Pages: 1 ... 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1628975 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6255 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 12:16:59 »

Ta, I've said before if City were up to something I strongly suspect every one of the big clubs in the PL plus the big European clubs were doing likewise!

The owners have spent hundreds of millions on sponsorship deals, but they've always pointed to the massive investments subsequently made in facilities in return.  As it boils down to a mixture of the EPL & Man City brand values, then it's a murky old world of opinions.  The baby version of this is FGR at our level, who make a significant amount of their revenue from sponsorship from Ecotricity.  They can always argue that the deal leads to exposure in the National and International press that the local Skip company wouldn't get them, so it's value is much greater for both parties as a result.

The Youth football one is interesting, they pretty much copy and pasted the Barcelona model, before Guardiola moved over.  Given the lack of reputation they had at the time, it would be rather odd for so many players from International locations to suddenly desire a move to rainy Manchester.

The fact everything always looks so obvious but then they win legal arguments goes to show they've played in the right opaque areas of sports financing I guess.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6256 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 12:53:16 »

The owners have spent hundreds of millions on sponsorship deals, but they've always pointed to the massive investments subsequently made in facilities in return.

They have spent a sodding fortune regenerating the east end of Manchester, I remember when I used to work on the canals and the area around the Etihad was basically an industrial wasteland that we were not allowed to lone work in, they have spent so much working with Manchester City  Council in the area both on their facilities but also wider regeneration projects.

The net spend over the last 5 seasons is peculiar https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city albeit I suppose City could be spending a load more on wages than others? 
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6257 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 13:06:43 »

It did help somewhat that they were handed the stadium though, so they didn't have to fork out so much for that.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #6258 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 13:28:44 »

They have spent a sodding fortune regenerating the east end of Manchester, I remember when I used to work on the canals and the area around the Etihad was basically an industrial wasteland that we were not allowed to lone work in, they have spent so much working with Manchester City  Council in the area both on their facilities but also wider regeneration projects.

The net spend over the last 5 seasons is peculiar https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city albeit I suppose City could be spending a load more on wages than others?  

The net spend is still huge, but they do better than the likes of Man Utd because they sell players on at the right time. Like last summer they received  more for Sterling and Jesus than they spent or Phillips and Haaland. When the sell Haaland they'll either triple their money or they'll get 8 seasons out of him and still recoup the outlay
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 18:54:07 by dalumpimunki » Logged

..never go back.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6259 on: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 15:48:07 »

Don’t know if this is the right place but the strength of Man City’s subs bench today v Chelsea

Ederson, Stones, Dias, Rhodri, Grealish, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Silva & Haaland.

Especially when you look at the eleven playing and think it’s quite a decent team
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6260 on: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 16:05:28 »

People are going to have to get used to the Prem being won by whichever Middle Eastern country is willing to spunk the most oil money on winning the prem whilst pretending that their own human rights issues are normal compared to the country that they own that club in.  Might as well call it the Middle Eastern Premier League.

I think you are going to see more US investment at EFL level as well, jumping on the Deadpool bandwagon - hopefully if we do get sold, we will be one of them.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6261 on: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 16:05:49 »

Don’t know if this is the right place but the strength of Man City’s subs bench today v Chelsea

Especially when you look at the eleven playing and think it’s quite a decent team

Including the subs that's only a squad of 20😀 The only way around it is to give every play an average points system like they do in speedway so you get penalised if your teams point total is too high. Also years ago you could only play so many foreign players in your starting eleven!

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #6262 on: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 16:06:45 »

All they need now is Shade and they are unstoppable.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6263 on: Sunday, May 21, 2023, 22:28:03 »

People are going to have to get used to the Prem being won by whichever Middle Eastern country is willing to spunk the most oil money on winning the prem whilst pretending that their own human rights issues are normal compared to the country that they own that club in.  Might as well call it the Middle Eastern Premier League.

I think you are going to see more US investment at EFL level as well, jumping on the Deadpool bandwagon - hopefully if we do get sold, we will be one of them.

I'll see if I can have a word with Arthur Blank - we at least share some of the same things as Towns/Cities - both grew due to the Railroads, both saw huge expansion in the 90's, we both have sports teams that use the colour Red, both are well known for crushing their sports fans hopes and dreams on a regular basis.  Atlanta Utd already have some sort of partnership with Aberdeen, so maybe they need an English club.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6264 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 07:55:19 »

All they need now is Shade and they are unstoppable.

I'm sure a couple of million(*) would persuade us to let him go

(*) packets of crisps
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6265 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 08:48:43 »

I'll see if I can have a word with Arthur Blank - we at least share some of the same things as Towns/Cities - both grew due to the Railroads, both saw huge expansion in the 90's, we both have sports teams that use the colour Red, both are well known for crushing their sports fans hopes and dreams on a regular basis.  Atlanta Utd already have some sort of partnership with Aberdeen, so maybe they need an English club.

Aberdeen are the Don's, play in red. We are SwinDON. How much more do you need? Duncan Shearer etc.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6266 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 08:55:23 »

Aberdeen are the Don's, play in red. We are SwinDON. How much more do you need? Duncan Shearer etc.

Angus MacDonald.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6267 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 09:00:05 »

Angus MacDonald.

Jerel Ifil!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6268 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 09:16:09 »

Jerel Ifil!

Bloody hell i forgot he went there!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6269 on: Monday, May 22, 2023, 09:17:50 »

We have MANY links to the other Dons....Miles Storey, Tom Jones, Juan Cobian, Nicky Hammond, Rory Fallon, Adam Rooney and Scotty Leitch.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: