Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188276 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5325 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 16:52:30 »

The case count in Swindon never made much sense as an outside observer these days - the mortality rate was way to high as a % of cases, likely meaning very little testing has been taking place?  

Not sure how they measure it, it's been suggested up here that Barrows high numbers are skewed by FGH being in the town, could it he the same with Swindon (used to be PMH, no idea what it's called now).
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5326 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 16:53:55 »

I blame the vegans

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5327 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 17:15:50 »

51 in one business would suggest internal transmission or a major outbreak in the surrounding area if they didn't get it from each other.  Given the past experience with meat processing facilities, I'd hazard a guess at which one was likely
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5328 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 20:17:04 »

The Department of Health says members of separate households are banned from meeting each other indoors from midnight tonight in Greater Manchester, parts of Lancashire and parts of West Yorkshire from midnight tonight
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #5329 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 21:03:46 »

Is that from midnight tonight?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5330 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 21:10:14 »

Quote from: Ginginho
Is that from midnight tonight?
yes

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-separate-households-banned-from-meeting-up-in-greater-manchester-east-lancashire-and-parts-of-west-yorkshire-12039473
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5331 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 09:28:20 »

If the Manchester lockdown is needed, then it's needed. But the timing is appalling, two hours before the start of Eid. Like being told at 10pm on Christmas Eve that all the plans you'd made to visit family on Christmas Day, all the food you'd bought to share, was all being scrapped. There'd be uproar.

No I'm not suggesting that if a lockdown was needed it should have been delayed, but I find it difficult (nigh on impossible) to believe that they didn't know about this sooner and they couldn't have given people even a couple of days' notice. Tweeting out a local lockdown with 2 hours notice at 10pm on a Thursday night doesn't exactly suggest a govt that knows what it's doing and is in control of the situation. Not so much Hancock's Half Hour as Amateur Hour.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #5332 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 10:06:10 »

If the Manchester lockdown is needed, then it's needed. But the timing is appalling, two hours before the start of Eid. Like being told at 10pm on Christmas Eve that all the plans you'd made to visit family on Christmas Day, all the food you'd bought to share, was all being scrapped. There'd be uproar.

No I'm not suggesting that if a lockdown was needed it should have been delayed, but I find it difficult (nigh on impossible) to believe that they didn't know about this sooner and they couldn't have given people even a couple of days' notice. Tweeting out a local lockdown with 2 hours notice at 10pm on a Thursday night doesn't exactly suggest a govt that knows what it's doing and is in control of the situation. Not so much Hancock's Half Hour as Amateur Hour.

Re the christmas thing, i wouldnt put it past them!
Flashheart

« Reply #5333 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 10:07:34 »

Re the christmas thing, i wouldnt put it past them!

Nah.

There's too much money in Christmas.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5334 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 10:39:24 »

You can spin 2 hours notice as as strong government taking immediate and decisive action - I'm not saying it was or wasn't, but just pointing out that its all about perspective.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #5335 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:02:19 »

From Dan Roan:

Breaking: I understand the PM is set to announce fans will no longer be permitted to attend the sporting pilot events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood, the Crucible and the Oval in coming days after evidence the infection rate has risen across the country
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5336 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:06:13 »

could have implications on fan return if announced:

The prime minister is set to announce that fans will no longer be permitted to attend the sporting pilot events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood, the Crucible and the Oval in coming days.

It comes after evidence that the infection rate has risen across the country.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5337 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:20:46 »

From Dan Roan:

Breaking: I understand the PM is set to announce fans will no longer be permitted to attend the sporting pilot events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood, the Crucible and the Oval in coming days after evidence the infection rate has risen across the country
Roan will be loving it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5338 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:27:36 »

You can spin 2 hours notice as as strong government taking immediate and decisive action - I'm not saying it was or wasn't, but just pointing out that its all about perspective.
You can indeed (and some no doubt will) just as you can with them trashing people's Spanish holidays with less than a days' notice, having previously briefed papers to run headlines like "Boris Saves Summer" and "Boris Says Go On Holiday". But in both cases, it's not like NE Spain had suddenly on that Saturday had a massive upturn in cases, it had been building over two weeks; similarly there's been a steady climb in cases over the past few weeks in the Northwest. Neither of these instances were suddenly sprung on the govt so why was it necessary to announce drastic shutdowns/changes in the rules with a few hours' notice?

I'm not arguging against the measures taken and on balance I'd rather have them taking action, albeit somewhat haphazardly, than the "Yeah, whatever" approach they took in Feb/March, but it does look a lot more like they're flailing around and being caught on the hop than any kind of considered, measured strategy.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #5339 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:27:47 »

Absolutely superb - all we have heard over the past few months is how the government have been ‘slow to act’ and the moment they actually appear to be taking prompt action, they are criticised.

The gift that keeps on giving.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: