Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southgate resigns  (Read 3056 times)
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, July 18, 2024, 13:19:55 »

I’ve had a fair few debates on the playing style with people who were Pro and Against Southgate (for what it’s worth, I was somewhere in the middle, appreciative of what he did but critical of a lot of on the pitch work and thought it was the right time to go).

The thing that frustrates me when talking about needing to play a higher tempo, front foot style is that the usual rebuttal is such a binary “it’s not feasible to play that way for 90 minutes” like we’re insinuating that there’s no middle ground between what we are playing now and all out attack.

Of course there will be some who are insinuating that but I think 90% of us who are wanting this squad to play a higher tempo, front foot style aren’t stupidly suggesting going all out attack for 90 minutes. It makes having conversation about anything Southgate/England related so hard when everything is dragged 100% in either direction.

The truth is somewhere in the middle on both topics. Southgate wasn’t completely crap and wasn’t perfect, he did a good job taking us where he did but was right to move on. Just because we were crap in the past, doesn’t mean that we should cling to what we have when it’s clear the squad can have more extracted out of it than it currently is. Same with the playing style, we can very reasonably go more attacking without scrapping all defensive foundations and going silly with it.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 19:40:00 »

Let's not kid ourselves. Klopp is head and shoulders above Southgate. Transfer kitty or not he broke 100 points with a team consisting of Lovren,Origi,Milner,Henderson,Chamberlaine, Shaquiri

For the same reason you think fans are mad for wanting Southgate out as he has done well you would be mad not to think Klopp gets more out this England squad
True, but Southgate got us to a world cup semi final with a midfield of Trippier,Lingard,Dele Ali,Henderson and Ashley Young with back up from Dier and Delph.
I look forward to us winning the next two tournaments as it seems to be in many people's eyes(not necessarily on here)that it's Southgate's fault we didn't win the last 3
« Last Edit: Friday, July 19, 2024, 19:43:12 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 21:05:26 »

I am not sure some new Manager wins the tournament, Spain were very good.  However, I would be confident that a capable Manager could manage to get to the final with a little more attacking impetus than we managed in this tournament.  Southgate did a really good job in allowing the younger players to bleed into the squad and turned around a pretty dire team 8-10 years ago.  He has patently not managed to extract the best from the current squad though - our draw was not the strongest in terms of competition, and we were rarely the better team, relying on individual moments.  You can argue the players need to take some responsibility, but I'd argue the way we play simply has to be by design.  There are too many players going against their natural instincts.

A new Manager won't make us head and shoulders above the rest of the world, like Spain in 2010, because our overall squad is not miles ahead of any other of the good nations.  They should at least keep us in the reckoning, and hopefully a bit more enjoyable to watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: