Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24910 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:37:40 »

Oh I nearly forgot - I'm sure there is probably more than 1, but I think I was sat behind foghorn 'FORWAAAAAARD' man on Saturday. Sat resplendent in his Civic Type R cardigan (Reminded me of Alan Partridge in his Castrol GTX jacket at a wake) he was quiet for about 20 minutes but eventually belted out a war cry of FAAAAARWARD which brough out a ripple of a cheer from the people around me. (Suggesting he was a bit of a well-known character) As is often the case when this happens, immediately after his war cry, we belted it forward and straight away lost the ball. It was quite amusing at first but a bit irritating nearer the end as he only seemed to have 3 or 4 repetitive cries, like one of those cheap dolls where you pull the string to activate it. From memory his pre-programmed cries were.

'FARWAAAARD'
'YOU'RE LETTING THEM GET INTO THE GAME NOW TOWN'
'PLAY LIKE YOU DID FIRST HALF TOWN'

This guy had a super booming voice and whilst ok for a game I don't think I'll be getting seats anywhere near that block again! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DMC

« Reply #331 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 09:03:57 »

Yesterday we had 15 corners more than any other team in all four leagues but created next to nothing from them.
TBF we had a perfectly good goal chalked off
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 09:38:41 »

Ugly game. 3 points all that matters. First quarter of season I’d say performances have been very average, yet in play off contention, so surely when performances are consistently good and we find a settled best XI, should go from strength to strength and add some firepower in Jan.

Hutton and FBT solid, defensively sound. Thought Baudry struggled. Darcy annoymous, runs around but offered absolutely nothing bar firing shots into the town end. Wakeling is wasted out wide. I’d pack our midfield out, get Reed back in and just use a diamond kinda set up, with two strikers?

Khan my MOM, pretty easy choice.

Very winnable 3 pts next Saturday, should be in play offs come 5 o’clock next week.

I agree with almost all of that. I thought Baudry was quite poor on Saturday as well. I do like the 'busyness' of Darcy, but yeah, he doesn't seem to offer as much as Jack Payne did for instance.

It was interesting at half time Reed was the only sub to warm up without the green training bib. Not sure whether this is relevant or not. I guess SL prefers Khan over Reed so that's something to keep an eye on. He was imperious last season but I've been underwhelmed with him however I do think there must be a way to get him into the side somehow. That's some homework for Mr Lindsey.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 09:53:34 »

I agree with almost all of that. I thought Baudry was quite poor on Saturday as well. I do like the 'busyness' of Darcy, but yeah, he doesn't seem to offer as much as Jack Payne did for instance.

It was interesting at half time Reed was the only sub to warm up without the green training bib. Not sure whether this is relevant or not. I guess SL prefers Khan over Reed so that's something to keep an eye on. He was imperious last season but I've been underwhelmed with him however I do think there must be a way to get him into the side somehow. That's some homework for Mr Lindsey.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Reed go in January with an anticipated intake of new blood.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 10:16:19 »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Reed go in January with an anticipated intake of new blood.

Especially if he’s not interested in signing an extended deal
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 10:39:37 »

No way Khan was man of the match. He got caught or gave the ball away in dangerous places multiple times. I think there is a decent player in there, but i don't quite see the love in a lot of people have for him. I think too many fans like something new. Same to be said of Darcy. He could not have wanted an easier team to play against than Colchester who gave lots of space and didn't press, yet he contributed next to nothing, outside 2 over the bar shots. In fact him being a bit poor on the left contributed significantly to the fact almost everything came down the right via Gladwin and Hutton.

Reed has not been at his best this year. Thats up to Reed and Lindsey to sort out, because on last seasons form he was a league one player in league two, perhaps one of only two or three we could say that about (permanent players). The fact he is not even being used from the bench when all other outfield players came on seems a tad bizarre to me. Why bring Aguiar on for example, bring Reed on and move Khan forward so when he gives the ball away its further from our own goal.

We laboured to that win at the weekend. Colchester were awful all over the pitch, and we won based on a scrappy goal, without really forcing to much from their keeper. A win is a win, but it wasn't good enough imo.

DMC

« Reply #336 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:36:47 »

No way Khan was man of the match. He got caught or gave the ball away in dangerous places multiple times. I think there is a decent player in there, but i don't quite see the love in a lot of people have for him. I think too many fans like something new. Same to be said of Darcy. He could not have wanted an easier team to play against than Colchester who gave lots of space and didn't press, yet he contributed next to nothing, outside 2 over the bar shots. In fact him being a bit poor on the left contributed significantly to the fact almost everything came down the right via Gladwin and Hutton.

Reed has not been at his best this year. Thats up to Reed and Lindsey to sort out, because on last seasons form he was a league one player in league two, perhaps one of only two or three we could say that about (permanent players). The fact he is not even being used from the bench when all other outfield players came on seems a tad bizarre to me. Why bring Aguiar on for example, bring Reed on and move Khan forward so when he gives the ball away its further from our own goal.

We laboured to that win at the weekend. Colchester were awful all over the pitch, and we won based on a scrappy goal, without really forcing to much from their keeper. A win is a win, but it wasn't good enough imo.

It was good enough, tbf i always think when it comes to players ability that if i am in the minority i am probably wrong. You'll be hard pushed to find anyone who agrees with you regarding Khan
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:42:38 »

can't say I noticed khan giving the ball away. Not saying you are wrong or right, just didn't notice

Thought he was busy and brought an energy into the midfield myself

But Reed hasn't become a bad player overnight. I hope there hasn't been a falling out - the default fan question when someone suddenly isn't even getting on as a sub.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:43:16 »

I do get why Khan splits opinion. He's a very unorthodox player - you can tell he's been nowhere near a proper academy as it's hard to put him in a player archetype box. He puts in huge amounts of effort, which will always go down well with fans, and his turn on the ball is as unique a skill as I've seen from one of our players. I do think he isn't exactly the most structured tactical midfielder though - which can work, god knows Steven Gerrard essentially ignored formations his whole career.  

I'd be fascinated to see what his data profile looks like, it can't be very similar to any other player. Who would you compare him to at a higher level or from our past?

Edit:

Took a look at https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/159/Show/England-Swindon

They have him as one of our worst (!) players of the season with an average 6.29 rating with nobody who plays regularly below him. He has our most tackles per game (1.5) but very few interceptions (0.2), blocks (0.2) and dribbles (0.2). His passes per game is lowest for any of our midfielders (27.2, Reed is 65!) and lower accuracy than anyone else apart from Darcy. He gets disposessed 1.5 times a game, lower than Gladwin (3!) but higher than the other mids.

Not really sure that told me anything about whether he's any good or not to be honest.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:49:56 by Nemo » Logged
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:54:00 »

I do get why Khan splits opinion. He's a very unorthodox player - you can tell he's been nowhere near a proper academy as it's hard to put him in a player archetype box. He puts in huge amounts of effort, which will always go down well with fans, and his turn on the ball is as unique a skill as I've seen from one of our players. I do think he isn't exactly the most structured tactical midfielder though - which can work, god knows Steven Gerrard essentially ignored formations his whole career. 

I'd be fascinated to see what his data profile looks like, it can't be very similar to any other player. Who would you compare him to at a higher level or from our past?

You are correct with the effort aspect, that always buys credit with fans. Though for me you need to have some ability, the work hard players who are not very good, are worth very little to me, i would put Iandolo in that bracket.

His turn on the ball is 'his move', but he does it all the time. In the first half thats one of the occasions he got robbed on the edge of our box, when he did that and the Colchester player read it (easy to do as he does it every time) and he needed the team to win the ball back.

I certainly want midfield players to take the ball on the half turn, open up the space, take a player out of the game etc. But often this can result in him slowing the game down massively, when we want the ball switched sides more quickly with a first time pass. The turn can be great even in defensive thirds, see Kasim, but Khan is a long way off that in ability.

I don't mean to shit on Khan. He's done alright, and may have something about him over the coming years.

The bit that makes me laugh more, is how a lot of fans right off Reed, one of the best players in the division last season, based on not a lot from a new player.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:55:13 »

Took a look at https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/159/Show/England-Swindon

They have him as one of our worst (!) players of the season with an average 6.29 rating with nobody who plays regularly below him. He has our most tackles per game (1.5) but very few interceptions (0.2), blocks (0.2) and dribbles (0.2). His passes per game is lowest for any of our midfielders (27.2, Reed is 65!) and lower accuracy than anyone else apart from Darcy. He gets disposessed 1.5 times a game, lower than Gladwin (3!) but higher than the other mids.

Not really sure that told me anything about whether he's any good or not to be honest.

Interesting. I would expect more advanced midfield players to get dispossed more, so no surprise on Gladwin there.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:56:02 »

It was good enough, tbf i always think when it comes to players ability that if i am in the minority i am probably wrong.

I think the exact opposite. Most people are morons.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 12:12:22 »

The goal was disallowed due to a foul by Baudry, nothing to do with goal itself.  He'd bundled over their defender as the cross was coming in.

Iandolo vs Khan - interesting one.  Iandolo has looked dead in every sub appearance thus far and him doing well last season is his ceiling I think.  He can be a good player for this level, but we saw much better left back play from Tomlinson.   He also did alright in midfield last season, playing on the left of three at times.  Khan looks like a good player but those stats support the reason why some are not sold.  He has a much higher tendency to run with the ball and try to turn out of trouble rather than lay the ball off.  He is the opposite of everyone else in our team.  For that reason I like him.

Overall, I still think we look a notch down from last season, which is a huge disappointment.  We are doing OK, but the foundation we laid should have had us looking a lot better than we do.  We still look several pieces short of a good team.  I had no issue with the sale of McKirdy given he wanted to progress, but we dropped a bollock on the recruitment side as Jephcott alone was not enough.  We remain a forward short.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 12:17:10 »

can't say I noticed khan giving the ball away. Not saying you are wrong or right, just didn't notice

Thought he was busy and brought an energy into the midfield myself

But Reed hasn't become a bad player overnight. I hope there hasn't been a falling out - the default fan question when someone suddenly isn't even getting on as a sub.

The way Multiple times was used suggested (to me at least) that he was forever giving the ball away but from memory it was probably about 4 or 5 times, certainly twice (one in each half) were nearly catastrophic and others were just misplaced/overhit passes. I guess for the amount of ball he had it was never going to be perfect but I think his ball retention overall was quite good in my eyes.

DMC

« Reply #344 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 12:55:21 »

The goal was disallowed due to a foul by Baudry, nothing to do with goal itself.  He'd bundled over their defender as the cross was coming in.

Iandolo vs Khan - interesting one.  Iandolo has looked dead in every sub appearance thus far and him doing well last season is his ceiling I think.  He can be a good player for this level, but we saw much better left back play from Tomlinson.   He also did alright in midfield last season, playing on the left of three at times.  Khan looks like a good player but those stats support the reason why some are not sold.  He has a much higher tendency to run with the ball and try to turn out of trouble rather than lay the ball off.  He is the opposite of everyone else in our team.  For that reason I like him.

Overall, I still think we look a notch down from last season, which is a huge disappointment.  We are doing OK, but the foundation we laid should have had us looking a lot better than we do.  We still look several pieces short of a good team.  I had no issue with the sale of McKirdy given he wanted to progress, but we dropped a bollock on the recruitment side as Jephcott alone was not enough.  We remain a forward short.
I think you are right, if anyhing it highlights to me what a great Job Lindsay is actually doing
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: