Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground Redevelopment Or Never? And Left Behind!  (Read 51262 times)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 09:27:37 »

I like our shitty little ground. It may not be a perfect, soulless bowl, but it's home to STFC and that's all that matters.

Although some nicer facilities wouldn't go amiss. I'd also like to be able to sit in the DRS and not have to chop my knees off on the chair in front. Or be touching the person sitting next to me.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 11:57:50 »

We're not getting left behind, we've been behind for a while.

It all goes hand in hand though. The council don't care about the club, the people of Swindon barely care about the club and even it's own fanbase a few weeks ago were threatening to walk out on it. Why the hell should anyone spend millions re-developing when even Season Ticket holders can hardly be bothered?

Think you're wide of the mark there.  For a club that’s been outside of the top two divisions now for nearly 15 years, averaging 8,000+ at home is respectable.  Not sure how anyone would conclude that people don’t care.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:12:21 »

Was just wondering if STFC will EVER get a new stadium or a major redevelopment?. Getting concerned that we will get left behind, even worse when all our major local rivals all have new stadiums or major re-vamps for example...Reading-New Stadium, Poxford-New Stadium, Bristol Rovers-Getting new stadium, Bristol Shitty-Major redevelopment starting this summer. Swindon Town?? Sweet F.A. as per usual.....discuss folks
I think we should be more grateful than any Pox fan for what has transpired from their new ground Pint
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:15:53 »

Think you're wide of the mark there.  For a club that’s been outside of the top two divisions now for nearly 15 years, averaging 8,000+ at home is respectable.  Not sure how anyone would conclude that people don’t care.

8,000 is pretty good for league one but about half of that number come from outside the Town. given that the population of Swindon is over 200,000 it's not unreasonable to conclude that the Town itself gives the club pretty poor support on the whole.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:16:57 »

Im not so sure. He has a point in my opinion. 8,000 out of a population of nearly 200k is poor. Yes i know the standard isnt always great etc but how many people would even care if we were at the top end of the championship? Probably still only about 12k max.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:17:47 »

Yes. Power has stated he wants to get us self sufficient. Thats his priority. I think a new stadium is way down the line.

You may well be correct, but the club will never be self sufficient without being able to generate a lot more revenue from the stadium.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:18:33 »

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation though. We dont have the fanbase for a bigger stadium yet if we got one it might help increase the fanbase and interest in the club.
kerry red

« Reply #22 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:21:24 »

Then you've got Rotherham and Preston, both firmly entrenched in the POs for ages, who got no more fans through the gate at home last Saturday than we did.

We do pretty well, I reckon, for support.

And there is also a fair bit of 'latent' support, or plastics if you prefer, who would hop on board.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 13:04:23 »

Two words: Catchment Area.

We're not competing too much where we are as there are not any other 'major' clubs until you hit Reading to the East, Bristol to the West, Southampton/Bournemouth to the South, and Coventry/Brum to the north. Okay, to the south it's mostly fields and Army Personnel until you hit Amesbury, but you see my point.

As Audrey says, 'latent' support is there, just needs enticing more regularly. A new stadium might help that. It might not. You can never tell.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 13:12:10 »

Then you've got Rotherham and Preston, both firmly entrenched in the POs for ages, who got no more fans through the gate at home last Saturday than we did.

To be fair from Rovrums point of view you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a football club
Couldnt even hit one with a howitzer from the CG as no one within 30 miles or so of us
Preston dont fair much better as all the clubs close to them in the championship

We are lucky in that dont have another league club on our doorstep
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 14:17:20 »

You may well be correct, but the club will never be self sufficient without being able to generate a lot more revenue from the stadium.

Here lies the problem...the previous regime at times said they were looking into building something into the stadium, that might  generate some dosh, but then we hit a the present recession.

With the economy fucked, just what could be viable in the present stadium. We've had all sorts of suggestions down the years, and even when the Arkells was built, a betting shop and squash court built into them...both failed.

Presently some sort of flats seem to be about the only option...like at Orient.

Kassam is looking to build into his corners and fence end, plus a bit of car park....building flats into the Stratton Bank, facing the extension with maybe some basic boxes facing the pitch you'd have thought could be viable.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 20:38:00 »

With the economy fucked, just what could be viable in the present stadium. We've had all sorts of suggestions down the years, and even when the Arkells was built, a betting shop and squash court built into them...both failed.

I think that is the crux, Reg, although I'm not sure the general economic situation is that significant when it comes to the CG - nothing's happened since the DRS was built and the economic climate has fluctuated both ways since then.

As you say, what circumstances would make redevelopment viable? What would be in it for the owner of the club or SBC? What kind of realistic redevelopment would create a return on monies spent and continue to generate revenue beyond match-day use and for some considerable time to come?

Unfortunately, the current political culture is one of development that is perceived to help kick-start the economy in the short term (ie put money in the pockets of developers, usually with regard to housing and building on green belt), rather than development for the benefit of wider society for the long term (culture, health, well-being, education, redeveloping brownfield sites). It also does not help that the current political culture is one of the state (and local government) taking less responsibility for things it really should (in my opinion) take a lead on.

There just does not seem to be the vision or will in this town to come up with radical, forward-thinking schemes, that might seem a bit risky, but for which future generations might actually thank us for. Whenever brownfield sites are developed the results are usually average at best (Churchward apartments - I think there was a missed opportunity here, this could have been Swindon's Cultural / Heritage Quarter with a resited and purpose-built museum and art gallery to sit alongside big hitters like the National Trust and English Heritage, and STEAM). When greenfield sites are developed, the results are usually worse than average (the housing estates north of Thamesdown Drive, eg Oakhurst, are shocking examples of 21st century housing estates). Could, for example, the GW Hospital scheme have had greater vision - building a medical school/university, research labs, key-worker housing, and possibly also a sports city (football stadium, cricket stadium, training pitches, proper athletics track, cycle routes etc etc)?

Successful towns need to invest in long-term schemes, and hopefully ones that have the quality to last and become the heritage of the future (and there is huge, long-term value in heritage). A football club and its stadium can be part of that.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 21:16:16 »

If there is one thing that irritates me it's the words 'soulless bowl'. Now don't get me wrong I don't want a flat pack stadium like Colchester but if we were ever in a position to have something like Stadium:MK and all its facilities compared to the decaying County Ground surely it's a no brainer?
Flashheart

« Reply #28 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 21:28:59 »

If there is one thing that irritates me it's the words 'soulless bowl'. Now don't get me wrong I don't want a flat pack stadium like Colchester but if we were ever in a position to have something like Stadium:MK and all its facilities compared to the decaying County Ground surely it's a no brainer?

Absolutely a no brainer.

The decaying County Ground wins every time.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, March 31, 2014, 21:52:54 »

I like grounds with character. Look at the Millwall history website, cold blow lane looks great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: