Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Carlisle  (Read 23018 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 08:10:12 »

Presuming this could well be off.

If not - piece of piss, 4-1.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 08:19:57 »

I think it'll be on. provided they put the covers on. One assumes Carlisle isn't snowed in.

it's not been that cold and the snow was very melty .

1-1
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 08:43:13 »

Covers went on Tuesday I believe. Temperature is hitting double figures today and with the rain you’d imagine the snow will be gone by the end of the day.

3.1 win.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 09:51:06 »

1-0 Town

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 09:56:51 »

It's mild  Huh?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 09:59:57 »

reckon there will be goals in this one. Has to be said old Paul Simpson is doing a fine job with the Cumbrians, I don't think anyone fancied them to do well and he's got them firing without much of a fuss.

I think we'll come out on top in a 5 goal thriller, 3-2.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:15:17 »

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=59342.msg1693385#msg1693385

This was the pre-season predictions average, with the gap from current reality in brackets

1   Bradford City (+4)
2   Mansfield Town (+6)
3   Stockport County (+3)
---------------------------
4   Northampton Town (Spot on)
5   Crawley Town (+18, lols)
6   Leyton Orient (-5)
7   Tranmere Rovers (+5)
8   Salford City (-1)
9   Swindon Town (+2)
10   Doncaster Rovers (+3)
11   AFC Wimbledon (+4)
12   Gillingham (+9)
13   Walsall (+1)
14   Grimsby Town (+2)
15   Crewe Alexandra (+2)
16   Carlisle United (-14)
17   Newport County (+1)
18   Sutton United (-9)
19   Stevenage (-16)
20   Rochdale (+5)
21   Colchester United (-1)
22   Hartlepool United (spot on)
23   Harrogate Town (-4)
24   Barrow (-14)

Generally we did a pretty good job of those predictions, but certainly got Carlisle, Stevenage, Barrow and, in the other direction, Crawley, very wrong.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 11:22:37 by Nemo » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:31:06 »

Carlisle are regarded as the 2nd best team in the league by many managers and journos and theyr current league position backs that up.

They have won 3 on the bounce and should by no means be under estimated just because they are Carlisle.

In the away game they looked ok but beatable, we played much more of the football than them but they had more shots than us, as you would expect for a home side.

The have won 4 more games than us and lost 3 less.

they have only suffered 1 defeat in 5 games, a large 4-0 home defeat to Mansfield but since then they have beaten Colchester at home 1-0, won 5-2 at Crawley and beaten Grimsby 2-0 at home, they are a decent side.

It appears that if you keep Kristian Dennis quiet then you have a chance, he has scored 18 goals and got 4 assists so far witht he next highest scorers only on 5 apeice.

I would be happy with a draw tomorrow in front of 9,215 with 485 coming down the M6.

Here with the benefit of hindsight are some interesting comments posted after the away game at Carlisle. Some are spot on and some so very wide of the mark, its interesting reading.

Carlisle were shite.

That's what makes it more worrying. A team like that is opening us up time and time again.

More worryingly Lindsey thought they were a good team.

You can Lindsey can both get to fuck on that. You're on another planet, they're atrocious.

Come off it, we are three league games into a season.
You have no clue how good Carlisle are in relation to the rest of the division.

Get it into your thick skulls - We are going to struggle this year as we don't have the money to be competitive in the transfer or loan market.

This will be the season we expected last year. We will be battling at the bottom. Staying up will be a good result.

We also came away from a potential relegation rival with an away point.  

Maybe Carlisle do deserve a bit of credit for ‘tearing us apart’ sure we probably contributed to that but let’s not forget 7 days ago we restricted Salford to absolutely fuck all with 10 men. Carlisle had plenty of chances and they couldn’t all be down to us fannying around. Maybe they are a good side? Maybe they are a decent striker away from being a top 5 team in this league?

Carlisle under Paul Simpson is a good side at this level, they like Salford will be up there.  

Paul Simpson's record for Carlisle, starting last season with a team that was in relegation trouble:

18 Pl.   9W 2D 7L:   ppg: 1.61 (not including today's draw)

Would suggest 72 points over a season and just outside the playoffs based on last season.

Their starting 11 wasn't that hit by injuries, so it was a decent away point against a decent side.  

Interesting that tomorrow we are likely to only be playing at most 4 of the starters from the away game in Hutton, Wakeling, Brynn and Williams with the rest either injured, suspended or left the club.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:42:27 »

I would be happy with a draw tomorrow in front of 9,215 with 305 coming down the M6.
Not Friday yet PV!

Carlisle had sold 370 as of Tuesday AM, so imagine they’ll push 500 with pay on the day.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:44:00 »

Not Friday yet PV!
Fucks sake I have no idea what the day is Cheesy

Changed my away guess accordingly Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:47:29 »

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=59342.msg1693385#msg1693385

This was the pre-season predictions average, with the gap from current reality in brackets

1   Bradford City (+4)
2   Mansfield Town (+6)
3   Stockport County (+3)
4   Northampton Town (Spot on)
5   Crawley Town (+18, lols)
6   Leyton Orient (-5)
7   Tranmere Rovers (+5)
8   Salford City (-1)
9   Swindon Town (+2)
10   Doncaster Rovers (+3)
11   AFC Wimbledon (+4)
12   Gillingham (-9)
13   Walsall (+1)
14   Grimsby Town (+2)
15   Crewe Alexandra (+2)
16   Carlisle United (-14)
17   Newport County (+1)
18   Sutton United (-9)
19   Stevenage (-16)
20   Rochdale (+5)
21   Colchester United (-1)
22   Hartlepool United (spot on)
23   Harrogate Town (-4)
24   Barrow (-14)

Generally we did a pretty good job of those predictions, but certainly got Carlisle, Stevenage, Barrow and, in the other direction, Crawley, very wrong.

That thread makes amusing reading, despite the moaning looks like Town are over performing compared to what people expected.  Wink Cheesy

I think it'll be on. provided they put the covers on. One assumes Carlisle isn't snowed in.

Can't comment on Carlisle itself but there feck all in south Cumbria and no suggestion of snow on the M6 so should be fine, up here its all been east coast affected.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 10:51:51 »

Gills should be +9
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 13:36:44 »

Carlisle are regarded as the 2nd best team in the league by many managers and journos and theyr current league position backs that up.

They have won 3 on the bounce and should by no means be under estimated just because they are Carlisle.

In the away game they looked ok but beatable, we played much more of the football than them but they had more shots than us, as you would expect for a home side.

The have won 4 more games than us and lost 3 less.

they have only suffered 1 defeat in 5 games, a large 4-0 home defeat to Mansfield but since then they have beaten Colchester at home 1-0, won 5-2 at Crawley and beaten Grimsby 2-0 at home, they are a decent side.

It appears that if you keep Kristian Dennis quiet then you have a chance, he has scored 18 goals and got 4 assists so far witht he next highest scorers only on 5 apeice.

I would be happy with a draw tomorrow in front of 9,215 with 385 coming down the M6.

Here with the benefit of hindsight are some interesting comments posted after the away game at Carlisle. Some are spot on and some so very wide of the mark, its interesting reading.

Interesting that tomorrow we are likely to only be playing at most 4 of the starters from the away game in Hutton, Wakeling, Brynn and Williams with the rest either injured, suspended or left the club.
Sorry. I was going through the menopause at the time! 🤭

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 13:57:01 »

I see the Sir Thomas Broadbent lot are now doing the stadium announcement stuff. Hopefully the speakers in the DRS aren’t working this weekend either.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 9, 2023, 14:13:58 »

I see the Sir Thomas Broadbent lot are now doing the stadium announcement stuff.

Are they? Is this a one off or ongoing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: