Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground Redevelopment Or Never? And Left Behind!  (Read 51265 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 19:59:07 »

Beards and sandals Smiley.

CgMs?

Bloody hell its like LinkedIn :-)

Although I did go to a meeting today in jacket and jeans!

CgMs - pah no, we get results!

DPP
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 20:00:48 »

At my school, we've had neighbours complain about the noise of students at break and lunchtimes. They moan about the noise and what the kids to be quiet.

The school has been there since the 50's, if not before. If you don't like the noise why buy a house near a school?!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 20:21:33 »

Or build a transparent stand

That is not as stupid as it sounds.
A certain club, up the wrong end of the A420 has one.
fatbasher

« Reply #108 on: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 23:24:52 »

At my school, we've had neighbours complain about the noise of students at break and lunchtimes. They moan about the noise and what the kids to be quiet.

The school has been there since the 50's, if not before. If you don't like the noise why buy a house near a school?!

Similar to the cunt of a next door neighbour complaining about the kids playing in the cul de sac I live in. Not just my one but everyone's though it was always me he had a go at. In the end I told him a few home truths. Fuck off Mike, the kids were here before you and you knew there were kids here. You'd do your self and the neighbour hood a favour if you fucked off. He moved a week ago!

Sits in the DRS stand. Moved seats this season as he struggled up the stairs to the top row, shame he never fell down them. I feel sorry for his mate who sits with him.
fatbasher

« Reply #109 on: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 23:27:05 »

Forget a new ground in the foreseeable future,power has not hot the money. The club does not have the fan base or the money,yet. Sustainable promotion to the championship will change that but new owners or additional investors will be needed first.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 06:43:33 »

Forget a new ground in the foreseeable future,power has not hot the money. The club does not have the fan base or the money,yet. Sustainable promotion to the championship will change that but new owners or additional investors will be needed first.

And neither did Reading or Swansea when they went ahead with theirs.  (In fact, both had smaller fanbases than we do now.)  Ground building was a part of a top down transformation of both clubs that took them to the next level.

There's a real tendency in Swindon to explain away why things can't be done - which goes some way to explaining why the town (as opposed to the Town) has not really moved on since the 1980s, while other places it near it have.  I just wish, for once, someone would pull their finger out and actually do something in Swindon, instead of just talking about doing something.
REDBUCK

« Reply #111 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 07:14:11 »

Or stand for office instead of moaning about it
fatbasher

« Reply #112 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 07:16:30 »

And neither did Reading or Swansea when they went ahead with theirs.  (In fact, both had smaller fanbases than we do now.)  Ground building was a part of a top down transformation of both clubs that took them to the next level.

There's a real tendency in Swindon to explain away why things can't be done - which goes some way to explaining why the town (as opposed to the Town) has not really moved on since the 1980s, while other places it near it have.  I just wish, for once, someone would pull their finger out and actually do something in Swindon, instead of just talking about doing something.

Look, I agree with your last paragraph.

Your first paragraph is an explanation of what has happened elsewhere, that's now history and envy on our part.

The reality is and it keeps coming back to this. The council own the ground Power owns the stands, which is like turning up at a lesbian orgy with a condom.....

The council have got no money, they never have whether those nasty conservatives are making them work for every penny they get or the profligate labour chaps are throwing more cash at them than they know what to do with and that won't change.

Power has more money than me or you I'll wager but he does not have the unlimited cash that would need to be spent on a new ground or a massive refurb of the current ground. No point ringing up SBC still.

8k per home game, up to 6k season tickets, reducing the bloated playing budget, level of football and a multitude of other reasons why this is not going to happen in the near term.

In short, money is the key either way and at a guess how much do you think a decent refurb or new site with new ground is going to cost?

Sorry to bring a touch of reality to a dream I suggest we all have but that's the way it is.

We'll revisit this in 5 years. I believe it's called ground hog day......
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 07:29:59 »

There's a lot of support out there, maybe people feel that things are not going to change with the club, nothing really different has happened in the last 20 years. It has happened for other clubs in that time
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 07:31:50 »

I think that's County Ground hog day ...
fatbasher

« Reply #115 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 08:08:01 »

There's a lot of support out there, maybe people feel that things are not going to change with the club, nothing really different has happened in the last 20 years. It has happened for other clubs in that time

4D, you've IMHO just rehashed what Ardilles ha said or alluded to. It's not happened yet. We've been in the premier league for one season and a reasonable amount of time in what is the championship. All we have to show for it is the DRS and some cosmetic makeovers.

Groundhog day as I said, 5 years and we'll see where we are.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 08:24:18 »

I see what you're saying fats, we are either a perpetual lower league side who have had a couple of good seasons higher up the leagues, or someone takes a punt on us and does something similar to Swansea,  reading etc. If that doesn't happen we will be in L1 or 2 still.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 08:32:49 »

Bloody hell its like LinkedIn :-)

Although I did go to a meeting today in jacket and jeans!

CgMs - pah no, we get results!

DPP

There was a DPP in Bedford a few years back, but I think they folded.  I assume you're at the Portchester Rd branch?  I'm at BW in soho sq.  PM me your details as I’m often looking for arch/heritage assessments, plus we’re at risk of boring the TEF with more planning acronyms. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 09:39:12 »

Or stand for office instead of moaning about it

The problem in the present political climate, is that it would be very difficult for any local politician, to help the club even if they were minded to, such has been the gradual erosion of local democracy, by central government.

My grandfather was a Town fan and a local councillor for 34 years...he was an Alderman, a post abolished in the Heathite local government reform of 74, he was awarded an MBE for his services to the people of Swindon. His focus was, primarily as a Union man on jobs and employment, followed by health and welfare, particularly of the disabled, then education.

Football was for him something the fellas did on a Saturday afternoon, the hordes leaving the Works or Pressed Steel and usually cycling off down to the CG.

He loved a good moan....and having lived through some shit probably thought it was what Saturday afternoon was for...

His take was pretty much, you want a new stand, then nowt wrong with the fans fundraising to pay for it....or just recycle one  from somewhere..

Maybe the Trust having got the 6 month thing on the CG in place, could start some fundraising, to say build a new TE.... the mere fact that something is happening however small might have a seeding effect and start to focus minds.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 4, 2014, 09:41:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #119 on: Friday, April 4, 2014, 13:33:03 »

Why can't the council just sign over the land the CG stands on to the club - obviously with a clause stating it had to remain a football ground - and let an individual or whatever finance the refurb or build a new stadium with the wider community in mind

I would imagine the banks would lend against the value of the site.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: