Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morris gone  (Read 27918 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 20:36:48 »

I’ve heard that far from Sandro wanting Morris it was totally Clem’s decision.
Apparently Morris wanted too much, so a deal for Artell had been agreed before Morris agreed to sign for less and Clem had his head turned by the big name.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 20:41:31 »

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m definitely not against Morris and Sandro going, change was needed.

I just hope part of it’s not a case of Clem and Rob seeing that they’ve invested a certain amount into this playing squad and can’t waste it so instead backed them over the manager in a hope they’ll come good as (and I hope I’m eating humble pie for this) I’m not sure the majority of them are good enough to be worth backing.

There’s no doubt some good individuals in there but as a unit they just don’t work well enough to get promoted. If it was to stay mostly as it is then our only likely route to goal that isn’t just praying for a flash of quality is crossing into Austin and only Hutton, FBT and Cain (occasionally) are capable of good delivery like that. I don’t think any new manager is going to change that so I hope they’re allowed to rip this squad up if they see fit and want to go another direction.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 20:49:10 »

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m definitely not against Morris and Sandro going, change was needed.

I just hope part of it’s not a case of Clem and Rob seeing that they’ve invested a certain amount into this playing squad and can’t waste it so instead backed them over the manager in a hope they’ll come good as (and I hope I’m eating humble pie for this) I’m not sure the majority of them are good enough to be worth backing.

There’s no doubt some good individuals in there but as a unit they just don’t work well enough to get promoted. If it was to stay mostly as it is then our only likely route to goal that isn’t just praying for a flash of quality is crossing into Austin and only Hutton, FBT and Cain (occasionally) are capable of good delivery like that. I don’t think any new manager is going to change that so I hope they’re allowed to rip this squad up if they see fit and want to go another direction.

This is how I feel. Not a fan of player power.
I wanted Morris to go through this team like a dose of salts. Didn’t bother me he was seemingly an arsehole.
What if they don’t like the next manager…?
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 20:55:08 »

I worry more that it’s possibly giving in to the fans feelings, especially with the reports of low season ticket sales
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 20:58:20 »

I worry more that it’s possibly giving in to the fans feelings, especially with the reports of low season ticket sales

Also this. Sacking Sandro would have done the job. Never known a manager to be sacked without any crowd unrest…
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 21:06:41 »

I'm pretty sure that if you swapped the figures in the win and losses columns of JMs record then the players would have been told to shut up and get on with their jobs.

Mind you it we were winning most weeks there would probably be less dressing room unrest.

..never go back.
Outsider83

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 21:15:36 »

The last three winners of L2 have been us under Wellens, FGR under Edwards and Leyton Orient under Wellens again. You can football your way out of this league. The problem is not our style in and of itself, it's that we're not any good at it.

Edit: we were four ago now, I missed Cheltenham. Can't remember anything about their style as it was a season we didn't have to pay any attention to this league!

Off to Reading is the rumour.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 23:48:00 »

Didn’t bother me he was seemingly an arsehole.

PdC once said '...Players don't have to love me. They have to follow me...'

He also said '...if a player has 100, 90, 80, 60, 40, 20 percent of dignity - and everyone has dignity and pride - you have to come out and say ''f*** the manager, I will go out and show him and say ‘you’re wrong’...''

'This is what I want. I’m a different manager.'

He certainly was a different manager and whilst he did have a scattergun approach, his application got the most out of players. I don't think we'll ever see a manager like that again

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 05:39:27 »

This is how I feel. Not a fan of player power.
I wanted Morris to go through this team like a dose of salts. Didn’t bother me he was seemingly an arsehole.
Did they not like him because he was shit, a cunt, or the worse combination of all, a shitty cunt.

At the end of the day if there was a break in JMs contract at the end of season, or 6 months, or based on performance, then it was a no brainer to take it   There was no guarantee that performances would improve in time and may cost even more to rid of him in November.  

If the results are really shit, the players are worth fuck all and we wont attract the ones we want.   If the manager is a also a cunt then that makes recruitment even harder.    

The way he spoke about some of the youngsters in public was so counter productive, you have to encourage first year pros not throw them to the wolves - just as in any other job.   And it really surprised me, given his background at academies, that he took that approach.   That may well have forced some of the senior players, all 2 of them, to step in.

We don't really know what went on, but it's been a shambles and if it was my money being flushed down the swanny, I would want to see alot more from it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 05:50:19 by Pookemon » Logged
DMC

« Reply #249 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 06:32:22 »

PdC once said '...Players don't have to love me. They have to follow me...'

He also said '...if a player has 100, 90, 80, 60, 40, 20 percent of dignity - and everyone has dignity and pride - you have to come out and say ''f*** the manager, I will go out and show him and say ‘you’re wrong’...''

'This is what I want. I’m a different manager.'

He certainly was a different manager and whilst he did have a scattergun approach, his application got the most out of players. I don't think we'll ever see a manager like that again
It is great to see him flourishing and doing so well still in management isnt it
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 07:55:37 »

It is great to see him flourishing and doing so well still in management isnt it

I’ve always assumed the decision to completely disappear from the game was his choice.
Plenty of teams would have taken a punt on him after Sunderland I reckon.
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 07:56:15 »

Did they not like him because he was shit, a cunt, or the worse combination of all, a shitty cunt.

It was rumoured that Lindsey was really soft on them, and Morris came in and tried to lay the law down and they didn’t like it
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 07:58:38 »

I’ve always assumed the decision to completely disappear from the game was his choice.
Plenty of teams would have taken a punt on him after Sunderland I reckon.
I'm sure there were reports at the time that post-Sunderland, no one would touch him with a bargepole and didn't even get responses to applications for League One and League Two clubs, remember Notts County being one.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 08:22:24 »

I suspect part of the problem with Morris was the variety of criminal convictions when he was younger, plus the circumstances of his quickfire departure from Leeds, made it difficult for anyone to respect him as a figure of authority. The exact opposite of why players get on board with the likes of Eddie Howe.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 08:38:06 »

I'm sure there were reports at the time that post-Sunderland, no one would touch him with a bargepole and didn't even get responses to applications for League One and League Two clubs, remember Notts County being one.

I think it was his political views that has put clubs off - there was a big row about it when he joined Sunderland
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: