Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 134690 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #465 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 09:53:19 »

The importance of a good assistant cannot be understated.

Every great manager has a great assistant. Often one they have relied upon in the past.

Mcdonald worked with PB at Bolton for several years when PB was assistant to Big Sam there so PB knows what to expect.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 10:16:48 »

The importance of a good assistant cannot be understated.

Every great manager has a great assistant. Often one they have relied upon in the past.

Mcdonald worked with PB at Bolton for several years when PB was assistant to Big Sam there so PB knows what to expect.

Ferguson used to go through them.... they've mostly struggled somewhat when branching out on their own.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 15:16:52 »

Ferguson used to go through them.... they've mostly struggled somewhat when branching out on their own.

He had about 7 in 27 years...with 4 of them being with him for at least 5 years.

Both Archie Knox and Brian Kidd had long spells at Man United. The former carving a fairly decent career as a manager and Kidd is a respected coach on both sides of Manchester.

McClaren was only with him for 2 or 3 but probably was assistant in their most fruitful period (that 1999 treble). On his own, he gave Middlesbrough their first ever major honour and a place in a european competition. I believe he gave them their highest ever league finish too. His time at Twente was also a success, breaking the mold of Ajax and PSV by winning the Eredivisie, was no mean feat. International football clearly wasn't for him and the view of being a "Mr. Fix It" tag seems to have become the norm. While he hasn't superseded his early successes, he can still go down as doing what many English managers have never done; Won a title at a foreign club.

Carlos Queiroz I don't know huge amounts about, except I did read in FourFourTwo once that his managerial win percentage has never dropped below 41%. Make of that what you will but I'd say that's not bad going, for an assistant.

Phelan has been mentioned. He's only really managed Hull and yet they've changed managers more often than a whore's knickers get pulled down. I'd say he hasn't had a proper stab at management so can't really be judged.

So to say Ferguson "used to go through them" when four of them covered 22/23 years of a 27 year reign is a tad off. To then say "they've mostly struggled...on their own" is also a bit out.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 15:18:32 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 15:37:53 »

Wenger had 2 in 22 years at Arsenal. Mourinho has had 1, until recently (Rui Faria)  in the 17 years he's managed at all different clubs. That's my reference point for comparison. As for Brian Kidd, he learned all he knew on cone collecting at the CG.  His Preston team in the 80's were the worst side I've ever seen, would have gone to the Conference if relegation had been in place. I'm surprised you haven't yet taken up the cudgel of lets make a list of STFC cone collectors.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Thursday, May 31, 2018, 23:42:34 »

Wenger had 2 in 22 years at Arsenal. Mourinho has had 1, until recently (Rui Faria)  in the 17 years he's managed at all different clubs. That's my reference point for comparison. As for Brian Kidd, he learned all he knew on cone collecting at the CG.  His Preston team in the 80's were the worst side I've ever seen, would have gone to the Conference if relegation had been in place. I'm surprised you haven't yet taken up the cudgel of lets make a list of STFC cone collectors.

Even with recent years notwithstanding, there's been too many  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 08:21:58 »

Even with recent years notwithstanding, there's been too many  Wink

A few posts ago I asked if anyone could remember 2nd term Danny's assistant?  This was a time when I lived elsewhere, so the more prosaic stuff escaped me, but I think Frank Burrows might have been around.  Frank should probably have got a shot at the top job here, he did pretty well at Pompey and I think Cardiff.  That fitted the tradition of the respected ex player, knows the club. knows the fans etc. I suppose we still sort of have that with Alan Mac and Lee Peacock being around the place.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #471 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:23:55 »

A few posts ago I asked if anyone could remember 2nd term Danny's assistant? 
Byrne and Shirtliff.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:31:45 »

Byrne and Shirtliff.

Williams not Wilson.... lets not get ahead of ourselves. I think we've got up to Wilf Trantor, so who did for John Trollope, in his stint, I know at some point he got in Ken Beamish, but that was after relegation? The Don was a youth coach for a while, but not sure he ever elevated to the lofty hoights of first team cone carrier.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #473 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:32:24 »

Williams not Wilson.... lets not get ahead of ourselves. I think we've got up to Wilf Trantor, so who did for John Trollope, in his stint, I know at some point he got in Ken Beamish, but that was after relegation? The Don was a youth coach for a while, but not sure he ever elevated to the lofty hoights of first team cone carrier.
Ah sorry missread.

I only started going regularly in 76-77 even though I went a few times before then they were sparse as I was 10 in 76 so no I don't remember who his assistant was either.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:35:56 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:33:26 »

Wasn't Neil McDonald the one that said they contained Ajose well after he just scored a hat trick against them?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #475 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:37:42 »

Wasn't Neil McDonald the one that said they contained Ajose well after he just scored a hat trick against them?
I am pretty sure he was Blackpool manager in 2016, so could well be.

No mention in that interview but you could be right.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:40:21 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Friday, June 1, 2018, 09:42:08 »

Ah sorry missread.

I only started going regularly in 76-77 even though I went a few times before then they were sparse as I was 10 in 76 so no I don't remember who his assistant was either.

No probs, looking more closely KB came in for 81/82, which would leave the part season 80/81 when JT took over from Bob Smith.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: