Pages: 1 ... 425 426 427 [428] 429 430 431 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016644 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6405 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 19:52:21 »

Are you claiming to be a WW2 veteran?
If he is we have a new 'oldest poster' by a country bloody mile, unless its one of the 70+ers who seem to genuinely seem to think they fought.

Sent from my SM-J330FN
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6406 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:01:50 »

I realise that the history taught in schools is not that which was available to my generation however I would have thought even you would have known that there have been more conflicts since WW2 that would have impacted on freedom. The point about ageism is that I believe you would have been reluctant to tell a ..........insert minority to die but you were quite happy to tell me to pop my clogs. Hypocritical or what. Virtue signalling leaves me cold. I treat everybody with respect you should try it some time. xxx
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6407 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:14:00 »

I realise that the history taught in schools is not that which was available to my generation however I would have thought even you would have known that there have been more conflicts since WW2 that would have impacted on freedom. The point about ageism is that I believe you would have been reluctant to tell a ..........insert minority to die but you were quite happy to tell me to pop my clogs. Hypocritical or what. Virtue signalling leaves me cold. I treat everybody with respect you should try it some time. xxx

😉
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #6408 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:39:47 »

No one told you to pop your clogs, it was a joke about why we don't need to take age discrimination seriously. I think we should joke about everyone and everything.

Pray tell what conflict(s) you are referring to? My school education was pretty poor but I think I know every war we've been in since WWII and I can't see how any of them have affected my freedom, other than negatively of course.
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6409 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:41:33 »

Don't even get me started on Brexit! I accept that an argument could be made for a second referendum/people's vote/confirmatory vote however the options are the key. The majority have already voted to leave the EU so the ballot choice must be between Mays deal and a WTO deal.Remain cannot be a choice if we are to continue to be a democracy. Dominic Grieve wants three choices the two above plus remain! If Mays deal gets 33%, WTO gets 33% and remain gets 34% who wins? Grieve is a bit odd. Ha Ha
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6410 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:48:43 »

I wasn't aware that we had openly declared war on anyone since 1939 but I could be wrong hence you will note I used the word conflict which I would argue has a different if similar accepted meaning. Please don't cut and paste from Oxford English dictionary. Many men and women have taken up arms to protect your rights since the 1940's you would do well to remember that. Happy days xxxx
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #6411 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 20:56:13 »

Continuing my Reg theme is there any chance of getting him to give us a few tales about Park Grammar I went there so could be interesting.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6412 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 21:01:54 »

Continuing my Reg theme is there any chance of getting him to give us a few tales about Park Grammar I went there so could be interesting.

What do you want to know 😉 park old boy representing 😁
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6413 on: Thursday, June 27, 2019, 21:22:56 »

we won't cease to be a democracy if we change our mind on brexit.

the Tory party may cease to be though. Hence won't happen
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6414 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 03:17:48 »

Are you claiming to be a WW2 veteran?
I don’t think he’s a wrestler.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6415 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 06:30:58 »

Sorry mate, my history is not so strong. Which 'conflict' since WW2 has impacted on my 'freedom' in any way?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6416 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 07:54:30 »

Sorry mate, my history is not so strong. Which 'conflict' since WW2 has impacted on my 'freedom' in any way?

Probably Suez. Our getting into bed with the French and Israelis, and then coming up against the realpolitik of being told to do one by the US, brought any last pretensions that our government was free to act down to the ground, and rapidly brought on the end of empire.

By the early 60's Dean Acheson, JFK's Secretary of State could debunk the notion of the "Special Relationship" and give us UK "has lost an empire, but yet to find a role" as he approved our application to join the nascent EU.  MacMillan thought he still has some influence on Kennedy, but came up against reality when, he had to accept a US nuclear submarine facility at Holy Loch nr Glasgow.  MacMillan didn't object to having one in a more remote bit of Scotland, but thought making Glasgow an obvious target below the belt; tough shit.

Brexit is a logical extension of this process whereby we become de facto the 51st State.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6417 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 08:01:51 »

Interesting to hear Putin's comments being reported this morning. He's gloating about the demise of liberal democracy brought about by the rise of "national populism" (Trump, Orban, Farage, Le Pen, Salvini et al). Money well spent then Vlad.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6418 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 08:21:35 »

No of your business really is it?
Fair enough Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6419 on: Friday, June 28, 2019, 08:26:15 »

Ageism is covered under the Discrimination laws in the UK. Correct and agree

Boris Johnson is a fuckwit. Correct to a point. Other fuckwits are available on both sides of the house.

Brexit will happen, and should. Correct and agree.

There wont be a Peoples Vote 2. Correct and agree.

The economy won't be as strong under WTO rules as it would be as part of a 500m+ trading Bloc of people with free trade. Correct up to a point. There will be a deal, (hopefully better than the present one) if not imeadiately after leaving with a no deal then very quickly after that, it will fucking focus the minds on both sides. Business (those nasty capitalists) will ensure that.

The UK won't implode once out. Correct, it has not after the doom mongers said it would if voted to leave.

Either way it will take time to find our feet in the new world but there is nothing to be frightened of, cautious yes, frightened no.

What you appear to be saying is that... yes there will be a hit, but it won't be that bad.

Most of us will only be a bit poorer, but a price worth paying for the break up of the Union, the nice Mr Johnson getting to fulfill his ambition, and Mr Rees Mogg making a few more bob in the far east
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 427 [428] 429 430 431 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: