Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday V Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 33946 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #345 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 19:39:10 »

Did you listen to Saturday's interview too arriba? today's was more just a follow on of hatred for me.

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 19:44:34 »

Did you listen to Saturday's interview too arriba? today's was more just a follow on of hatred for me.

what do you mean?
i did listen, but i've pretty much forgotten it
flammableBen

« Reply #347 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 19:48:23 »

Just meant that Saturdays was much worse than todays. Although I don't think todays was great either.
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 19:55:35 »

Just got back from Hillsborough and yes, the team did play some great football.  Indeed for large parts we were the side playing football & Wednesday looked no better than us. The first ten minutes or so we looked very impressive, playing the ball around with Ritchie, Ferry & Caddis making some good moves & lively interplay.  Benyon was being marked by some Northern Neanderthal who clambered over him & jostled him about - and yet Benton was the one being penalised. Sadly he didn't look very dangerous and clearly needs a partner to help his game. N'diaye looked pedestrian and wasn't very effective. Smith did OK but Prutton & especially Douglas were very good. Indeed for perhaps the first time this season I saw the Douglas of last year - even better than he was against Notts County. Lescinal Jean Francois was solid although his tendency to slip at crucial moments does make me nervous.  However his ball skills are good for a defender and his reading of the game has improved. Frampton got clattered early on & had to go off despite trying to play on. I was worried when Cuthbert came on but fair play to the guy he settled & didn't do too much wrong apart from another mistake for their 3rd goal but others were equally culpable.

The first goal was a tragedy, we were far more inventive & fluid during that first period. The shot looked to be covered by Smith but a defender (Frampton?) deflected it away from the diving Smith into the goal. Potter might claim it but it was an own goal.  The second goal was the pick of them, a lofted ball over the defence & Mellor delayed & then as Smith came out nodded it over the out rushing Smith & just under the bar. The Town players didn't quit though - perhaps there is some hope for next season because there has been diddly squit sign of it this. The Douglas goal was a beauty, a cracking shot from maybe 25 yards or more that flew into the top right hand corner of the goal - Weaver well beaten & the chanting of "We've seen Douglas score a goal" added some light relief. The Wednesday third goal was the obligatory 3-4 attempts to clear but didn't. The Wednesday forwards were bigger, moved well and were not afraid to shoot at goal whereas our striker Benyon - plural when Bodin & Andrew came on, looked far less threatening although Andrew added some much needed presence up front & did at least mix it with their central defenders.

In conclusion, the result pretty much what I expected although the football we played was better than I could have imagined.  If points were awarded for artistic impression we'd have got something from the game.  Sadly it isn't and because of the lack of goals in the team we didn't but great away support again. Rebuilding under whoever is appointed as manager is the priority with a striker or two an absolute necessity if we are to make a quick return.  Sorry if I've gone on a bit but keep the faith, it wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests.

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 19:57:10 »

Just meant that Saturdays was much worse than todays. Although I don't think todays was great either.
i see.
it's certainly best for all concerned that he goes.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:10:33 »

Just got back from Hillsborough and yes, the team did play some great football.  Indeed for large parts we were the side playing football & Wednesday looked no better than us. The first ten minutes or so we looked very impressive, playing the ball around with Ritchie, Ferry & Caddis making some good moves & lively interplay.  Benyon was being marked by some Northern Neanderthal who clambered over him & jostled him about - and yet Benton was the one being penalised. Sadly he didn't look very dangerous and clearly needs a partner to help his game. N'diaye looked pedestrian and wasn't very effective. Smith did OK but Prutton & especially Douglas were very good. Indeed for perhaps the first time this season I saw the Douglas of last year - even better than he was against Notts County. Lescinal Jean Francois was solid although his tendency to slip at crucial moments does make me nervous.  However his ball skills are good for a defender and his reading of the game has improved. Frampton got clattered early on & had to go off despite trying to play on. I was worried when Cuthbert came on but fair play to the guy he settled & didn't do too much wrong apart from another mistake for their 3rd goal but others were equally culpable.

The first goal was a tragedy, we were far more inventive & fluid during that first period. The shot looked to be covered by Smith but a defender (Frampton?) deflected it away from the diving Smith into the goal. Potter might claim it but it was an own goal.  The second goal was the pick of them, a lofted ball over the defence & Mellor delayed & then as Smith came out nodded it over the out rushing Smith & just under the bar. The Town players didn't quit though - perhaps there is some hope for next season because there has been diddly squit sign of it this. The Douglas goal was a beauty, a cracking shot from maybe 25 yards or more that flew into the top right hand corner of the goal - Weaver well beaten & the chanting of "We've seen Douglas score a goal" added some light relief. The Wednesday third goal was the obligatory 3-4 attempts to clear but didn't. The Wednesday forwards were bigger, moved well and were not afraid to shoot at goal whereas our striker Benyon - plural when Bodin & Andrew came on, looked far less threatening although Andrew added some much needed presence up front & did at least mix it with their central defenders.

In conclusion, the result pretty much what I expected although the football we played was better than I could have imagined.  If points were awarded for artistic impression we'd have got something from the game.  Sadly it isn't and because of the lack of goals in the team we didn't but great away support again. Rebuilding under whoever is appointed as manager is the priority with a striker or two an absolute necessity if we are to make a quick return.  Sorry if I've gone on a bit but keep the faith, it wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests.

Thanks for the write up and I salute you for being there.  Couldn't bear to listen,  but gathered from the stats and comments from people on here listening that it wasn't all bad.  Sounds typical of the last 6 months though, failure to score and giving away silly goals.

Was there any reaction to Hart from the Swindon support?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:11:44 »

You could hear chants of "you don't know what you're doing" on the Radio after Benyon was taken off. I presume it wasn't just Vic under his breath.
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:19:27 »

Very little - I think most fans had vented their disappointment at him on Saturday although there was one chant of "You don't know what you're doing" when Benyon went off to be replaced by Andrew - most of us expected that a Benyon - Andrew combination might offer rather more threat up front.

Strangely there was almost a summer fair feeling about the fans - we knew we were down so let's make the most of a day out in the sun type situation. Speculation on who the manager will be though - rumours of Bodin or Trollope (Paul not John) with Paul Hart remaining as DOF but no doubt we'll know for sure soon enough.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:25:11 »

Thanks for the write up Prof. How did Ferry do? It sounded on the radio like he was involved quite a lot.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:25:33 »

I reckon they will hope to qnnounce something on saturday
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 20:32:27 »

Ferry played well, very mobile, supported his team mates & made himself available to take a pass.  Indeed we kept possession very well for quite long periods & made Wednesday players run & chase the ball. I still think he's going to be a very, very good player but he, like JP, Cuthbert, Amankwaah & Sheehan haven't been as good or as consistent this season as last. I would hope that he'll get fit over the Summer because he could be crucial to any chance of promotion - but please, please, please get a couple of people in who can score goals.  For all of today's beautiful football we never looked that threatening - that has to be sorted out this close season.
Coca Fola

« Reply #356 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 22:51:50 »

Dossevi paid up and gone.
Next time you should all believe me.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 22:53:17 »

why because you repeated a rumour that had already been posted?
Coca Fola

« Reply #358 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 23:04:15 »

why because you repeated a rumour that had already been posted?
It wasn't a rumour it was fact.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 23:08:21 »

that had already been posted about 3 or 4 times before you did, so I'm not sure why you're giving it the 'I told you so'
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: