Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 134711 times)
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 14:54:37 »

Bringing McDonald in has made me feel a lot more optimistic about next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 14:56:58 »

Bringing McDonald in has made me feel a lot more optimistic about next season.

Out of interest, why? 
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 15:36:06 »

McDonald (not Ronald) has worked under some top end managers and coaches. Hasn't he worked under Phelan (Mike not Pat), of Man Utd fame? Quite, Phelan hasn't turned out to be the best Manager but he was a cracking coach. I'm sure McDonald has learnt a lot from the people he's worked under.

At L2 level this is an impressive appointment. It also tells you that PB isn't just building a short term squad but a backroom staff equipped to deal with players, the further up the league spectrum we/Town go.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #453 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 15:38:32 »

Some interesting stuff on NM here, apparently he was favourite for the managers job at Carlisle before signing for us.

https://www.thecumbrians.net/index.php/cufc-forum/main-forum/8598-mcdonald-headed-elsewhere

Must be a fairly good sign if he turned down a managers job to be assistant for a club in the same division.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 15:41:01 »

Some interesting stuff on NM here, apparently he was favourite for the managers job at Carlisle before signing for us.

https://www.thecumbrians.net/index.php/cufc-forum/main-forum/8598-mcdonald-headed-elsewhere

Must be a fairly good sign if he turned down a managers job to be assistant for a club in the same division.

All I can think of is that he played for Newcastle against us in the infamous Macari/Hillier hedge betting match.  So I must have seen him play.... just remember Gazza more.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #455 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 15:56:43 »

All I can think of is that he played for Newcastle against us in the infamous Macari/Hillier hedge betting match.  So I must have seen him play.... just remember Gazza more.
Apparently he played against us twice, once for Newcastle in the 5-0 defeat and once for Oldham in 92 at home in the LC.

Considering he played 300 league games and is the same age as me I have little memory of him as a player, I know the Carlisle fans didn't take to him as a manager and that he was manager at Blackpool when they were on their slide, otherwise I know little about him and his style of management etc.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 16:00:35 »

Just had to Wiki him now. Yes he did work under Phelan at Hull. He was manager at Limerick recently but was assistant at Scunny most recently. He left Limerick to go to Scunthorpe. So maybe he feels he is a better assistant than as an actual manager?

That's a good sign and shows he'll be happy to let PB lead. Also would be an adequate caretaker, if needed.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #457 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 16:03:58 »

Reading the Blackpool forum they have very little time for him, lots of fuckwit type comments on him BUT they do say hes a good assistant even if he can't cut it in the main job.

He has the experience we need and thats all I care about, anything he did before coming to us is irrelevant really.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 16:06:08 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 17:09:16 »

Out of interest, why? 

Don’t tell him Pike!
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 18:04:17 »

Out of interest, why? 

McDonald will (hopefully) complement Brown well as he's more analytical and a good coach.  Don't think McDonald enjoys the stress of being number 1 or man management especially. I would have been a little concerned if Brown's assistant had been another enforcer type like Futcher or Coughlan.  Brown's strengths are more on the man management side and less on analysis, tactics etc. 
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 18:18:09 »

McDonald will (hopefully) complement Brown well as he's more analytical and a good coach.  Don't think McDonald enjoys the stress of being number 1 or man management especially. I would have been a little concerned if Brown's assistant had been another enforcer type like Futcher or Coughlan.  Brown's strengths are more on the man management side and less on analysis, tactics etc. 

That’s it I warned you not to. Now you’re in his little book, come the revolution you are earmarked for the saltmines or up against the wall 😂
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 19:34:40 »

Interesting, I know nothing of McDonald, however from what PB has said doesn't he view himself as primarily a coach?  For me, it should work best when the gaffer and his number 2, don't do good cop, bad cop, but rather the number 2, mostly listens to the gaffer and tells him when he's screwing up. The gaffer should then trust him enough to take notice and act.

The classic example of how it should work, the recent Europa final where Atletico turned over Arsenal, Simeone banished to the stand. When asked if it would make any difference he said "no" as German Burgos, his number 2 knows exactly what they want.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 19:46:59 »

Interesting, I know nothing of McDonald, however from what PB has said doesn't he view himself as primarily a coach?  For me, it should work best when the gaffer and his number 2, don't do good cop, bad cop, but rather the number 2, mostly listens to the gaffer and tells him when he's screwing up. The gaffer should then trust him enough to take notice and act.

The classic example of how it should work, the recent Europa final where Atletico turned over Arsenal, Simeone banished to the stand. When asked if it would make any difference he said "no" as German Burgos, his number 2 knows exactly what they want.

I think it also helps if the players believe that one of them is more approachable, usually the assistant manager.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #463 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 09:36:48 »

I think it also helps if the players believe that one of them is more approachable, usually the assistant manager.

For me the best at this was Wilf tranter under Bob Smith, the players were always a bit scared of Bob but Wilf was always open to interactions with players.

It was no coicidence that we started to fall down the leagues when Wilf left to manage Banbury (IIRC) in 82 leaving Smith with no decent assistant.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 09:48:13 »

For me the best at this was Wilf tranter under Bob Smith, the players were always a bit scared of Bob but Wilf was always open to interactions with players.

It was no coicidence that we started to fall down the leagues when Wilf left to manage Banbury (IIRC) in 82 leaving Smith with no decent assistant.

This talk of cone collectors got me thinking about a list of incumbents.... I go back to Jack Conley, who worked with Bert Head.  Harry Cousins was also around, but he was technically "trainer" which is more today's physio, though Harry had no qualifications beyond bucket and sponge carrying.  Jack was more the nice guy as Bert wasn't adverse to getting up close and personal. Jack stayed on when Danny Williams came in.

I think that when Jack retired, Maurice Owen came in and did a stint in one of his many different roles at the club. Maurice did the job under Fred Ford.

When Dave Mackay took over he brought in Des Anderson, with whom he went on to win the League title at Derby.

Les Allen went back to Maurice Owen for his short stint

Who did second time Danny have?... because that would bring us up to Wilf Trantor
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 10:13:40 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: