Pages: 1 ... 762 763 764 [765] 766 767 768 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996109 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11460 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:00:30 »

In the articles I've read about the proposed voter ID law I can't see a benefit case being quoted or an issue being sized and addressed. I do feel slightly gaslit that this is an immediate issue for the government

Govt's own figures suggest that this will knock 2m+ out of the electorate immediately unless they apply for a passport.

So apparently because of covid its no time for a democratically mandated Scottish referendum, but is time to piss around with electoral rules which aren't broke?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11461 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:32:16 »

Govt's own figures suggest that this will knock 2m+ out of the electorate immediately unless they apply for a passport.

So apparently because of covid its no time for a democratically mandated Scottish referendum, but is time to piss around with electoral rules which aren't broke?
They've looked at the "success" of similar gerrymandering schemes by the Republicans in the US to further disenfranchise already marginalised voters and said "Yep, we'll have some of that". Massively anti-democratic, expect it to sail through the Commons with stirring articles from all the usual suspects in the press on the "perils" of virtually non-existent voter fraud.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11462 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:39:24 »

They've looked at the "success" of similar gerrymandering schemes by the Republicans in the US to further disenfranchise already marginalised voters and said "Yep, we'll have some of that". Massively anti-democratic, expect it to sail through the Commons with stirring articles from all the usual suspects in the press on the "perils" of virtually non-existent voter fraud.

Talking of the potential for voter fraud, I wonder whether the Electoral Commission are going to look at the massive uplift in turnout in the Tees Mayoral election and the fact that they nearly all the uplift seem to have mysteriously voted Tory.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11463 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:57:50 »

Oops! Tory candidate for Wiltshire PCC has been barred after the Tories failed to disclose his drink driving conviction:

https://news.sky.com/story/police-commissioner-candidate-jonathon-seed-bitterly-disappointed-after-being-disbarred-over-30-year-old-drink-drive-conviction-12302315

With the count due to be done today, does it proceed or does the election have to be re-run? If it is the latter, I trust the Tory Party will pay the full cost of the re-run as it is their error (or dishonesty?) that has caused the issue
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #11464 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:15:56 »

If Seed wins, there'll be a re-run

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11465 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:52:43 »

If Seed wins, there'll be a re-run
And will the Tory party who's incompetence/dishonesty caused the need for a re-run pay for it or will they expect the taxpayer to stump up for their fuck-up/deceit? (largely rhetorical question, obviously)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #11466 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 13:35:33 »

It seems as if Seed decided he was pulling out of the race and the party were of the opinion they removed him. I'd be happy if they split the costs tbh...

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.

Ignore
« Reply #11467 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 15:51:31 »

Seed is a particularly vile piece of shit. A truly horrible man.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #11468 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 17:09:29 »

And will the Tory party who's incompetence/dishonesty caused the need for a re-run pay for it or will they expect the taxpayer to stump up for their fuck-up/deceit? (largely rhetorical question, obviously)

Let’s hope they do. It will set a president for everyone else to follow. Which could hurt some of the more skint political parties. 
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11469 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 17:24:51 »

Seed is a particularly vile piece of shit. A truly horrible man.

Phew, luckily I did not vote for him. So can you tell me/us how lucky we were not voting for him by enlightening us to your view of what an unsavoury individual he apparently is? Aside to his 30 year old conviction for drink driving.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #11470 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 18:18:15 »

I didn't like Seed as he was a hunt master and was on record as saying the current hunting laws ought to be done away with entirely. He didn't say the laws ought to be taken away due to being utterly ineffective, he just wanted to legally hunt foxes instead of "trails"

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11471 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 11:17:54 »

He was also charged with offences under the Hunting Act and lied about it when questioned. Several of his heavies were arrested for assaults on protestors during his time as Master. He certainly seems to have plenty of experience of commissioning crime although I'm not entirely sure that's what the title of Police and Crime Commissioner is supposed to mean.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11472 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 15:33:40 »

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/05/this-illiberal-queens-speech-is-the-next-step-for-authoritarian-populism-after-brexit/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11473 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 15:40:16 »

And for the TLDRs:

"Quite the Queen's Speech

Making it possible for the Prime minister to control when a general election takes place, making it harder for people to vote, making it harder to challenge government decisions, and making it harder for anyone to protest about any of this"
https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1392125915543523330

The assaults on democracy continue apace.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11474 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 16:06:38 »

The far left must be fucking livid with envy.
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 764 [765] 766 767 768 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: