Pages: 1 ... 615 616 617 [618] 619 620 621 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1208289 times)
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #9255 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 19:44:53 »

When we had the vote there was little discernible difference between the 2 main parties, both vying for the centre ground, so many people didn’t really see how a pr system would bring any real difference in outcome.
Fast forward a decade or so and many feel that neither of the 2 main parties reflect their views, with 2 extremist choices at the last election.
Sadly though I couldn’t see a rerun of that referendum having a different outcome because I think too many have unsurprisingly formed opinion is that all politicians are morally bankrupt, so would view this as simply tinkering with a broken system.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #9256 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 20:41:38 »

Bye Bye

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9257 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 20:48:45 »

When we had the vote there was little discernible difference between the 2 main parties, both vying for the centre ground, so many people didn’t really see how a pr system would bring any real difference in outcome.
Fast forward a decade or so and many feel that neither of the 2 main parties reflect their views, with 2 extremist choices at the last election.
Sadly though I couldn’t see a rerun of that referendum having a different outcome because I think too many have unsurprisingly formed opinion is that all politicians are morally bankrupt, so would view this as simply tinkering with a broken system.

The Italian PR system has since the war given them political and economic constipation.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9258 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 21:09:05 »

The Italian PR system has since the war given them political and economic constipation.

But every country in Europe uses a version of PR - bar two: the UK & Belarus.  We're outliers sticking with FPTP.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #9259 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 21:24:17 »

But every country in Europe uses a version of PR - bar two: the UK & Belarus.  We're outliers sticking with FPTP.

Why change what works?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #9260 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 22:18:34 »

Why change what works?

😲 you think this shower of shitcunts is working?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #9261 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 22:35:21 »

😲 you think this shower of shitcunts is working?

The system is. Your problem appears to be with the winning party, like all losers, the rules are shit when you’re not getting your own way. If Labour were in you’d be saying it works well.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9262 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 23:54:30 »

Meanwhile, at a government think tank in Whitehall - more revelations to why the government incumbent has used Covid-19 to suit it's own real agenda...*

*Yep this is sarcasm before anyone jizzes their knickers, in a Tory leaning fit of misunderstanding

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9263 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 09:21:56 »

But every country in Europe uses a version of PR - bar two: the UK & Belarus.  We're outliers sticking with FPTP.

Two which have rapidly fallen into quasi authoritarian state status!

The system is. Your problem appears to be with the winning party, like all losers, the rules are shit when you’re not getting your own way. If Labour were in you’d be saying it works well.

Hence why various posters have noted that it suits the two big parties and not any sort of basic representation, as it stands we have a virtual dictatorship based on receiving 43.63% of the vote.

To illustrate the absurdity of the system the Tory vote went up 1.2% on 2019 (so not the massive groundswell for the messiah that many lie to portray yet they gained 48 seats), likewise the Labour vote dropped 7.9% and they lost 60. LD vote actually went up 4.2% yet they lost a seat in total and don't even start with the SNP. The Greens only got c.400k less votes that the SNP overall yet the SNP have 48 seats the Greens 1, likewise Farage's lot!

From a personal point of view I am easily pleased, I would like a government that at least gives the basic impression that it has the remotest interest in the well being, health, safety of all of the population, has a basic moral compass, is not in the pocket of the Russians, wealthy and media barons, is not funded by dark money, does not take 1984 as a template for the governance of the county, is not actively eroding my rights, takes an interest (beyond basic lip service) in ensuring that there is a planet for my daughter and her successors to actually occupy and does not see the public as a cash cow to enrich itself and its mates.

The colour of the rosette being worn by those who seek to lead the country is of fuck all relevance, what is relevant is them having a plan for the benefit of all not seeking to screw the less privileged over and keeping to it. Is that too much to ask - apparently so?

Meanwhile, at a government think tank in Whitehall - more revelations to why the government incumbent has used Covid-19 to suit it's own real agenda...*

*Yep this is sarcasm before anyone jizzes their knickers, in a Tory leaning fit of misunderstanding

I don't think they would be that bothered, kept the commie libtards wokists out didn't it and as long as it doesn't affect me....

But again this doesn't really have much to do with Covid, however what does is our further descent into an episode of The Thick of It which was never shown as it was just too absurd and cringe worthy!

Albeit who of us cannot say we have never been ambushed by a cake!

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1486059266633043973?s=20
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 09:33:55 by horlock07 » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #9264 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 09:25:10 »

Unpicking whether the system perpetuates the shitcunts or the shitcunts perpetuate the system ought to be fun!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9265 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 09:26:35 »

I don't like the party at all, but the best example of the foibles of FPTP was the 2015 election in which UKIP won one vote in 8 across the entire country (12.6%), came third on vote share and got one seat - whilst the SNP got 56 seats from less than half the votes. Requiring all your supporters to live near each other seems like a strange requirement for a democracy.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 09:30:45 by Nemo » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #9266 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 12:08:13 »

How does the system work, we lurch from one shower of shite to another, with each trying to undo what the previous mob did.

How often (and I don’t know the answer) have we had a majority government who had less than 50% of the vote?

My guess is it’s very rare

PS. I don’t like the current lot, but be honest who in their right mind does
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9267 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 12:14:39 »

The Cameron/Clegg coalition had nearly 60% between them, but for a single party getting over 50% you're literally going pre-WW2. The Con governments of the 50s got very close, low 40s is pretty much the standard these days.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #9268 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 17:43:59 »

We had a vote on that. Anyway the weasel that instigated that is doing alright now so fuck you you little people, I’m alright Jack.

People repeatedly argue this despite it not being true.

The UK has never had a referendum on PR.

The arse that used to be my MP sold the soul of his party to  Cameron and didn't even manage to negotiate a referendum on his preferred voting system in exchange for it. Instead he compromised on a vote on the Alternative Vote, PRs ugly, fucking useless little brother.

Nobody voted for it because it's shit. Under PR you get a parliament that accurately (as possible) represents the votes of the population. 20% of the population votes for a left party, that party gets about 20% of the seats. FPTP gets you government's that most of the country doesn't want pretty much every time.

AV doesn't solve that. It just disguises it.It doesn't remove the incentive to vote for candidates you don't support to avoid someone  you hate more getting in, it just formalises it. Worse it ends up making all the major parties select candidates designed to attract the second preference votes of other parties voters. Rather than increase the range of political opinion represented in parliament, to better reflect that in the population, it narrows it towards the centre. You can understand why the Liberals could live with it.

It's a reasonable way to elect an individual leader, but a suit way to elect a representative body.

..never go back.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9269 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 18:09:16 »

STV at the 2019 General Election would have led to 88% of voters living in a constituency represented by their first choice party.  FPTP gave us only 55%

Let's not pretend a system in which 60% of voters didn't vote for the government it's democratic. The winning party is irrelevant, it's simply a failed system.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 617 [618] 619 620 621 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: