Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 25110 times)
DMC

« Reply #315 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 16:34:18 »

Short memories from a lot on here. Ellis was fantastic last season. I'm not seeing much in Blake Tracey that I don't thunk that ellis can do. Especially not in the crossing and through ball department.
Defensively FBT is light years ahead of him . Agree about getting forward but that will be a conscious effort from the manager not being so open
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 17:42:58 »

it's just me to be fair. He was good in midfield last year.

I'll disagree at left back.
I can't remember him too much in midfield. Unless your including lwb? He was first choice left back and had his best season to date with us.if you flick through mom votes last season he would have been the higher end of the team and without looking the best defender I'm sure

EDIT. Red Frog data below:

CONSISTENCY: In total votes accumulated across the season, the top five voted MoM nominees were:
5th: Jonny WILLIAMS (176)
4th: Louis REED (220)
3rd: Jack PAYNE (274)
2nd: Ellis IANDOLO (291)
1st: Harry McKIRDY (311)

2021 MOST MoMs WINNER: This year's winner of the most MoM awards, in reverse order:
5th=: Mathieu BAUDRY, Dion CONROY, Romoney CRICHLOW, Jonny WILLIAMS (3 MoMs each)
4th: Louis REED (4)
3rd: Ellis IANDOLO (5)
2nd: Jack PAYNE (7)
1st: Harry McKIRDY (7.33)
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 18:38:39 by singingiiiffy » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 18:12:07 »

Yesterday we had 15 corners more than any other team in all four leagues but created next to nothing from them.

So, give no fucks
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 18:52:34 »

Havent read back.

FFS that was a tough watch.

A crap goal, settled a crap game with a crap ref....the three points the only positive and against them, a welcome one.

I sort of applauded with relief when it trickled in, rather than go ape as usual.

Turgid stuff....anyway im going next week and got a ticket for Bradford too. Must be fucking mad.

Clems Army!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 19:23:56 »

Everyone around me, including the steward was laughing at the goal.  Probably amongst the worst finishes Ive ever seen live.  It was very much league 2 football.  Colchester had no interest in winning, the ref seemed convinced he should assist them and we were approaching adequate at best. 

Had the ref allowed our perfectly good goal early on Colchester might have tried.  Instead we just tried and got there eventually.  Deserved it.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 19:28:27 »

Quote from: singingiiiffy
I can't remember him too much in midfield. Unless your including lwb? He was first choice left back and had his best season to date with us.if

I didn't say I was right! Others seem to see something I don't at left back.

But his biggest issue in recent season has been injury . It's really knackered his prep for this season.

I wish him well
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 20:31:41 »

Don’t you think Ellis doesn’t seem that fit? I remember him holding his knees a lot last year gasping for air, but have noticed him doing that within 2/3 mins of coming on.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 20:36:56 »

it's inevitable that he has catching up to do. I doubt he's unfit in general. Getting up to match speed is going to take a bit. Thought he looked better in that regard Saturday
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 21:39:57 »

Ugly game. 3 points all that matters. First quarter of season I’d say performances have been very average, yet in play off contention, so surely when performances are consistently good and we find a settled best XI, should go from strength to strength and add some firepower in Jan.

Hutton and FBT solid, defensively sound. Thought Baudry struggled. Darcy annoymous, runs around but offered absolutely nothing bar firing shots into the town end. Wakeling is wasted out wide. I’d pack our midfield out, get Reed back in and just use a diamond kinda set up, with two strikers?

Khan my MOM, pretty easy choice.

Very winnable 3 pts next Saturday, should be in play offs come 5 o’clock next week.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 06:03:18 »

Everyone around me, including the steward was laughing at the goal.  Probably amongst the worst finishes Ive ever seen live.  It was very much league 2 football.  Colchester had no interest in winning, the ref seemed convinced he should assist them and we were approaching adequate at best. 

Had the ref allowed our perfectly good goal early on Colchester might have tried.  Instead we just tried and got there eventually.  Deserved it.

I still can't understand why the first 'goal' was disallowed?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #325 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 07:18:19 »

Defensively FBT is light years ahead of him . Agree about getting forward but that will be a conscious effort from the manager not being so open
100% FBT is a way better defender and a threat from corners.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 07:54:01 »

I still can't understand why the first 'goal' was disallowed?

Just watched the highlights and agree with you. Ref was consistent and poor throughout.

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:09:18 »

100% FBT is a way better defender and a threat from corners.

There is no chance Burton (2 wins in 14) have a better left back than FBT.
They’d be stupid not recall him if/when they can.
We’d be stupid to not try and get a deal done.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #328 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:17:49 »

There is no chance Burton (2 wins in 14) have a better left back than FBT.
They’d be stupid not recall him if/when they can.
We’d be stupid to not try and get a deal done.
Absolutely, hes a solid L2 left back/centre back but maybe L2 is his level and L1 is beyond him which is why JFH got rid of him, but Dino Maamria has come in and may have a different view, I would see if we could buy him for certain, it would only be a nominal fee and FBT seems to be enjoying his game here too, no brainer.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:30:54 »

Not read back Smiley

First league game at the CG for ages and nice to be back with a fairly healthy crowd in tow. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half; at times it was a bit of a training game as Colchester made absolutely no effort to make it a contest and everything they did was absolutely inept. We dominated the play winning corner after corner, and we actually scored from one of them! I was sat right behind the header from FBT and it beautifully arked into the goal off the head of the defender on the post. I was too far away to see any infringement, but it was a huge shame as it was no more than we deserved. The second shame was that Jephcott wasn't able to put away his golden chance, superb ball by Williams, perhaps he had too much time but credit the keeper for an excellent save. I was a bit disappointed to go in at half time goalless, as stated Colchester looked diabolical and so 3 points seemed a must.

To be fair to them, aside from the consistently timewasting goalkeeper, who had been at it since minute 3, they actually came out second half and looked a touch more competent. We were clearly the better team but they showed more intent and had the best chance of the game when Baudry seemed to just vanish into thin air and Nouble was clean through and had enough time to carve a halloween pumpkin before picking any spot past Brynn. Thankfully he was the pumpkin and tried to break the net, whacking high and wide into the town end. That was a huge let off and a few minutes later after some neat possession, Jephcott played a superb ball into space for Williams to put into the danger area and Shade ended up wrong footing the keeper and defenders with a 'neat' finish. The backflip was impressive but I felt a little bit over the top given how the goal went in, but at the end of the day a goal is a goal.

Full time and a relief to get the 3 points against the worst side i've seen in a while. On another day however the side in blue and white go back with the points, some slackness in the defence remains and we still appear to have a soft underbelly. Khan is clearly a talented boy, he has the ability to create space and use the ball intelligently. As I said in the MOM thread, at times he tried to do too much and, on another day, would have been punished. He also doesn't have the ability that Gladwin or Reed has of playing the longer ball out to the full backs which at times hindered progress. The wing backs now look settled, happy with Hutton and FBT as our first-choice outlets there. I'm still not convinced Jephcott completely suits how we play, but it's too early to write him off. He works bloody hard, makes a lot of runs but 'missed' his golden chance. (credit to the keeper mind you) Despite the positive way we play, we still don't look 'dangerous' and our golden chance creation in my eyes is quite low - I am sure SL will be able to disprove this with facts. Overall the main thing is the 3 points. Another 'easy' game next week before tough matches against Bradford and Mansfield. I do think we have decent options on the bench as well, Reed, Ellis, Shade, Aguiar etc can all make an impact. The signs are good-ish.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: