Pages: 1 ... 817 818 819 [820] 821 822 823 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995931 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12285 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:16:27 »

Liz Truss is no mug.

Any examples of this? A good speech, a good bit of debate in the chamber? Genuinely keen to know if any exist.

From a quick look at Wikipedia she is the daughter of a maths professor and a CND campaigner, and was born and educated in  Oxford - so must have something going on up there after all. Was president of the Lib Dem group when at Oxford. She worked for Shell as a graduate and then made it to 'economic director' of Cable & Wireless.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:23:27 by mystical_goat » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #12286 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:19:52 »

I find it quite amusing that many on the left in Labour want Starmer out because he's too close to the centre.

The thing they seem to have forgotten, that a truly left/labour leader hasn't won an election since 1974.
Since then the country has mainly become more Nationalistic/Right wing.

Which in and of itself is a huge, huge shame

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12287 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:21:07 »

Why would anyone want a far left, or far anything party in? Crazy.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12288 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:34:32 »

Agreed. Extremism is bad, either which way.

Having said that, Starmer is the ultimate fence sitting tool, but given the shambolic state of the current government it probably hasn't been a bad play.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12289 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 15:55:12 »

Any examples of this? A good speech, a good bit of debate in the chamber? Genuinely keen to know if any exist.

From a quick look at Wikipedia she is the daughter of a maths professor and a CND campaigner, and was born and educated in  Oxford - so must have something going on up there after all. Was president of the Lib Dem group when at Oxford. She worked for Shell as a graduate and then made it to 'economic director' of Cable & Wireless.

TBF I was born in Oxford and I don't think that has contributed much rto my having anything up there. I am broadly a contemporary of Truss (aren't politicians getting young - Sunak is but a child) thankfully she moved away from her area of birth at an early stage otherwise I would likely have been knocking about the same haunts as her in my late teens which could have had unfortunate consequences.

Her highlights reel https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1549396990051639296

I see she is lauding her economic plans today as they are supported by the economist Patrick Minford, who in the past suggested that Brexit would leave the country billions of pounds better off and that introducing the minimum wage would plunge millions into unemployment.

Anyway looking more and more like a Truss shoe in.

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #12290 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 16:15:05 »

Dig up Harold Wilson I say, even his corpse would do a better job than anyone currently an MP.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12291 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 18:18:42 »

TBF I was born in Oxford and I don't think that has contributed much rto my having anything up there.

Do you have a degree in PPE from Oxford though?
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #12292 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 19:11:13 »

You've had an extremely right wing party in power for the last 12 years for duck sake. It's only the fact that most of the mainstream media is controlled by a handful of billionaire right wing shitbags that allows that to go unmentioned.

If you letting the daily mail define what's extreme then you're in tucking trouble.

..never go back.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #12293 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 19:28:40 »

You've had an extremely right wing party in power for the last 12 years for duck sake. It's only the fact that most of the mainstream media is controlled by a handful of billionaire right wing shitbags that allows that to go unmentioned.

If you letting the daily mail define what's extreme then you're in tucking trouble.

Extremely right wing? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #12294 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 20:49:50 »

It’s been centre right for years and years.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12295 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 21:04:18 »

The Tories aren't extreme Right Wing, not by a long chalk.  They have started to dip into some of the more extreme areas though.  Hopefully they don't follow the path of the Republican's here who seem to have completely fallen into the Populist trap.

In the same vein, the Labour Party is not extreme Left Wing, even when Corbyn was in charge.  There was a risk in the 80's they might go that way.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12296 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 00:36:35 »

Corbyn, Galloway, Foot, Benn etc.....no thanks.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12297 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 07:28:45 »

It’s been centre right for years and years.

Broadly it has, but I do think it's actually been quite different in the detail over the last 12 years or so.

Cameron was socially liberal (equal marriage etc.) but economically as dry right wing as they come - heavy austerity which is really starting to bite now in public services.

Johnson is significantly more populist authoritarian socially (see Rwanda, Police & Crime Bill) but much more open to public spending than Cameron - this government more or less nationalised employment at one point (of course, in the context of a national crisis, they might behave very differently in more normal times).

Both can be fairly described as centre-right, but there are policies there in the detail that are much further right or even heading towards left wing. May's government was so hamstrung by Brexit that it's essentially impossible to place where she might have been.

Ironically, probably the most authoritarian right wing policy proposed in my lifetime would be Blair proposing 90 day detention without charge - and that from the government that also did proper left wing policies like the minimum wage, SureStart, major investments in health and education and so on.

From what I've seen in the contest so far, Sunak is a return to Cameroonian economics, and Truss a much more continuity Johnson approach.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12298 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 07:50:02 »

From what I've seen in the contest so far, Sunak is a return to Cameroonian economics, and Truss a much more continuity Johnson approach.

So if Sunak becomes PM do you expect Roger Milla style dancing as he announces policy?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #12299 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 07:51:43 »

If that is the case he has my vote! 😂
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 819 [820] 821 822 823 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: