Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 134691 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:16:26 »

Well, there is f-all else to talk about. Simple enough question, even though the season hasn't finished. Should he stay or should he go.

Found it interesting the club put up a "Brown wants to stay" story yesterday. Nothing wrong in that, and everyone heard it in the post match Saturday anyhow,  just the PR MO recently has been comment once something is definite.
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:30:06 »

Leaning toward no, although I wouldn't be terribly upset if he gets it. I suspect performances and results are probably not a fair reflection.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:33:08 »

Leaning toward no, although I wouldn't be terribly upset if he gets it. I suspect performances and results are probably not a fair reflection.

Likewise, although I am probably leaning towards a yes as at least he is a known quantity.

The retiring player arguments always sound nice, but for every Glen Hoddle and Ossie Ardiles there is an Iffy Onuora and Chris Sutton.....
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:47:49 »

I’d keep him, I struggle to see what other realistic options there are, someone like Bellamy would be nice but I can’t see Power ever going down that route. I also agree with what Audrey said the other day about Brown seeing first hand what players we have and where we need to improve. Another manager may want to give them all a clean slate.

I’d also like to see Taylor given another year as player/coach working alongside Brown, so if/when we do get rid he may be ready to step up as I do think he has the potential to become a good manager.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 09:31:40 »

Added a new option
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 09:36:43 »

I'm vacillating on this.  PB's use of Div 2 when he means Div 4, makes him sound like SRK, so on balance that tips me into the no "camp"
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 09:44:23 »

Likewise, although I am probably leaning towards a yes as at least he is a known quantity.

The retiring player arguments always sound nice, but for every Glen Hoddle and Ossie Ardiles there is an Iffy Onuora and Chris Sutton.....

I really liked Iffy and thought he didn't have much chance with a dreadful squad at the time. Think he's working for Aidy Boothroyd and the England U21s now.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 10:39:29 »

Can we seriously do better?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 10:54:47 »

Can we seriously do better?

At the time of PB's appointment, I said I hoped that the private conversation between Power and him was, see these 10 games as a sort of pre season have a look and then sort a competitive squad for next season.

The fear being, exactly what has happened.  Namely given the central defensive issues, the impact of a hard attritional season, we were realistically unlikely to make the PO's let alone win them.  

This then makes Brown look incompetent, with Hart like stats, viewed from the aim of getting us up  Such a judgement is a bit unfair, but I don't think Power will go with Brown.  

A candidate metioned last time round was Jim Bentley, now although he's still contracted at Morecambe, you's imagine given their sub 1000 gates, he might be open to giving STFC a shot.  

Has shown that he can keep a club in Div 4 on a shoestring, so given a bit more money might be able to keep us top ten next year. Downside he's Scouse, but so is Coleman at Accy.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:00:53 »

Yes. PB seems an upgrade on Flitcroft.
Results haven't been great but the 10 games to have a look at the squad should be an advantage when planning for pre-season.

The double handed wave a la Flitcroft is a slight concern though.
Not sure what a body language expert would make of it, but it always looks like someone who is desperate to be acknowledged, bit like a drowning man.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Amir

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:01:13 »

I didn't want him before he was appointed, and yet now I feel like he's been judged a little unfairly. On the balance of things I went with don't care.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:08:20 »

A candidate metioned last time round was Jim Bentley, now although he's still contracted at Morecambe, you's imagine given their sub 1000 gates, he might be open to giving STFC a shot.  

Has shown that he can keep a club in Div 4 on a shoestring, so given a bit more money might be able to keep us top ten next year. Downside he's Scouse, but so is Coleman at Accy.

Jim Bentley who has been at Morecambe as a player and manager for over 16 years, Liverpool born and bred and has never managed or played outside the north west.... Power would probably like him as in his time managing he has never paid a fee for a player, but he has also made much in the past of not moving to another club in the league for a few more hundred quid or uprooting his family.

Why on gods own earth would he choose to come to Swindon, when undoubtedly there will be a plethora of NW jobs coming up over time and as you keep telling us we are constantly fighting for survival!

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:16:04 »

Yes.

Changing managers incessantly doesn't make sense unless you can suddenly afford and attract a clearly higher calibre of manager and that's not the case here.

I also buy into the argument that he's seen what he likes, needs to replace etc. so why waste that insight.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:18:40 »

Jim Bentley who has been at Morecambe as a player and manager for over 16 years, Liverpool born and bred and has never managed or played outside the north west.... Power would probably like him as in his time managing he has never paid a fee for a player, but he has also made much in the past of not moving to another club in the league for a few more hundred quid or uprooting his family.

Why on gods own earth would he choose to come to Swindon, when undoubtedly there will be a plethora of NW jobs coming up over time and as you keep telling us we are constantly fighting for survival!

I don't personally know the fella, and if he wants to stay close to his roots then fair enough.  But managers have been known to move, for what might be considered a better club....  and Morecambe would be one of those dozen or so  "safety net" clubs, between us and the drop zone, who probably pay lower wages.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 12:02:09 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:22:14 »

Pah, I purposely didn't put a don't care in to avoid the splinter gathering Smiley

On one hand he can't be judged too harshly - not his players, squad already on slide due to key injuries, always difficult to adapt to a slightly different style, Flitcroft may have done similarly had he stayed.

On the other - results. surely he should be getting more out the squad than Flitcroft did.

Pros: Knows the squad so has a running start at it. Has got Southend up recently. Has got Hull Up a long time ago.

Cons: Terrible overall stats at every club he has been at since Bolton. Win % getting progressively worse
----------------------------------------
------------------
I'm really not sure.

Forced with a choice I think given his recent Southend success he's probably the man for the job right now for next season.

Obviously we can never form much more than a gut feel. No idea who else is available, no idea how much budget he'll have, etc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: