Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FGR v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 16731 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 07:15:51 »

Thought he was great at doing what you need to do against 10 men and switched play constantly

Exactly, and did it much quicker and more effectively than anyone else before. I thought he did a good job and Kinsella had been a liability.

Interesting to hear Flynn say the midfield didn’t make angles for the defenders to pass out… Kinsella’s movement was non existent when we were in possession. I was watching him and he basically just stood next to an FGR player every time, effectively marking himself. Let’s hope he improves because he was crap last night and the foul on their player was a disgrace.
doomster

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 07:38:34 »

I am a little concerned that we aren’t measuring success by counting penalty box entries anymore
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 07:43:56 »

I am a little concerned that we aren’t measuring success by counting penalty box entries anymore

We can count shots instead, which are a bit closer to goals! 21, 20 and 24 in three games this season (8, 6 and 9 on target, so let's not get too carried away...)

Nothing better to do with my morning so thought I'd work out how long it took us to take 65 shots under Jody Morris.

Newport A 6
Doncaster H 8
Sutton A 11
Salford A 3
Harrogate H 13
Orient A 8
Carlisle H 10
Walsall A 12

So eight games to get past 65.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 07:59:23 »

Would be interesting to see a tally of Hutton's crosses per game so far.
The man is a machine. Great to watch.

Ok, maybe quantity over quality at times but he's just doing his job and it's up to others to make something of them.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:02:11 »

Great right foot just needs to cross the ball a little lower with more pace.

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:03:28 »

I think what these first three games have shown us, as if we didn't know it, is that the Guardiola Disciples have no place in League Two. The tippy tappy shite that we have been served up is far less effective with players of this calibre than straightforward direct football. It doesn't have to be route one but if you get it into the box, you have a chance, either from a rare moment of quality or more likely a mistake from the opposition.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:06:04 »

Looking forward to reading back this MDT given the ending!

I didn't really know what to make of the first half. We seemed a bit 'sluggish'. Nice finish by Stevens, I wonder if players are targeting that part of the goal against Mahoney after the 2 conceded on Saturday. To be fair he probably had no chance so I'm making something of nothing! Smiley The other talking point of course was the absolutely terrible tackle by Kinsella that should have seen him walk. You have to feel sorry for Taylor-Moore who has had injury issues before and saw his evening ended in horrible fashion.

Second half, the first thing I noticed was that Mahoney's first 2 goal kicks went banging down the pitch, I found this odd as Innis had pretty much won everything in the air, but it seemed to work and whilst the goalkeeper thwarted Charlie again, (a theme of last night unfortunately) there was Kemp to gleefully finish. Having someone like Kemp to be the fox in the box is going to be important for us this season I reckon. Then the referee took centre stage giving Bunker his marching orders after 2 fairly pathetic fouls. The second a ludicrous one to stop Tom Brewitt stepping out of defence. (I think it was) I imagine his manager wasn't happen at his decision making. And with that we took total control, flooding forward and totally pushing FGR back. I remembered back to the Gillingham game last season where we played against 10 and that was a pathetic, slow turgid effort. This was the total opposite, we were brave and fully deserved the 3 points when FBT's strike scorched into the net.

3 very welcome points. Yes, the referee had a part to play, but ignoring that after a pretty poor first half we stepped it up in the second and dominated. It's a thoroughly more enjoyable way we play which I think is going to make us see goals at either end more often than not. Once Charlie finds the back of the net he'll be flying. I'm still concerned by our left side and the midfield. Also when we play sides like Sutton, it's going to be interesting to see how our complete lack of height cope with it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:08:32 »

Looking forward to reading back this MDT given the ending!

I didn't really know what to make of the first half. We seemed a bit 'sluggish'. Nice finish by Stevens, I wonder if players are targeting that part of the goal against Mahoney after the 2 conceded on Saturday. To be fair he probably had no chance so I'm making something of nothing! Smiley The other talking point of course was the absolutely terrible tackle by Kinsella that should have seen him walk. You have to feel sorry for Taylor-Moore who has had injury issues before and saw his evening ended in horrible fashion.

Second half, the first thing I noticed was that Mahoney's first 2 goal kicks went banging down the pitch, I found this odd as Innis had pretty much won everything in the air, but it seemed to work and whilst the goalkeeper thwarted Charlie again, (a theme of last night unfortunately) there was Kemp to gleefully finish. Having someone like Kemp to be the fox in the box is going to be important for us this season I reckon. Then the referee took centre stage giving Bunker his marching orders after 2 fairly pathetic fouls. The second a ludicrous one to stop Tom Brewitt stepping out of defence. (I think it was) I imagine his manager wasn't happen at his decision making. And with that we took total control, flooding forward and totally pushing FGR back. I remembered back to the Gillingham game last season where we played against 10 and that was a pathetic, slow turgid effort. This was the total opposite, we were brave and fully deserved the 3 points when FBT's strike scorched into the net.

3 very welcome points. Yes, the referee had a part to play, but ignoring that after a pretty poor first half we stepped it up in the second and dominated. It's a thoroughly more enjoyable way we play which I think is going to make us see goals at either end more often than not. Once Charlie finds the back of the net he'll be flying. I'm still concerned by our left side and the midfield. Also when we play sides like Sutton, it's going to be interesting to see how our complete lack of height cope with it.

It will be interesting to see how we cope with Ben Tozer's long throw's into the penalty box on Saturday

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:11:46 »

We shall have to see about Kinsella.  It seems that since Grant, we have looked for small players like him and Louis Reed to break up play in front of the central defenders.  Reed was always making angles and linking up but was no defender.  Kinsella needs to settle in a bit more.  He never came with a creative label but I can see him becoming a very useful defensive midfielder.  Regardless, we still need a more imposing central defensive midfielder who won't get knocked off the ball except when buying a foul and a bit of time.

Overall quite a wasteful, ornamental display from midfield last night. Nevertheless, Kemp was on hand to nod in and McEachran did beat Daniels if not the woodwork when so nearly equalising in the first half.  As also noted, Cain played the ideal switching role against the 10 men.  

But instead of slow, tippy tappy (ok for Man City), we built up far more quickly down the flanks.  FBT and even more so, UGM, showed a carrying capacity to develop "inside out" play with Hutton and Genesini.  UGM, Hutton and Young were risky, yes but offensively they threatened Forest Green in both halves never giving them the chance to properly re-organise. Soon enough, cuter teams will prepare to counter UGM and FBT's predisposal to carry the ball forward but last night they were both great and worked a treat.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:14:39 »

FGR 1 Swindon 2 Att: 3450 (1220 Town fans)
Genius call. Wink

What was last night's crowd out of interest, anyone?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:19:28 »

Genius call. Wink

I've not seen it anywhere😀

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #431 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:23:17 »

Great right foot just needs to cross the ball a little lower with more pace.
I disagree I think he needs to get higher crosses in as far too many are low and driven rather than with any purpose of finding a head, we play for low crosses most of the time.

It was nice to see Genesini cross higher for the first goal so giving Austin a chance of winning a header at the far post.

Hutton is definately quantity over quality with crosses though, so many times he got into a great crossing position only to cross low and it hit the 1st defender.

He is a major threat though but if he could cross consistantly he would be a hell of an attacking wingback/winger.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:25:17 »

I think we think Hutton's crossing is worse than it is because we're a team of short players who often aren't in the box to be on the end of them. Chuck Jamille Matt and Armstrong from Harrogate up top and I imagine Hutton's crossing would look 10x better! There've been a lot of very sweetly hit crosses that just haven't had anyone attacking them.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #433 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:25:27 »

Genius call. Wink

It wasnt announced yesterday AFAIK.

Apparently it was.

3,265  (1,221 from Swindon)

Apparently there were at least 100-200 Town fans in the other stands so that way figure could be increased substantially.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:26:03 »

Having just watched the extended highlights-

What a goal that would have been after Austins chest down and volley.

The ball in from Genesini in the lead up to the first goal was a bit good.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: