be a Glorious Gloucester.
That would be great. Living history on the TEF.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6422 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:10:08 »

Probably Suez. Our getting into bed with the French and Israelis, and then coming up against the realpolitik of being told to do one by the US, brought any last pretensions that our government was free to act down to the ground, and rapidly brought on the end of empire.

By the early 60's Dean Acheson, JFK's Secretary of State could debunk the notion of the "Special Relationship" and give us UK "has lost an empire, but yet to find a role" as he approved our application to join the nascent EU.  MacMillan thought he still has some influence on Kennedy, but came up against reality when, he had to accept a US nuclear submarine facility at Holy Loch nr Glasgow.  MacMillan didn't object to having one in a more remote bit of Scotland, but thought making Glasgow an obvious target below the belt; tough shit.

Brexit is a logical extension of this process whereby we become de facto the 51st State.

Even to have been at Suez we are probably talking a veteran being in their late 70's now?

Whole thing is just bringing this to mind again!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6423 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:10:28 »

Falklands would be my guess
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6424 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:12:25 »

My dad was with the Glorious Glosters in Korea and Aden in the early 50's.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6425 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:19:21 »

My dad was with the Glorious Glosters in Korea and Aden in the early 50's.

Respect. Hope he found it in himself to talk to you about his experiences.

I know a lot of veterans were / are reluctant, understandably, to talk about what being in conflict was like.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6426 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:24:17 »

Respect. Hope he found it in himself to talk to you about his experiences.

I know a lot of veterans were / are reluctant, understandably, to talk about what being in conflict was like.
He spoke his time there a lot right up to the day he died but never spoke about actual conflict, just about the camaraderie surrounding the experience, he served for 7 years from 48 to 55 when he moved to Swindon after meeting my mums brother while in Aden...the rest is my history!

The first thing my uncle did when my dad visited to Swindon was to take him to a game at the County Ground in 1952, thats why I am here on the forum now I guess!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6427 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 09:50:44 »

We were ni Korea as apart of a United Nations force.

One of our last soloish endeavours was the Sarawak Insurgency... a cold war side show of the very early 60's, Uncle Sam was happy to leave that to us, as it was a fight against communism, in tropical jungle, and we were good at that sort of thing, having experience in Burma etc.

The Americans as Vietnam showed less so.  

Obviously well worth it, as it allows the likes of The Sultan of Brunei, to control the oil wealth and introduce stoning of gays and other Sharia Law niceties.
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6428 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 18:23:55 »

Ok Horlock07 given the choice of leave with Mays deal, leave without an agreed deal or remain and using the percentages of 33, 33 and 34 WHICH OPTION WINS?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6429 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 06:17:20 »

Where are you getting those percentages from?
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6430 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 06:42:45 »

Christ almighty I made them up to prove you cannot have a fair referendum if the choices split the vote of one side of opinion. It was mainly to show that Grieve treats anyone who doesn't agree with him as a gibbering moron. He held one of the highest roles of state so what hope do we have that mp's of any persuasion will ever represent the proletariat?
Sir red ken

« Reply #6431 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 07:51:12 »

Christ almighty I made them up to prove you cannot have a fair referendum if the choices split the vote of one side of opinion. It was mainly to show that Grieve treats anyone who doesn't agree with him as a gibbering moron. He held one of the highest roles of state so what hope do we have that mp's of any persuasion will ever represent the proletariat?
Grieve's priorities are 1st France,2nd eussr,3rd himself. How that man ever became an MP of the UK shows how lax and corrupt our system is. He doesn't care about his party or his constituents, he just wants to enusre tax payers money gets re-directed to france via the eu, for which he's been richly rewarded.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #6432 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 09:21:33 »

All the Leave voters would vote for "No Deal", because they all knew what they were voting for.
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6433 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 09:25:59 »

So if the choice was no deal, remain or remain with bells on how would remainers vote? Of cause all remainers want to live in the United States of Europe don't they? I don't think So!
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #6434 on: Saturday, June 29, 2019, 09:35:23 »

Now you're being silly.

It is well known that all Leavers voted for No Deal. So why include May's deal in a 3rd referendum?
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: