Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground Redevelopment Or Never? And Left Behind!  (Read 51595 times)
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 11:46:31 »

As stated in the other thread I went to the Amex last weekend and was really impressed. Yes it was all a bit clinical - no pissing in the turnstile or up against a wall - but it was definitely not a soulless bowl.

I've spoken to a couple of Brighton fans about it, the ground itself is great but it's a pisser to get in and out of, and is a bit in the middle of nowhere. When the alternative is an uncovered athletic stadium with shit views, this isn't really much of a trade off, but when you have a historic stadium in the centre of town... I know what I'd rather.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:03:05 »

I've spoken to a couple of Brighton fans about it, the ground itself is great but it's a pisser to get in and out of, and is a bit in the middle of nowhere. When the alternative is an uncovered athletic stadium with shit views, this isn't really much of a trade off, but when you have a historic stadium in the centre of town... I know what I'd rather.

...as was the Goldstone.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:27:51 »

Drop the town end and replace with stand that incorporates hotel and conference space to rear.

Thats all we need to do short term, the whole Field of Dreams approach is irrelevant, we just need 365 days revenue stream, it doesn't even need to be at the ground!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:35:55 »

Rebuild the bank and stick 2500 seats in, plus a roof. Stick all the away fans in there. Rebuild the TE to the height of the side stands and fill the corners.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:43:09 »

...as was the Goldstone.

True, was talking about their pre Amex predicament though, ours is, thankfully, currently a lot less dire.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:43:40 »

build a school as part of the ground
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 12:47:15 »

build a school as part of the ground

Good shout
Or one of those big NHS clinics/ multiple doctors surgery things.

If Cameron hasn't closed it down in the mean time.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 13:12:30 »

Good shout
Or one of those big NHS clinics/ multiple doctors surgery things.

If Cameron hasn't closed it down in the mean time.

They are very difficult to fund, I have got planning permission for three now and none have been subsequently built as the money disappeared!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 13:17:28 »

Audrey will approve of a new doctors surgery.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 13:24:35 »

I've said this before but develop the Stratton Bank to reasonable standards, then shut the TE for redevelopment and stick everyone in the Stratton if it is happening during the season. make the TE a double tier, stick a few glass boxes at the top of it, and then sort out that middle floor of the DRS that is built in- function rooms or offices and whatnot.

That'd do us nicely as a 'low-scale' redevelopment for a few years. Our side stands are a reasonable standard for League 1/Championship, the primary focus should be our ends, because they're a bit shit.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 13:47:13 »

Anyone got any actual costs for a new stadium - say 20,000 capacity.

Colchester 2007 10105 seats £14 million
Rotherham  2011 12000 seats £20 million
Doncaster  2006 15231 seats £20 million approx ( 32 mill for whole complex )

Both Brentford ( 20k seats ) and the gasheads ( 21700 seats ) have permission so be interesting to see what they end up costing

Individual stands

Oldham building 2340 seater side stand. £5 million to include corporate facilities, office accommodation, retail space, a gym and conference facilities.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 14:01:45 »

See the Gas now have the go ahead

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 14:51:32 »

Anyone got any actual costs for a new stadium - say 20,000 capacity.

The rough guide a few years back, was that a basic stadium construction, approximated to a a mill for 1000 seats.

All these ideas are very grand, but don't get over the basic problem that someone has to fund it.  Power and fair play has stated that's not him....SBC will be more likely looking to sell the CG for a MacDonalds, which doesn't leave many alternatives.

Historically....the TE was paid for by the fans raising the necessary funds.....the Arkells a 70's project when local democracy was much stronger, so SBC could loan money to the club... no longer possible.

The DRS...was a cheap and cheerful construct, because the Shrivenham Road was condemned, and there were plenty of grants sloshing round, so cost the club a minimal sum.

So essentially, until the time that the DRS and Arkells are condemned, nothing will happen.  The TE could go and not be replaceed and we'd still be OK to stage lower league football.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 15:50:42 »

The DRS...was a cheap and cheerful construct, because the Shrivenham Road was condemned, and there were plenty of grants sloshing round, so cost the club a minimal sum.

Am I right in the thinking those same grants were also going to pay, or part pay, for a new stand where the Stratton Bank is, to be built at the same time? Only someone objected to it blocking their light and the plan was shelved?

Such a shame as was a unique time where building stand was relatively cheap.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 16:00:16 »

A figure of £1.5m pops into my head, for some reason
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: