Pages: 1 ... 816 817 818 [819] 820 821 822 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996339 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12270 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 08:48:20 »

Technically it kind of is. 150,000 Tory members will vote.

Who are you voting for?  Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12271 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 08:49:12 »

When is the vote in a few weeks time?

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12272 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:08:03 »

Who are you voting for?  Smiley

Suicide

I'm not eligible as you are very much well aware.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12273 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:08:57 »

Suicide

I'm not eligible as you are very much well aware.

I've voted in two party political leadership contests and not picked a winner yet, so perhaps I should join the Tories and vote Truss...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12274 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:09:57 »

I've voted in two party political leadership contests and not picked a winner yet, so perhaps I should join the Tories and vote Truss...

I wouldn't be against that plan. Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12275 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:15:57 »

I'm feeling quite sanguine about the whole thing TBH, I cannot see either not being a total shit show for the country and as I don't have a vote in this summers dog fight just going to sit back and watch them all fight it out with every word likely further digging a hole (as Starmers questions at PMQ's yesterday just showed), I assume they will provide ammunition for many more PMQ's over the summer, from their own mouths.

Amused viewing for those of us not wedded to a rosette of any colour and re-engage in September when the soap opera concludes, country is pretty fucked whatever happens.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #12276 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:22:11 »

LBC went to....Essex, this am for a vox pop on Truss v Sunak

"Yeah, that Truss is ok but she needs a stylist"

"I'll vote for him, that Indian fella"  

Roll Eyes

Moss

Ignore
« Reply #12277 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 09:28:01 »

I suspect the Tories want to lose the next election. Let Labour pick up the complete shit show of a fucked economy, a failing public sector, the carnage of Brexit. Then they can blame Labour for fucking it all up and the the pond life that make up the majority of the Great British public will vote them in for another three terms.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #12278 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 10:20:14 »

Rinse and repeat

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12279 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 12:18:21 »

Yes you’re right, just think how stupid they’d have been voting in labour led by none other than oh Jeremy Corbyn, oh Jeremy Corbyn. Captain hindsight might have breathed a huge sigh of relief when Boris resigned but he needs to be careful what he wishes for. Liz Truss is no mug. Rishi like a lot of politicians comes with baggage not least because he and his wife are minted, that alone will have the savage far left gnashing at marrow bones. Still along way to go until the next GE and a lot can happen. Then the stupid English public get another chance to be stupid. Don’t forget mate, unless I’m mistaken, aren’t you a member of the English public too?

Lets be clear, the vast majority of the electorate do NOT vote for the party in power.  The FPTP ensures minority parties manage to get huge majorities.  Also worth noting that the Right side of politics hasn't garnered 50% of the vote since 1935 I believe (and that's only 50% of the 60-70% who vote).
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12280 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 12:23:55 »

Strange how FPTP is fine for us plebs but not for the Tory leadership election.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12281 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 12:24:36 »

Lets be clear, the vast majority of the electorate do NOT vote for the party in power.  The FPTP ensures minority parties manage to get huge majorities.  Also worth noting that the Right side of politics hasn't garnered 50% of the vote since 1935 I believe (and that's only 50% of the 60-70% who vote).

UKIP + Tories got 51% in 2015. UKIP got nearly 13% of the total vote and won no seats in one of the most egregious examples of FPTP being anti-democratic we've ever seen. Voting reform *shouldn't* just be a left wing talking point.

Of course, to use a well worn phrase, UKIP "won the argument" as Cameron then called the referendum to defang them.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12282 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 12:28:25 »

I count UKIP has 50% extreme right and 50% extreme left.  Very right wing on Nationalism, very left wing on economic policy.  One of the reasons Boris got the job and into power - the Conservative Party peeled off that previously TUC loving voter who likes a flag (or maybe some who wouldn't have voted at all in the past because they were not traditional left or right voters).
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12283 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 12:45:26 »

Agree with a few of these recent posts. FPTP is fucked and both the Tories and Labour lost support to UKIP over the years and part of the tories success was claiming it back.

A lot of Labour and their supporters much to their own detriment don't even want to acknowledge them losing voters to UKIP and look internally at why that might be. They just brush it off and put it down to a small amount of racists. The actual very real policies of UKIP that are palatable to those that lean left wouldn't ever be admitted to.

Just like Brexit in general. Most remain supporting left wingers buried their heads in the sand when it came to anti Europe sentiment from their own party and again did what they always do, made it a right wing vs left wing issue. Would just rather paint a picture of Brexit being a racist extreme right endeavour that couldn't win.

Again, they lost.

Yet they never learn and constantly brush anything they don't like off with a sanctimonious snub coupled with a racism card and its lost them support for decades with failure after failure.

If they can't win the next GE though, Labour should just fold. How bad does it have to get before they can win?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #12284 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 14:01:09 »

If they can't win the next GE though, Labour should just fold. How bad does it have to get before they can win?

I find it quite amusing that many on the left in Labour want Starmer out because he's too close to the centre.

The thing they seem to have forgotten, that a truly left/labour leader hasn't won an election since 1974.
Since then the country has mainly become more Nationalistic/Right wing.
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 818 [819] 820 821 822 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: