Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 876   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1988604 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 14:23:35 »

There's been a real lack of any political debates on her for a while now, which is a pity as I used to enjoy reading the informed(?) opinions of such a great cross section of society. Let's face it, the only thing we all have in common is our football club so opinions will also vary considerably, as will our political stances.

As much as Russell Brand comes across as a bit of a tit, I'm finding myself agreeing with a lot of what he says; the current political parties are all unappealing and uninspiring. Abstaining from the process however can't be a solution, can it?

What is the single biggest issue facing The UK and how would you like it addressed?

It's All Good..............
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 14:33:57 »

Ban all political debate?

What actually changes when there is a change of government?  To the average person I guess not a lot.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 14:37:05 by 4D » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 14:35:35 »

As much as Russell Brand comes across as a bit of a tit, I'm finding myself agreeing with a lot of what he says

More worryingly, a lot of people feel the same way about Nigel Farage.
Utter Kant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 14:54:54 »

The biggest single issue the UK is facing right now is public apathy. If people are not informed about our politics then how can it be reformed? Many people seem to have little/no idea (or interest) about the way politics works, nor what the consequences of an alternative political landscape would be. Proper, comprehensive change, regardless of what that change is, will not arrive unless people become more engaged and politically informed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:00:04 »

How about the fact that our electoral system has a pretty solid chance of leaving UKIP (13% in the polls) and the Greens (9%) with 5-6 seats between them while even the zombie-like Lib Dems will probably retain about 30 seats on 9% of the vote because their vote is nicely concentrated?

The system is insane. I realise that AV got rejected in a referendum but that was only a marginally less shit system.

It just doesn't seem democratic in any sense that there's such a ludicrous disparity between the % of the vote and the number of seats allocated.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:19:32 by Nemo » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:14:14 »

^^ which is why I dislike all things political. That,  and the arrogance of people who think they are right about absolutely everything (voters and politicians)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:16:19 »

Also, career politicians.

The fact that the guy in charge of public finances is "qualified" to do this because he's got a 2:1 in Modern History quite frankly scares me.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:17:55 »

What is the single biggest issue facing The UK and how would you like it addressed?

Quite simply climate change, and finding answers to the questions raised about managing planetary resources, if a slow down in global warming is to be achieved.

The summit in Lima at the weekend, at least on the surface came to some agreement for a way forward to be further debated in a year's time in Paris, but time is of the essence.  If anything is to be achieved, then a lot of politicians are going to have to make some very unpopular decisions...as for this country, the BBC wont even allow The Greens to a debate before the next election.
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:24:45 »

As much as Russell Brand comes across as a bit of a tit, I'm finding myself agreeing with a lot of what he says; the current political parties are all unappealing and uninspiring. Abstaining from the process however can't be a solution, can it?

He might be a bell end, but he makes more sense than any of the self-serving tosspots fucking about wasting our taxes. I've not voted since I was a teen, but I will vote next time and I will vote UKIP.

I hate politics and I absolutely despise politicians. I'm voting for UKIP as it'd be nice to at least attempt to fuck the twattish system up. (Not that I believe it'll have any effect at all.)

Utter Kant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:29:55 »

How about the fact that there's a pretty good chance that our electoral system has a pretty solid chance of leaving UKIP (13% in the polls) and the Greens (9%) with 5-6 seats between them while even the zombie-like Lib Dems will probably retain about 30 seats on 9% of the vote because their vote is nicely concentrated?

The system is insane. I realise that AV got rejected in a referendum but that was only a marginally less shit system.

It just doesn't seem democratic in any sense that there's such a ludicrous disparity between the % of the vote and the number of seats allocated.

Agreed. However, since AV was trounced there appears to be no appetite for reform; immigration, welfare, NHS etc. seem to take precedent over the core issue of improving our democratic process in the public conscience. The average Joe couldn't tell you how other electoral systems work, what the benefits and drawbacks are, let alone which one they would replace first past the post with.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:33:27 »

Also, career politicians.

This was my second choice axe to grind. Awful.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:47:13 »

How do we address my apathy. Currently I intend to draw a massive cock (with spunk bubble) on my ballot form.

Conservatives are posh twats.

Labour may as well be the conservatives these days.

UKIP .. Ferage is head knob jockey of a bunch of closet xenophobes.

Lib dems are a bunch of lying bastards who sacrificed key principles so that clegg could nosh off Cameron while in power.

But most of all, what's the point. Nothing changes. Manifestos get backtracked on in a blink of an eye. And the country is financially screwed anyway.

I'd look at independents maybe. But Independents have no clout.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:53:22 »

I reckon Scotland is the biggest issue at present. The concessions that were offered were rushed and not thought out properly and as a result things could very easily turn in to a massive cluster fuck after the next election.

There is a very real chance we'll end up with a coalition government between Labour and the SNP, with them only having a minority of the seats/votes in England/Wales/Northern Ireland. Not convinced such a government would last 5 years.

It would be complicated further if changes to voting are pushed through before the election, reducing or removing the voting power of Scottish MP's. Giving a Labour/SNP government who wouldn't have a majority for non-Scottish votes.

Then add UKIP in to the mix and fuck knows where it could end.

Having a weak or non-functional government would be bad news all round.

jonny72

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:56:42 »

Lib dems are a bunch of lying bastards who sacrificed key principles so that clegg could nosh off Cameron while in power.

I really don't get this argument. The Lib Dems manifesto said what they would do if they won the election.

They didn't win the election but by forming a government with the Tories they were able to get some of the stuff they wanted.

They were never get it all and they had to make concessions. I think Clegg did a pretty good job with the negotiations.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 18, 2014, 16:10:30 »

I really don't get this argument. The Lib Dems manifesto said what they would do if they won the election.

They didn't win the election but by forming a government with the Tories they were able to get some of the stuff they wanted.

They were never get it all and they had to make concessions. I think Clegg did a pretty good job with the negotiations.
I really don't think the LD's have got very much of what they wanted but they have stopped the posh boys from doing a lot of what they really wanted to do!  Their biggest single mistake was going back on their election pledge of no increase in university tuition fees - that will be remembered for a long time to come!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 876   Go Up
Print
Jump to: