Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SSP  (Read 31357 times)
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 13:22:10 »

This is often quoted, but doesnt really stand up to scrutiny.

There are plenty of examples of players going back to clubs and doing well. Neil Harris was mentioned earlier in this thred. Chris Kamara & Jimmy Quinn both had successful second spells here. Paul Bodin scored the goal that put us into the Premiership in his second spell.

Of course there are also examples where it didnt work. (David Kerslake and Phl King spring to mind).

If you think about it though, the ones were it worked were good players joining a club on the up under a good manager.

Kerslake and King rejoined a club in decline being managed by a complete cock.

So a player returning to a club can work if he still has something to offer, and the club is well managed. Just like any other signing really.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have him back. I'm saying that AF doesn't appear to agree with players returning, & he is the one who pays the wages.
FWIW, I think if it IS confidence then having him as a "Second" striker to someone like Coxy (if not the man himself)  would take the pressure off. If he could regain the confidence any where it would be here because the fan base would give him more leeway.

From the Dark Side
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 14:38:23 »

People really need to let go of the whole Parkin thing.

He's scored 15 goals since he left us 4 years ago. I'm not saying he wouldn't be worth a trial, but those that'd expect him to be as good as he used to be (and that's a fair few) would be severely let down.

We had a great striker for 3 years, i'd hate for him to undo all that by coming back and looking half the player.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #62 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 14:49:59 »

I don't think anyone has said he'd replicate his past form. We need striker(s), we have little funds - it's worth discussion.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 14:56:15 »

I'm completely against him coming back.  Let's leave our memories of the good times intact, rather than showing our heroes up for the mere mortals they really are.  Sam was exciting 5 years ago because he was a young player on an upward trajectory with a bright future ahead of him.  He's now in his late 20s and injury prone.

You have to ask yourself the question 'would we be even thinking of having him back if his successful spell had not been with us, but with another club?'  There's no room for sentiment here - and if the answer is 'no' (and it is), we should steer well clear.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:00:09 »

I find it amazing that internet discussion on a theoretical subject like this can gain such momentum people start talking like it's actually going to happen.  Eek Soapy Tit Wank
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:02:37 »

I find it amazing that internet discussion on a theoretical subject like this can gain such momentum people start talking like it's actually going to happen.  Eek Soapy Tit Wank

80% bollocks on here...and that's on a good day.
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:14:06 »

I don't think anyone has said he'd replicate his past form. We need striker(s), we have little funds - it's worth discussion.
What we don't need is striker's who can't score, otherwise it's a waste of those little funds isn't it. We might as well have kept Sturrock if we were going to do that.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:24:16 »

Is this a wind up. Parkin is now fat bald and importantly Shit

This.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #68 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:40:20 »

Twat is that better.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #69 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:48:22 »

Twat's better
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:56:10 »

yes, get him in...
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:59:48 »

Ummmm can I make a small correction?? he isnt bald - he prob had the same amount hair he has when he played for us he just shaves his head now.

Thanks xxx

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 18:35:05 »

I couldn't give a toss if he came back and was shit, it wouldn't in any sense detract from what he did before.  kerslake was a star for us, Kerslake was also pretty shit 2nd time around but I forget about those games. All this don't let him ruin the memories bollocks suggests we should just be worried about what has happened in the past.  I want to concentrate on the hear and now.

Having said all that, I don't fancy signing Sam Parkin on the basis that his record in the past few years is pretty average at best and he has a record of injury problems.  Given a tight budget I'd prefer us to sign someone with potential with those wages.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 19:14:00 »

ah fuck it, sign him up. NOW!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 19:38:30 »

Ummmm can I make a small correction?? he isnt bald - he prob had the same amount hair he has when he played for us he just shaves his head now.

Thanks xxx

Can I make a small correction? You've got had and has the wrong way around  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: