Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24892 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:51:46 »

Constantly negative wasn't fair Dave it just seems as a fan base we have kind of bought into a really shit negative summer and not really got behind anyone at all this season.

I had to raise a wry smile reading the MTD that at least one fan (I forget who) stated he didn't even cheer when we scored on Saturday.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 14:13:44 »

Constantly negative wasn't fair Dave it just seems as a fan base we have kind of bought into a really shit negative summer and not really got behind anyone at all this season.

We have fans slagging of Khan saturday for doing too many turns and moaning we are beating teams who are shit. I get your point about who we beat last year but we also got beat by some absolute horse shit as well. I would also point out we have in our defence only lost to 2 out the 9 teams we have played in the top half

I think we were a bit feast or famine a year ago, and people are annoyed that we aren’t feasting this year and ignoring that we’re not famining either

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 14:21:08 »

But that is just your opinion Rob, the manager and club will not be thinking that at all. They probably feel like the lad is worth longer than the 204 minutes of football he has played before passing judgement

Not sure if we are getting crossed wires on players here.  J Williams has many years of experience, and none of it suggests he is a front three type of player.  He is a very good wide player or sort of deeper 10 in a midfield, much better than this level.  He is not the answer to our goalscoring needs though.

I'm not negative either, I keep saying we have an OK team, we are doing OK.  If this was last season I'd be happy enough, but it isn't.  Like it or not, our performance in this Division is measured by our history, size, potential etc.  A season outside the play offs is miserable, a season not getting promoted is manageable so long as we look close.  A couple in a row starts to get the grumbles.  Personally, not competing for top three this season is an underperformance all things considered and I just don't see us there yet......yet.  January could change that.  That is very much just my opinion and would be glad to have it rammed down my throat, because to do so would mean we start winning a lot more games.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:07:13 »

It's funny how the expectation changes our perspective on a season.

After the same number of games, only once in the last 15 seasons have we had more points than we have so far this season, and that was in 2014/15
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:17:45 »

But that expectation is relevant - Div 4 seasons are not comparable to Div3 when looking at how many points because we wouldn't always expect to be a top 3 team the next level up.

The Di Canio season we had just started to find form, so I imagine the mood was improving.  Wellens' season is a possible comparator.  Doyle was just about to click and we won 8 of 9 from this point.  I'll eat my words if we manage that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:25:51 »

It's funny how the expectation changes our perspective on a season.

After the same number of games, only once in the last 15 seasons have we had more points than we have so far this season, and that was in 2014/15

Is it just perception?

A couple of promotions:
Di Canio won 11 out of 12 after Christmas
And Wellens won 8 and drew 1 out of 9 from October 22nd in the PPG season

We have just won 5 from 7

We've peaked too early Smiley

edit: damn you Rob for pointing this out already.
==================
I think the perception comment is valid. I wanted to kick on with the core squad from last year, but we usually have to start again. The perception is we should have had more disposable income to put together an even better squad. So far we haven't -  we aren't near the autos in points or the teams in them when we've met on the pitch.

Its early in the season. Form is good. We'll see.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:29:38 by Batch » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:39:52 »

I’m not sure it is perception. The Power years have sucked the expectation of something good ever happening at the club. The first sign of a levelling off from last season and it’s easy to see why some are overcome with doom and gloom again.

It’s the feeling of treading water.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 15:43:02 »

I just took a look at the Wellens matchday threads.  The ones just before now were getting a bit twitchy but it looks like the good start retained some goodwill because of injuries.  We clicked into gear around now and the mood changed rapidly as it was clear we had a good squad in most peoples eyes.

I was overly positive and DMC was telling everyone the fans have every right to moan.  Nothing's changed, oh.

To be clear, I am "content" right now.  I think we are looking short of where I'd hoped we be, but I think some good work in January could change that.  If we don't kick on in Jan I may become a bit moany.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 17:13:47 »

I am happy with things - in the playoff mix

its still early and a lot could happen . Finishing in the play offs would be a good season.

I think that an automatic spot is out of reach
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2022, 08:48:19 »

I had to raise a wry smile reading the MTD that at least one fan (I forget who) stated he didn't even cheer when we scored on Saturday.

Me, but there were plenty of others too. Probably didn't help that I forgot to put my glasses on and didn't see it go in.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: