Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996689 times)
Sir red ken

« Reply #3375 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 11:55:47 »

But Wales voted for Brexit... it was made abundantly clear at the time, there would be a financial hit.

Bristol on the other hand voted Remain.....

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/business/airbus-warns-pull-out-bristol-1703092

A decision no doubt somewhat driven by tbe desire to keep their high end manufacturing jobs.

the people of Wales didn't know what they were voting for, there were 2 choices, stay with the dave cameron deal or leave. Obviously that was beyond them.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3376 on: Friday, June 22, 2018, 12:27:44 »

the people of Wales didn't know what they were voting for, there were 2 choices, stay with the dave cameron deal or leave. Obviously that was beyond them.

To be fair, on the basis that we still don't actually know what we were voting for, or against, it's hardly surprising that they didn't know at the time
Sir red ken

« Reply #3377 on: Saturday, June 23, 2018, 09:55:18 »

To be fair, on the basis that we still don't actually know what we were voting for, or against, it's hardly surprising that they didn't know at the time

They did know what they we're voting against, its further job losses.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3378 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 10:41:34 »

They did know what they we're voting against, its further job losses.

Yet all the projections seemed to indicate that Brexit would cause job losses.  It seemed to be yes there would be a financial hit, but by returning control when the likes of Honda and BMW up sticks they could be replaced by a British manufacturer. We would then be free to sell these cars in places like Indonesia.... like in the 50's.  It would take time, however.

Swindon's car manufacturers Honda and BMW are getting very twitchy.... Honda reckon if we leave the CU, then they would need to build the biggest building in the world, to still produce in Swindon.  I suppose the building would provide jobs, and perhaps a solution with what to do with the town centre.

"Honda told the Financial Times on Tuesday it still only stored enough parts to maintain production of the Honda Civic for 36 hours.

To keep its plant in Swindon open for nine days, it would need to build the largest building in the world, with the equivalent of 42 football pitches, almost three times the size of Amazon’s main US distribution centre."

Shame LP's cabbage patch is only 9 pitches
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3379 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 15:42:00 »

Brings a tear to your eye eh Plowman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5891349/Kim-Jong-high-ranking-army-officer-killed-firing-squad.html

Come the revolution comrade, come the revolution.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #3380 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 15:50:51 »

Yet all the projections seemed to indicate that Brexit would cause job losses.  It seemed to be yes there would be a financial hit, but by returning control when the likes of Honda and BMW up sticks they could be replaced by a British manufacturer. We would then be free to sell these cars in places like Indonesia.... like in the 50's.  It would take time, however.

Swindon's car manufacturers Honda and BMW are getting very twitchy.... Honda reckon if we leave the CU, then they would need to build the biggest building in the world, to still produce in Swindon.  I suppose the building would provide jobs, and perhaps a solution with what to do with the town centre.

"Honda told the Financial Times on Tuesday it still only stored enough parts to maintain production of the Honda Civic for 36 hours.

To keep its plant in Swindon open for nine days, it would need to build the largest building in the world, with the equivalent of 42 football pitches, almost three times the size of Amazon’s main US distribution centre."

Shame LP's cabbage patch is only 9 pitches

The U.K. has lost thousands and thousands of jobs due to companies relocating production to countries in the EU before the Brexit vote. Which is fact. What you are peddling has not happened. Equally there were companies notably Honda who threatened to pull out of the U.K. if we did not join the € (Deutschmark by another name) so let’s wait and see what deal is thrashed out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3381 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 16:33:25 »

The U.K. has lost thousands and thousands of jobs due to companies relocating production to countries in the EU before the Brexit vote. Which is fact. What you are peddling has not happened. Equally there were companies notably Honda who threatened to pull out of the U.K. if we did not join the € (Deutschmark by another name) so let’s wait and see what deal is thrashed out.

I'm not peddling anything as having happened, just pointing out reports in the Financial Times which have a local importance, and further interpreting what taking back control means.... 2 years down the line it's difficult to see what the Brexiteers mean by this.

Perhaps you could help.....  Hmmm
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 16:39:45 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3382 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 16:55:47 »

I'm fairly certain the UK has higher employment that at any time it's history - it's just that certain types of jobs move on, either through lower cost labour or automation.  It is the way of the world.

Brexit was about control, it was clear it SHOULD create some short term issues in economic terms.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3383 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 17:00:34 »

Brings a tear to your eye eh Plowman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5891349/Kim-Jong-high-ranking-army-officer-killed-firing-squad.html

Come the revolution comrade, come the revolution.
I have even googled this but still don't get the constant Plowman reference?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #3384 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 17:01:47 »

I have even googled this but still don't get the constant Plowman reference?

I think he thinks that Reg is Paul Plowman.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3385 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 17:07:23 »

Quite a compliment...

Although more Piers Plowman....

I've a copy on my shelf, and always felt a certain affinity with the toiling ploughman depicted on the Luttrell Psalter
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #3386 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 17:10:04 »

As he is a “hidden user” with stats on fucking everything why not?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #3387 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 17:13:04 »

I'm fairly certain the UK has higher employment that at any time it's history - it's just that certain types of jobs move on, either through lower cost labour or automation.  It is the way of the world.

Brexit was about control, it was clear it SHOULD create some short term issues in economic terms.
Bollocks. Under the EU it’s so much easier for these multinational companies to up sticks to the cheap east European countries that were allowed in. We in this country didn’t get a bite on it unlike other countries and even those who voted against like the Irish were coerced into voting again under duress to get the ‘right’ result. So much for democracy under the EU.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3388 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 18:22:01 »

Bollocks. Under the EU it’s so much easier for these multinational companies to up sticks to the cheap east European countries that were allowed in. We in this country didn’t get a bite on it unlike other countries and even those who voted against like the Irish were coerced into voting again under duress to get the ‘right’ result. So much for democracy under the EU.

Not bollocks - the UK employment number is higher.

What isn't in dispute is that some jobs that used to be done in the UK will have gone to other lower cost nations.  That in fact is the point of the EU.  You can move work around, and people if necessary.  Over time, the hope is that the lower cost nations build-up, through greater competition for jobs in those markets, rising wages etc.

What cannot be in dispute is that removing yourself from a free trade block without reciprical deals in place with other Nations on exit SHOULD cause an economic impact, not a positive one.  The argument for Brexit wasn't that this would be avoided, but that it could be overcome in time by allowing the Nation to make decisions that it couldn't do while in the EU.  One of those decisions could be to reduce the minimum wage or remove it entirely.  It could be to reduce workers rights that were protected around maximum hours etc.  That way you can become more competitive for some of those jobs seeking lower wages (all the way up the chain, not just the bottom).  It is also possible to negotiate your own trade deals, over time, and to do things like lower Corporate Tax rates to entice businesses, or VAT to make items less expensive and boost consumption, and so on.  That doesn't stop the fact that it WILL be more costly for a while to trade with Europe, maybe for a long time.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3389 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 18:25:46 »

Ah makes sense, take so we are guessing people's identity based on the tone and factual quality of their posting and Hoey has reached a conclusion about Reg.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: