Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24894 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #345 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 13:04:37 »

We remain a forward short.

Think we were expecting/hoping Hepburn-Murphy to be fit by now
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 13:17:08 »

And Adeloye not to be a turnip
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 13:29:42 »

Think we were expecting/hoping Hepburn-Murphy to be fit by now

I hope not, he is a roll of the dice type signing at best.  Bags of potential but his career to date is not looking good.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 13:30:01 »

And Adeloye not to be a turnip

But we knew he was before deadline day.
DMC

« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 10:17:49 »

But we knew he was before deadline day.
We have enough strikers, 2 just happen to be injured. He will be back fit this week 1 of them anyway
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 11:31:09 »

We had a good forward who had a record of scoring goals in support of a lone front man but we chose to cash in on him and replace him with an injured unproven player

Things get better but they never get good
DMC

« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 11:34:03 »

We had a good forward who had a record of scoring goals in support of a lone front man but we chose to cash in on him and replace him with an injured unproven player
No we didn't
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 11:46:53 »

Harry Mckirdy who scored 20 goals largely from out wide in support of a central striker and who, even now, has the best goals-to-game ratio for the club this season?

We were a striker short with him. We’re a striker short without him

DMC

« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 11:58:51 »

Harry Mckirdy who scored 20 goals largely from out wide in support of a central striker and who, even now, has the best goals-to-game ratio for the club this season?

We were a striker short with him. We’re a striker short without him
That Harry McKirdy who made it clear he wanted to leave, that isn't my point anyway. You said we replaced him with a unproven unjured player, no we didn't. We replaced him with a player who has scored goals at a higher level than him.

I just don't get the negativity from you constantly tbh, we are on the exact same points wins and draws as last season. Our home record is better and our goal difference is actually better than at this stage last season scoring 4 more goals at home in the process

It really isn't as if we just sold Charlie Austin and replaced him with Benyon
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:13:35 »

Jephcott was the player we needed between two wider players, McKirdy being one and Wakeling hopefully being the other.  Bogus is referring to Hepburn-Murphy, who is as unproven as they come because he hasn't done it at any level yet other than youth and seems to be forever injured.  We needed Jephcott plus someone else who could play first team football right away.

DMC - we may be tracking last season, but last time I checked we didn't go up.  This season, after a play off run, in Div 4, it's all about promotion.  Anything else is a failure.  We are on OK side, we don't get overrun but we equally don't push teams aside.  We can stay in the hunt until Jan, but we have to get those missing pieces at that point.  I can't see us being top 3 with what we have.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:18:03 »

Oh, and even signing Jephcott and keeping McKirdy probably had us a forward short because Adeloye is a bust.  You hope the young lad can fill that slot, but we look much weaker right now in the front three.  I like Wakeling and think Jephcott is a decent enough player, but they do not look comfortable in their current positions and we have nobody to push them.  Williams a forward is not, drifts wide and deep too often to offer direct support, tricky a player as he might be.
DMC

« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:20:21 »

Jephcott was the player we needed between two wider players, McKirdy being one and Wakeling hopefully being the other.  Bogus is referring to Hepburn-Murphy, who is as unproven as they come because he hasn't done it at any level yet other than youth and seems to be forever injured.  We needed Jephcott plus someone else who could play first team football right away.

DMC - we may be tracking last season, but last time I checked we didn't go up.  This season, after a play off run, in Div 4, it's all about promotion.  Anything else is a failure.  We are on OK side, we don't get overrun but we equally don't push teams aside.  We can stay in the hunt until Jan, but we have to get those missing pieces at that point.  I can't see us being top 3 with what we have.
Sorry but if we are going to compare players from last year then it's only right we compare results as well. I know exactly who he meant but my point was we signed Jephcott to replace his goals . I just think we actually ironically need to stop banging on about McKirdy as he was never the same as last season and was never going to be. We are harder to beat now and a different squad.

I agree we are not top 3 looking at the moment but lets at least wait and see instead of constantly saying everything is shit
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:21:15 »

I typed out a long reply which timed out, but it was essentially what Rob said.

I don’t feel I’m deliberately negative, but it probably comes across that way as disappointed we haven’t looked like a team on the pitch capable of kicking on from last season (on the pitch, off field is a different matter)

Like the year on year thing  - I don’t think parity with last year should necessarily be applauded, given the respective summers. There’s also a strength of opposition thing too, given we’d beaten Mansfield, Bristol rovers and Forest Green a year ago but failed to win all 5 of our games versus top 7 opposition so far. Form and timing comes into play so not a perfect comparison, but I think a year ago we looked like a side capable of mixing with and beating the best in the division - this year we look like flat track bullies

DMC

« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:23:17 »

Oh, and even signing Jephcott and keeping McKirdy probably had us a forward short because Adeloye is a bust.  You hope the young lad can fill that slot, but we look much weaker right now in the front three.  I like Wakeling and think Jephcott is a decent enough player, but they do not look comfortable in their current positions and we have nobody to push them.  Williams a forward is not, drifts wide and deep too often to offer direct support, tricky a player as he might be.
But that is just your opinion Rob, the manager and club will not be thinking that at all. They probably feel like the lad is worth longer than the 204 minutes of football he has played before passing judgement
DMC

« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:30:37 »

I typed out a long reply which timed out, but it was essentially what Rob said.

I don’t feel I’m deliberately negative, but it probably comes across that way as disappointed we haven’t looked like a team on the pitch capable of kicking on from last season (on the pitch, off field is a different matter)

Like the year on year thing  - I don’t think parity with last year should necessarily be applauded, given the respective summers. There’s also a strength of opposition thing too, given we’d beaten Mansfield, Bristol rovers and Forest Green a year ago but failed to win all 5 of our games versus top 7 opposition so far. Form and timing comes into play so not a perfect comparison, but I think a year ago we looked like a side capable of mixing with and beating the best in the division - this year we look like flat track bullies
Constantly negative wasn't fair Dave it just seems as a fan base we have kind of bought into a really shit negative summer and not really got behind anyone at all this season.

We have fans slagging of Khan saturday for doing too many turns and moaning we are beating teams who are shit. I get your point about who we beat last year but we also got beat by some absolute horse shit as well. I would also point out we have in our defence only lost to 2 out the 9 teams we have played in the top half
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: