Pages: 1 ... 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995636 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12300 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 09:16:10 »

Broadly it has, but I do think it's actually been quite different in the detail over the last 12 years or so.

Cameron was socially liberal (equal marriage etc.) but economically as dry right wing as they come - heavy austerity which is really starting to bite now in public services.

Johnson is significantly more populist authoritarian socially (see Rwanda, Police & Crime Bill) but much more open to public spending than Cameron - this government more or less nationalised employment at one point (of course, in the context of a national crisis, they might behave very differently in more normal times).

Both can be fairly described as centre-right, but there are policies there in the detail that are much further right or even heading towards left wing. May's government was so hamstrung by Brexit that it's essentially impossible to place where she might have been.

Ironically, probably the most authoritarian right wing policy proposed in my lifetime would be Blair proposing 90 day detention without charge - and that from the government that also did proper left wing policies like the minimum wage, SureStart, major investments in health and education and so on.

From what I've seen in the contest so far, Sunak is a return to Cameroonian economics, and Truss a much more continuity Johnson approach.

Pretty much this albeit its worth noting that there has been something of a lurch to the right in recent years both via the entryists from UKIP and Britain First etc.

The more interesting feature is the way that the tumour of ERG has infected the Conservative Party body politic, making a party whose key virtue was traditionally it's lack of ideology to become highly ideological. Even in Thatcher's heyday, "wets" were still able to be in Cabinet; Brexit orthodoxy has now become a form of golden calf that all must bow down to, for fear of excommunication by the Brexit high priests JRM and Steve Baker.

Killing that cancer is vital for the Tory party in the way that excising Militant was for Labour in the 1980s - fail to do so, and it will become a cult looking ever more inwards.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #12301 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 12:00:48 »

Problem for labour is that they will have to come up with some actual policies near a GE up to now they have dined out on how bad they think the Tories are especially assisted by the media.

Would be interesting what comes out of the freedom of info request with Durham Police. Apparently they were issuing FPNs to Starmer and Rayner and the chief constable under pressure pulled it. If this comes out will be interesting to see the lack of media coverage to that
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12302 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 12:42:04 »

how bad they think the Tories are especially assisted by the media.

They've assisted themselves there.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12303 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 10:57:41 »

They've assisted themselves there.

I didn't think the word bad describes the Tories very well😀

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #12304 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 15:37:30 »

Problem for labour is that they will have to come up with some actual policies near a GE up to now they have dined out on how bad they think the Tories are especially assisted by the media.

Would be interesting what comes out of the freedom of info request with Durham Police. Apparently they were issuing FPNs to Starmer and Rayner and the chief constable under pressure pulled it. If this comes out will be interesting to see the lack of media coverage to that
Apparently they were issuing FPNs to Starmer and Rayner and the chief constable under pressure pulled it ?

Tbf, before becoming interested in a lack of media coverage, I'd be interested in your actual sources for that statement?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #12305 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 17:00:33 »

Apparently they were issuing FPNs to Starmer and Rayner and the chief constable under pressure pulled it ?

Tbf, before becoming interested in a lack of media coverage, I'd be interested in your actual sources for that statement?

Probably the Daily Fail
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12306 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 08:21:58 »

Does anyone else find it really quite surreal that we're heading for 77% energy bill increases in a month or two and there's barely a whisper about it from the government, media or the two leadership candidates? It just feels bizarre that they're all banging on about made up culture war things when half the country is going to struggle to heat their homes this winter. What is a government for if not that?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12307 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 08:35:11 »

Does anyone else find it really quite surreal that we're heading for 77% energy bill increases in a month or two and there's barely a whisper about it from the government, media or the two leadership candidates? It just feels bizarre that they're all banging on about made up culture war things when half the country is going to struggle to heat their homes this winter. What is a government for if not that?

Topped with another 0.5% interest rate predicted which only suits the wealthy!

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #12308 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 08:58:45 »

But effectively, we don't have a government at the moment, and haven't had a functioning one for a number of years, I think the last few months have proved that.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12309 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 09:03:33 »

But effectively, we don't have a government at the moment, and haven't had a functioning one for a number of years, I think the last few months have proved that.
100% agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12310 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 15:31:40 »

Base rate up to 1.75%

Interestingly money markets have base rate increasing to near 3% by the end of 2023 but then plateauing and declining in the mid/long term

Those predicted rates will already be priced into existing mortgage and savings rates, btw

Things get better but they never get good
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12311 on: Thursday, August 4, 2022, 23:12:27 »

Don't pay your energy bill in October. If lots of us do it, it could be effective. They're aiming for 1 million:

https://dontpay.uk/
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #12312 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 08:17:27 »

Don't pay your energy bill in October. If lots of us do it, it could be effective. They're aiming for 1 million:

https://dontpay.uk/

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12313 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 09:51:39 »

This is what the Tory turds say when they think we’re not listening

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/conservatives/2022/08/exclusive-rishi-sunak-taking-money-deprived-urban-areas
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #12314 on: Friday, August 5, 2022, 10:45:15 »

Hang on - Context is key. Not sure what he said before or what he said after. But, you can pull a soundbite out of anything and make it sound worse than it is. I really detest fake news and slamming people for the wrong things.

My position is that out of the 2 Tory leadership contestants, I think that Sunak's outlook might be better than Truss's - But, I'm no expert. Furthermore, I don't like the fact of an unelected leader as PM - I didn't like it with Gordon Brown either.

I'd like to see a snap election. But I fear that the opposition are just as poor as the present incumbents.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: