Pages: 1 ... 813 814 815 [816] 817 818 819 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2017228 times)
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #12225 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 16:48:00 »

Fucking depressing that despite the worst Prime Minister in history who holds the working and middle classes in absolute contempt, the general public are such thick fucking cunts they'll still vote for the fucking Tory's.

You should have to take a political awareness exam before you are allowed to vote. Labour unelectable. Jesus wept. 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12226 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 17:27:41 »

Fucking depressing that despite the worst Prime Minister in history who holds the working and middle classes in absolute contempt, the general public are such thick fucking cunts they'll still vote for the fucking Tory's.

You should have to take a political awareness exam before you are allowed to vote. Labour unelectable. Jesus wept.  

I don't really hold with this sort of thing - I think it's an attitude that is strong online because partisanship is such a powerful force in US politics that there's barely any swing at all.

Look at the recent UK polls. Tories polling in the high 20s, Labour early 40s and general left of centre parties (including the Lib Dems) well into the 60s. The UK electorate swings and swings hard when one side is deemed to be fucking things up. Make no mistake, that's why the Tories have gone full regicide, nothing to do with the sanctity of truth.  

Of course there are safe sides and 'red or blue come what may' voters. But there's a really large chunk that will move - probably because of the presence of relatively viable protest votes.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 17:30:29 by Nemo » Logged
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12227 on: Monday, July 11, 2022, 16:38:54 »

to be fair she comes across as pretty useless in many of the interviews I've seen her in

Not in the same league of uselessness as Nadine Dorries mind

I'd add Liz Truss too, particularly because she has the audacity to run for leader and is clearly not good at anything.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12228 on: Monday, July 11, 2022, 17:33:45 »

she can order more dogs to scare drones away
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12229 on: Monday, July 11, 2022, 22:30:54 »

We can be sure that there'll be no shortage of pork markets should she rise to power

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12230 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:03:04 »

So, Raab has backed Sunak, JRM and Dorries Truss. Lots of candidates in the race, but increasingly looking like:

Sunak as the choice of much of the party establishment
Truss as the continuity Johnson candidate
Mordaunt as the choice of a fair chunk of the backbenches
Tugendhat as the one nation, centrist choice who won't win (Rory Stewart Mk. 2)

Then a wide variety of assorted loons on the right of the party fighting over the ERG vote (Braverman/Badenoch/Patel)

And then Hunt, Shapps, Javid, Zahawi and a few others who have a reasonable profile but not really that much support.

For anyone who isn't a Tory, it's a bit of a "pick your poison" but there are definitely better and worse choices. At the moment, they all seem to be competing to announce the biggest tax cut, apart from Sunak who is telling them there's no money to do that with. He's probably right, but I can't imagine it'll win him many friends.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12231 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:08:20 »

Like picking your favourite dog poo
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12232 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:12:05 »

Well, perhaps, but one or two of those dogs are Alsatians that have spent the last week eating roadkill.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12233 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:14:27 »

Then a wide variety of assorted loons on the right of the party fighting over the ERG vote (Braverman/Badenoch/Patel)
I thought Mordaunt was ERG too.

There's a fair few that will favour 1970s white dog poo.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12234 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:16:32 »

I thought Mordaunt was ERG too.

She is, but her support so far isn't really. Badenoch and Braverman have only Brexiteers backing them, Mordaunt a bit more balanced. This is quite interesting for nerds like me who care about who supports who:

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/07/conservative-leadership-election-candidates-who-backing/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12235 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 10:19:14 »

Ah, I see.

Anybody know the point of Labour tabling the "no confidence" vote? It won't succeed, since it could trigger a GE.

I suppose it gives another stick, "they asked him to leave, but won't vote to remove him" - but its a bit weak under the current circumstances.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12236 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 12:20:00 »

Ah, I see.

Anybody know the point of Labour tabling the "no confidence" vote? It won't succeed, since it could trigger a GE.

I suppose it gives another stick, "they asked him to leave, but won't vote to remove him" - but its a bit weak under the current circumstances.

It's a stunt to lump all the current Tory incumbents in with Johnson. They are desperately trying to distance themselves from him to show "honour" and "integrity." A failed VoNC would show they only care about themselves and their job prospects and offers a counter to the narrative they are trying to push. Hopefully equals long term damage to the Tory brand.

Either that, or they actually act with integrity and we get a general election.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12237 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 13:03:39 »

Either that, or they actually act with integrity and we get a general election.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12238 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 13:14:15 »

On a slight point of nerdery, losing a vote of confidence does not automatically call an election. If it was clear that, say, deputy PM Dominic Raab *could* win a confidence vote to lead a caretaker govt. then the Queen can invite him to form a government instead of dissolving parliament entirely. As with many things in our system, it's not exactly certain how that all works, but there's certainly a path where the Conservative MPs could remove Johnson without accidentally calling an election. Which makes it even less justifiable that they won't do it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12239 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 13:22:58 »

So, Raab has backed Sunak

Don & Non Dom.....
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 815 [816] 817 818 819 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: