Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188621 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9300 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 13:26:08 »

Why are the daily deaths still so high if Omicron isn’t so deadly.

Simply because whilst it is potentially less deadly, loads more people are getting it than got it in previous waves therefore whilst the proportion dying is lower that's rather offset by the numbers of cases being much so much higher higher!

Its something the media seem unable to get their heads round.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #9301 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 13:30:28 »

There are a lot of people in hospital who incidentally have Covid - it's not the cause of them being in hospital.  That is different this time around because this is a milder but more transmissible variant.

I get that point but if you say there are around 1,800 deaths on an average day, and we assume a high 5% of the population(or about 3 million) have had covid in the last 28 days, that should only account for about 90 incidental deaths. I just can't seem to square that circle, unless there is a massive spread within hospitals for example.

Edit - unless whatever is killing people doesn't require ventilation to combat it?
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 13:41:56 by Broadbents Tackle » Logged

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #9302 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 14:34:51 »

Went for a PCR last night and got a positive result this morning. Very slight cold but nothing else so far thankfully.

A mixture of wake & bake, Football Manager and lots of housework/rearranging (I sadly love doing this) has made isolation day 1 very enjoyable!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9303 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 14:45:40 »

There are a lot of people in hospital who incidentally have Covid - it's not the cause of them being in hospital.  That is different this time around because this is a milder but more transmissible variant.

Over half the reported covid hopitalisations are not in hospital because of covid, they are in hospital for something else and happen to have covid as well. Reported today.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9304 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 15:10:28 »

Went for a PCR last night and got a positive result this morning. Very slight cold but nothing else so far thankfully.

A mixture of wake & bake, Football Manager and lots of housework/rearranging (I sadly love doing this) has made isolation day 1 very enjoyable!

My sister caught it about a week ago.  Rather pleased on Day 1 that she would be isolating away from the rest of the family.  Feet up, R&R, plenty of TV and reading.  The following day, her 3 kids went down with it as well.  Peace & quiet didn't last long.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #9305 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 15:42:25 »

I should add that before going for a PCR on Wednesday evening, I have been taking daily LFTs and all negative. I've just taken another now and it's still negative - they aren't effective.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #9306 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 16:01:48 »

I meant to ask about deaths actually. Why do they do reported deaths within 28 days of a positive test? Surely it's a completely inaccurate way of reporting the number of people that actually die of Covid, as the numbers will include people that had Covid and died of completely different causes. So if you get run over, or murdered within 28 days of a positive Covid test you are included in the stats? Why can't they just report the actual number of people who have died as a result of Covid?

The BBC podcast/Radio 4 show "More or Less" covered this this week in response to GB News and other reporting that actual numbers of deaths purely with COVID was only 17k.

Essentially, as others have said, in most cases, there are other causes at play resulting in death, such as pneumonia caused by COVID etc. They recon 80-90% of deaths with COVID mentioned, COVID would be the root cause. So that 17k figure that usually morally bankrupt news and twitter reporters were all jumping on...is bollocks.

Can't remember exactly where i read or heard it but there would be a delay of a couple of weeks in the reporting of "true" covid death figures, where as the "within 28 days" figure is much quicker and more accessible to report whilst still giving a relatively accurate picture of what's going on.

TLDR - its easy for people to pick out the oddities of people being hit by a bus etc, but it's still a largely accurate and immediate way of getting an idea of the trends.

EDIT - didnt see it first time but BrightonRed has mentioned the speed of the ONS data also. glad it wasnt something i dreamt up.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 16:09:23 by WEBBERhyde » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9307 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 16:18:25 »

Thanks Webber, appreciate the information. Very useful.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9308 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 18:06:32 »

I disagree, the voting system works fine, it is the shite that gets elected that is the problem. Next is the central  government and local government machines.

In my opinion it's the voting system itself that leads to a lot of the shite that gets elected.  Too many safe seats, no need to appeal outside your core vote, low voter turnout, all part of the problem.

Anyway, apologies for being part of a thread derailment (although that's a TEF standard). I all with Covid have a lesser variant and recover.  Stay safe.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #9309 on: Thursday, January 27, 2022, 18:59:20 »

The BBC podcast/Radio 4 show "More or Less" covered this this week in response to GB News and other reporting that actual numbers of deaths purely with COVID was only 17k.

Essentially, as others have said, in most cases, there are other causes at play resulting in death, such as pneumonia caused by COVID etc. They recon 80-90% of deaths with COVID mentioned, COVID would be the root cause. So that 17k figure that usually morally bankrupt news and twitter reporters were all jumping on...is bollocks.

Can't remember exactly where i read or heard it but there would be a delay of a couple of weeks in the reporting of "true" covid death figures, where as the "within 28 days" figure is much quicker and more accessible to report whilst still giving a relatively accurate picture of what's going on.

TLDR - its easy for people to pick out the oddities of people being hit by a bus etc, but it's still a largely accurate and immediate way of getting an idea of the trends.

EDIT - didnt see it first time but BrightonRed has mentioned the speed of the ONS data also. glad it wasnt something i dreamt up.

Thanks Webb; nailed it. To save you the bother next time, you can just jump from 'GB News reported' to 'is bollocks'. 100% correlation between those two variables.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9310 on: Friday, January 28, 2022, 09:22:26 »

I call Shenanigans! (Djokovic)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59999541
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9311 on: Friday, January 28, 2022, 14:09:40 »

Predictably, my eldest child has tested positive today too.

Despite having a bit of a scratchy throat and feeling really tired, I'm still testing negative. I assume that's just the vaccine doing it's job and the viral load is too low to pick up?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9312 on: Friday, January 28, 2022, 14:27:18 »

Despite having a bit of a scratchy throat and feeling really tired, I'm still testing negative. I assume that's just the vaccine doing it's job and the viral load is too low to pick up?

More likely you have a cold or another virus and are negative, as you'd be more likely to be asymptomatic and positive than have symptoms and test negative.

Or you just haven't had it long enough to test positive yet. Or a false negative.

Worth trying again tomorrow, I would say.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #9313 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2022, 17:14:33 »

Two positive LFT for me now - so a PCR on its way.

I feel like I've got a bit of flu, tired, low energy, feeling dizzy (which is not like flu)

Important question is: Given I work from home, and I'm triple vaccinated, how much sick leave can I claim before people think I'm taking the piss?

All I hear is how mild Omicron is. I feel like shite!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #9314 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2022, 17:20:09 »

Keep testing for another few days, sounds very similar to my sister-in-law who tested positive around 3 days after symptoms started.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: