Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground Redevelopment Or Never? And Left Behind!  (Read 51390 times)
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 21:53:16 »

Absolutely a no brainer.

The decaying County Ground wins every time.
+1
Flashheart

« Reply #31 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 22:36:29 »

I think we're often a bit harsh on new stadia.

Old stadia do tend to have more character but then they would do, after all they have been well 'lived in'. Throughout a stadium's life various rules and regulations will come and go meaning alterations need to be made. Wear and tear will mean that parts need repairing or fixing and the occasional expansion or downgrade may also be required to maximise revenue or cut costs. Various famous events and individuals will also contribute to the 'soul' of the stadium as time passes. All of these things provide the quirks and foibles that help to give old stadia their character and these quirks and foibles make new constructions appear soulless and bland in comparison.

Usually though the designers of new stadiums do give it their best shot. While it may be all but impossible to achieve a genuine 'lived in' effect, new constructions do often show that their designers have tried to use some creativity and at least made an effort at adding a bit of character.

The same cannot be said about Stadium MK, however. It looks as though it's designers put a box on a bit of paper, drew a line around it said: "That'll do". It's exactly what that disgrace of a 'club' deserve really. Let them fucking have it.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 06:27:14 »

I like grounds with character. Look at the Millwall history website, cold blow lane looks great.
Grounds ok, not too sure about the inmates though!!!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 08:06:31 »

I think we're often a bit harsh on new stadia.

Old stadia do tend to have more character but then they would do, after all they have been well 'lived in'. Throughout a stadium's life various rules and regulations will come and go meaning alterations need to be made. Wear and tear will mean that parts need repairing or fixing and the occasional expansion or downgrade may also be required to maximise revenue or cut costs. Various famous events and individuals will also contribute to the 'soul' of the stadium as time passes. All of these things provide the quirks and foibles that help to give old stadia their character and these quirks and foibles make new constructions appear soulless and bland in comparison.

Usually though the designers of new stadiums do give it their best shot. While it may be all but impossible to achieve a genuine 'lived in' effect, new constructions do often show that their designers have tried to use some creativity and at least made an effort at adding a bit of character.

The same cannot be said about Stadium MK, however. It looks as though it's designers put a box on a bit of paper, drew a line around it said: "That'll do". It's exactly what that disgrace of a 'club' deserve really. Let them fucking have it.

Doncasters is the worst new build I've been to. It is literally a round shed with seats bolted on to it. Zero atmosphere, horrible place.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 08:31:27 »

Grounds ok, not too sure about the inmates though!!!

The Old den was a crap hole of the highest order. Of the newer ones, they are hit and miss the ones I've been to. Leicester and Colchester are poor, whilst Reading and Coventry are good Imo.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 08:48:13 »

Yeah I think Reading is pretty good.  Biggest problem is the location, like most new grounds.  Not been but I've heard that Riverside is the worst.

Completely agree re Doncaster, I went there to watch them in their first championship season against Newcastle.  Big crowd, lot of enthusiasm and excitement but even then the soulless ground had a depressing effect.  God knows what it would have been like the next year when they were getting relegated.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 11:40:48 »

Following on from Flashheart post, there may well be a change in how stadiums are designed. In the US in the past 2 decades there has been a move towards designing and buiding 'retro' ballparks in baseball and I for one would welcome some modern designs using some Archibald Leith design principles.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 11:47:03 »

Following on from Flashheart post, there may well be a change in how stadiums are designed. In the US in the past 2 decades there has been a move towards designing and buiding 'retro' ballparks in baseball and I for one would welcome some modern designs using some Archibald Leith design principles.

Sans the restricted views of course.

I was in the Johnny Haynes Stand the other week and it was a nice experience.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 11:59:59 »

I like the idea of the CG development rather then just a new build, I just hope if it ever come to that, we still have seats behind the floodlights in the corner of the townend, thats charachter just there Smiley
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 13:03:30 »

I still say that Loftus Road is my favourite ground.  If we could develop the CG and find a way to fill in the corners (which would mean new stands at either end) I would prefer that.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 13:17:54 »

As stated in the other thread I went to the Amex last weekend and was really impressed. Yes it was all a bit clinical - no pissing in the turnstile or up against a wall - but it was definitely not a soulless bowl.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 15:09:33 »

As stated in the other thread I went to the Amex last weekend and was really impressed. Yes it was all a bit clinical - no pissing in the turnstile or up against a wall - but it was definitely not a soulless bowl.

What?!? The posh fuckers!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 15:19:39 »

What?!? The posh fuckers!
This is Brighton, I am sure it was the norm back at the Goldstone ground.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 17:51:42 »

I like grounds with character. Look at the Millwall history website, cold blow lane looks great.
A uniquely intimidating and unsanitized atmosphere both inside and in the surrounds.

Perhaps if the County Ground were allowed to decay a decade or two more, it could achieve a little of the sense of danger about the (old) Den?

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/_borders/top.ht9.jpg

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 17:55:00 »

woops, the intended (old) Den link...

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/the_den.htm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: