Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FGR v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 15439 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 15:19:48 »

FGR 1 Swindon 2 Att: 3450 (1220 Town fans)

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 06:56:27 »

Draw, 1-1

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 06:59:02 »

RHM x 3 Austin
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 07:51:42 »

What are we thinking in terms of line up...?

Can't help but feel that RHM was held back for this game.

McEachran drops to the bench for Kinsella for me.

I'm going with:

Mahoney

Dokes        Brewitt       FBT

Hutton                                                                 Uwakwe

Kinsella          Khan

Kemp

Austin                 RHM
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 08:31:07 »

I'm going with:

Mahoney

Kinsella          Khan

Kemp

Kinsella and McEachran in the middle, but otherwise agree with this line up
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 08:43:19 »

I'm going with:

Mahoney

Kinsella          Khan

Kemp

If RHM is fit then yes I would go with that, if not then Young to replace him.

I too would pick Khan ahead of McEachran after Saturdays performance.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:03:02 »

Not sure it is a good thing when most of our fanbase could likely agree on 91% of our starting line up after one league game. It doesn't scream strength in depth.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:24:04 »

Well, I don't think we have picked the right starting line up. There are lots of different options. Based upon what Flynn said:

- Uwakwe isn't fit and didn't do much to grab the shirt. I think he'll be on the bench.
- Ward had a back spasm, but was preferred from the outset. I suspect that will be the same.
- RHM was out for a game or two. I think he will be rested until Saturday
- Wakeling was preferred to Young on Saturday. If Wakeling is injured then that means Young comes in, or does it?
- Can Austin do Saturday/Tuesday?
- As someone already pointed out Shade could be back in the mix. If so, getting him to run alongside Austin may happen.
- So up top could be: Austin/Wakeling, Austin/Young, Austin/Shade, Young/Wakeling, Young Shade or Wakeling/Shade.
- We might try to be tighter in midfield. So Kinsella might start. Its not a given that he comes in for another midfielder. It could be that one of the strikers gives way for him and that we go for Young/Kemp up top.

I am hoping that we have the luxury of getting to see a bit of Genesini for Hutton in the second half perhaps. I'd like to see what his crossing is like and whether he can defend. I suspect that the answer is that he doesn't defend too well!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:29:03 »

I think we need Khan in the middle. He carries the ball really well and can operate in both halves.

I'm sure this won't happen but McEachran at LWB? He's a leftie and technically miles better than most in the squad at the moment. I thought he was very good on Saturday so deserves to start if he's fit.

I was impressed with Kinsella's energy when he came on at the weekend. He also put in a lovely cross for Austin (we won't go into that though).

Hoping Austin is up to it and RHM can start together.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:29:15 »

Pre match welcome to non league in The Lord John.

This is what it would be like, poky stadiums on the outskirts of small towns and even villages, miles from the nearest train station.
Not disparaging FGR's efforts in making it in to the EFL, they are in L2 on merit as are we.
Stroud & Nailsworth are nice places to visit but lack of a proper integrated public transport network makes this a much better trip on a Saturday than midweek.

So, local derby? Yes.
Fierce local rivalry? No.
Still hoping for some ferocious action on the pitch in the sleepy hamlet this evening though.
And remember to keep the noise down on the way out of the ground, wouldn't want to wake the locals.

Good record here. Unbeaten in league visits so hopefully the team has the wherewithal to keep that run going.
Not sure if they still like to pass it around under the new manager & we'll need to keep an on Matt Stevens if he plays.
A few connections today with UGM & Young wanting to do well, as will Lavinier & former "triallist" JMT.

Austin will be wanting to get off the mark this evening.
Wouldn't bet against him doing so.

We'll get a slightly better idea of direction of travel after the next couple of games, but still too early to be definitive either way.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:31:28 »

I think we need Khan in the middle. He carries the ball really well and can operate in both halves.

I'm sure this won't happen but McEachran at LWB? He's a leftie and technically miles better than most in the squad at the moment. I thought he was very good on Saturday so deserves to start if he's fit.

I was impressed with Kinsella's energy when he came on at the weekend. He also put in a lovely cross for Austin (we won't go into that though).

Hoping Austin is up to it and RHM can start together.

I like this idea.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:33:15 »

Well, I don't think we have picked the right starting line up. There are lots of different options. Based upon what Flynn said:

- Uwakwe isn't fit and didn't do much to grab the shirt. I think he'll be on the bench.
- Ward had a back spasm, but was preferred from the outset. I suspect that will be the same.
- RHM was out for a game or two. I think he will be rested until Saturday
- Wakeling was preferred to Young on Saturday. If Wakeling is injured then that means Young comes in, or does it?
- Can Austin do Saturday/Tuesday?
- As someone already pointed out Shade could be back in the mix. If so, getting him to run alongside Austin may happen.
- So up top could be: Austin/Wakeling, Austin/Young, Austin/Shade, Young/Wakeling, Young Shade or Wakeling/Shade.
- We might try to be tighter in midfield. So Kinsella might start. Its not a given that he comes in for another midfielder. It could be that one of the strikers gives way for him and that we go for Young/Kemp up top.

I am hoping that we have the luxury of getting to see a bit of Genesini for Hutton in the second half perhaps. I'd like to see what his crossing is like and whether he can defend. I suspect that the answer is that he doesn't defend too well!

Sorry, I meant our best possible XI. Which I don't think a single fan would say includes Shade!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:45:47 by Mooneyraker » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:40:51 »

Pre match welcome to non league in The Lord John.

This is what it would be like, poky stadiums on the outskirts of small towns and even villages, miles from the nearest train station.

Not sure it would be, admittedly its up north and midlands, but I have been to a fair few non-league grounds (probably more that FL ones) over the years and they tend to be more central in towns mainly due to the clubs not having the cash to sell up and fuck off to new builds outside town centres, often the problem is down to crappy public transport in this country rather than the location of the grounds.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 09:47:54 »

Sorry, I meant out best possible XI. Which I don't think a single fan would say includes Shade!
Fair enough.

Shame that Shade is an athlete and not a footballer. I still keep thinking that he looked awesome for the first half of both games he played for Walsall against us. If only someone could find his best position and he could learn to play it. Maybe it is up top poking in sc ruffy goals alongside a big CF?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 10:02:55 »

Not sure it would be, admittedly its up north and midlands, but I have been to a fair few non-league grounds (probably more that FL ones) over the years and they tend to be more central in towns mainly due to the clubs not having the cash to sell up and fuck off to new builds outside town centres, often the problem is down to crappy public transport in this country rather than the location of the grounds.

Yeah, the majority of teams in the NL divisions are probably not too bad in terms of getting to and from.
Most of the suburbs of larger cities are reasonably well served by local rail services.
Central locations given over to football grounds could be viewed as prime real estate, so must be a temptation for some owners.
Would make for an interesting study.

Equally interesting is the journey that the new Bury are just embarking on.
Part of me, albeit a very small part, would want to be part of a phoenix club experience, but hoping that it never happens.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: