Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1647680 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6225 on: Sunday, May 14, 2023, 20:25:08 »

The Bradford-Carlisle playoff game being played 7pm on a Sunday night.

Thinking of going?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6226 on: Sunday, May 14, 2023, 21:35:42 »

I watched it. Didn’t really enjoy it.

Carlisle had some defenders.

Also, the forwards moved rather than wait for the ball to come to them and tried to beat their men.

But, the rest was a bit hoofy

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #6227 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 06:43:26 »

Their #4 Moxon looked a very good player.

Their left wing back looked handy as well.

Think they'll turn it around at their place. Bradford looked terrible. I hope that's not we turn into under Flynn..
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6228 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 08:15:23 »

Carlisle under Simpson have been very impressive to be fair. I doubt many would have expected Carlisle to be anywhere near the top of the table and I'm sure a few might have actually tipped them to struggle.

Moxon is attracting suitors higher up the food chain. Agree with Pericardinho, I expect they will turn Bradford over up in Cumbria.

On another note, and I know this discussion is done to death, but with all 4 of the league 2 play-off contenders northern clubs, does the final REALLY have to be at Wembley? (I know the answer is yes and they have to suck it up, but it just seems so pointless having a half empty Wembley when you could have a nearly full Old Trafford or wherever.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6229 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 08:40:00 »

does the final REALLY have to be at Wembley?

From a footballing point of view clearly not, but a final at Wembley is special* I'd be disappointing to lose elsewhere**.

* Is it just me? Even though its been a shithole for us, going to Villa park wouldn't be the same.

**  Not for FA Cup semi-finals FFS. Clearly its all financial clawback
« Last Edit: Monday, May 15, 2023, 08:43:19 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6230 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 08:50:10 »

On another note, and I know this discussion is done to death, but with all 4 of the league 2 play-off contenders northern clubs, does the final REALLY have to be at Wembley? (I know the answer is yes and they have to suck it up, but it just seems so pointless having a half empty Wembley when you could have a nearly full Old Trafford or wherever.

And if they must be at Wembley, have them kick off at a time that allows fans to get home after the game on public transport.

For instance the last train to Carlisle on a Sunday night leaves Euston at 1929 (so 29 mins into the 1st half last night) and that doesn't take into account the time it would take getting from Wembley back into Euston to go out again!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6231 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 08:55:25 »

And if they must be at Wembley, have them kick off at a time that allows fans to get home after the game on public transport.

For instance the last train to Carlisle on a Sunday night leaves Euston at 1929 (so 29 mins into the 1st half last night) and that doesn't take into account the time it would take getting from Wembley back into Euston to go out again!

Yeah that was my main thinking actually Horlock, it's an absolute ballache for fans to get there and back so rather than trying to schedule it around TV times, actually schedule it at a time that suits both parties. Let's be honest TV numbers for the league 2 play-off final aren't going to be record breaking anyway and those that are interested will watch the game on TV whenever it's scheduled.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6232 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 09:01:26 »

Yeah that was my main thinking actually Horlock, it's an absolute ballache for fans to get there and back so rather than trying to schedule it around TV times, actually schedule it at a time that suits both parties. Let's be honest TV numbers for the league 2 play-off final aren't going to be record breaking anyway and those that are interested will watch the game on TV whenever it's scheduled.

IIRC when we played Preston in the PO final years back it was shitty for them trying to get back after the game.

Actually I fucked up earlier as Carlisle were at Bradford last night weren't they, they could have actually stayed to half time and then left to catch the last train.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #6233 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 16:47:51 »

From a footballing point of view clearly not, but a final at Wembley is special* I'd be disappointing to lose elsewhere**.

* Is it just me? Even though its been a shithole for us, going to Villa park wouldn't be the same.

Having watched the last 3 "performances" at Wembley, i'd take a Villa Park if it helped us win. Plus the atmosphere would be better i would hope, i remember the Millwall game and you couldn't hear Swindon fans in other parts singing.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6234 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 08:28:27 »

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/club-statement/

This kind of cowardly behaviour by football fans really needs to stop. Using a social media platform to racially abuse someone because of losing a football match is beyond pathetic. It seems to be a regular occurrence these days unfortunately. And yes, it's a societal problem but it's also a football problem which needs to be flushed away with all the other hatred which crosses lines.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6235 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 16:07:40 »

8 month ban from football for Ivan Toney for betting

Bit much?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6236 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 16:12:36 »

8 month ban from football for Ivan Toney for betting

Bit much?

Didn’t Joey Barton get 18 months, although reduced on appeal, so a president exists
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6237 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 16:15:14 »

Ouch! Rules are rules I suppose

Edit: Oh, it's immediate

His suspension starts immediately, but the 27-year-old can return to training with Brentford four months before it ends on 17 September.

He will not be allowed to play again until 17 January, 2024.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 16:17:57 by Batch » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6238 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 16:44:22 »

Assuming he wasn’t betting on any games involving his own teams it does seem pretty harsh to me.

So what if he was betting on other games? His money, his life
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6239 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 17:05:43 »

The hypocrisy of football organisations merrily plastering betting brands on anything that stays still long enough and then acting all pearl clutchy when some of their players bet is just phenomenal. Not surprising though...
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: