Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Based On What We Know  (Read 16376 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 10:46:13 »

Exactly. Thing is, Brown has a unique insight to what he has/had player wise at the final whistle of game 45 last season. He has acted accordingly with the retained and released list, offered contracts and subsequently future targets. Also he has a two month head start on what Flitcroft had and if I may be so bold, more experience and probably better contacts. For the aforementioned reasons i’m optimistic enough to feel that PB will not only put together a promotion winning team but a team capable of winning the league, so much so that I shall put some money on it. My only negative is and this would apply to any manager at our level especially, is how good will he and his backroom staff be at polishing the current stones we have to sparkle a damn sight better than they did last season. Furthermore the prospecting of other gemstones from other sources before any other club does. Budget wise I wonder how much impact that actually has? Accrington being a case in point for L2 last season and Burton Albion a few seasons ago and even Bournemouth. Coming back full circle it comes down to Brown and his back room team and their gem polishing abilities, we need some Lou Macari magic.

Some of what we know is based on PB's post match pearls of wisdom, I like his honesty but sometimes it's better to say nothing.  So as things stand we will have a number of players for next season who PB doesn't rate.... I quote.....

"I think there is a little problem we have in the changing room when we come up against any physicality,''

"We don't seem to have that strength of character to step up to the plate.

"I went up to the fans at the end of the game and I must admit they were very complimentary to a certain extent that I had inherited what I've got and that's all you can have.

"I disagreed with that to a certain extent because at the end of the day I'm a coach. I do try to improve individuals and hopefully that will improve the collective.

"But you can't change the character of somebody. If he's not prepared to head the ball, if he's not prepared to put his body on the line, if he's not prepared to wear the 2, 5, 6 or 3 with any pride, then we've got a problem, it's as simple as that.

"We can all blame individuals and it's very easy to point fingers. My job is to get something from the game and in the first half we just didn't play well enough, we didn't work hard enough, we didn't look like we were up for the challenge - and that was (as) a collective.''

"In the second half, having made two substitutions at half-time, I thought the difference was quite phenomenal,'' added the manager.

"The two lads came on, McDermott and Mullin, and all I asked them to do was run around and show some pride and some passion in the shirt.

"I think the fans responded to that in the second half and I think the team responded to that in the second half. But the first half was just a non-event.''

"We've been in there for 45 minutes. I could have gone on for three hours. You know what I'm like,''

"If it needs to be brought out, it needs to be brought out. One thing that stopped it at the end was one of the players said 'we've had these meetings for six or seven times this season and nothing comes of it.'

"What a waste of time that is.''

"Unfortunately I can't change the animal overnight and can't change the team overnight. But if given the opportunity to work with the team, I would certainly improve the side that's for sure.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 11:01:50 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 11:55:32 »

There seems a lot of optimism with Brown.

PBs long term stats are terrible, the promotion with Southend (and Hull a million years ago) obviously good.

Genuinely don't know if he's another bullshit Billy that got lucky, or a good manger that has worked miracles in poor circumstances.

Or if he's just someone people have heard of.

personally I'll reserve judgement, but am happy that someone is on the recruitment case straight away.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 12:02:49 »

There seems a lot of optimism with Brown.

PBs long term stats are terrible, the promotion with Southend (and Hull a million years ago) obviously good.

Genuinely don't know if he's another bullshit Billy that got lucky, or a good manger that has worked miracles in poor circumstances.

Or if he's just someone people have heard of.

personally I'll reserve judgement, but am happy that someone is on the recruitment case straight away.

The acid test as to whwther Power is serious about getting out of Div 4 upwardly, will be if Preston signs for us or Mansfield.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 12:53:21 »

This must be true - it’s on the Mansfield forum

‘Yes you would think DF would sign a few before he went away, probably Banks snubbing us and Preston having second thoughts drove him to Skegness’
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 14:10:40 »

This must be true - it’s on the Mansfield forum

‘Yes you would think DF would sign a few before he went away, probably Banks snubbing us and Preston having second thoughts drove him to Skegness’

I see on the Mansfield forum they "think" they are likely to bring in Eisa, Akinfenwa, Doige and Ajose...they have some over inflated opinions of Mansfields pulling power in the transfer market Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 14:40:37 »

To be fair any of them players joining Mansfield wouldn’t be surprising execpt maybe Ajose.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 14:44:11 »

It’s too early to have any kind of reasonable guess, but I’d say we should be looking at top 7.

Once the squad is complete we should have a bette idea, although to be fair in both the seasons we won this league we didn’t start well, in fact it was about October before we showed real signs of what was about to come
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 22:18:39 »

To be fair any of them players joining Mansfield wouldn’t be surprising execpt maybe Ajose.

Mansfield wont be spending a million plus for sure, which is what Eisa is being touted at. The others no chance either realistically. They are in the same boat as us, with less geographical attraction.
Flashheart

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 27, 2018, 07:37:47 »

I can't see Mansfield being overly confident in giving Flitcroft a fat budget.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, May 27, 2018, 08:21:53 »

Once the squad is complete we should have a bette idea, although to be fair in both the seasons we won this league we didn’t start well, in fact it was about October before we showed real signs of what was about to come
This is true, in 1985 pre game on the 1st October we were sat 4th bottom after 8 games and in 2011 we were sat in 13th place on the 8th October.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, May 27, 2018, 10:07:11 »

This is true, in 1985 pre game on the 1st October we were sat 4th bottom after 8 games and in 2011 we were sat in 13th place on the 8th October.

Indeed, I can't remember there being any demand for the manager's to be sacked then, I fear a similar start next season will have the doomsayers out in force & the knuckle draggers calling for Brown to be sacked.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 27, 2018, 10:16:21 »

football has changed for the worse in that regard. since 1985 anyway. it's immediate results or out.

I
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 27, 2018, 11:41:04 »

football has changed for the worse in that regard. since 1985 anyway. it's immediate results or out.

I
Agree with that and sadly Swindon Town are not immune from that virus.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: