Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 ... 105   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 127721 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 12:54:25 »

Twine apart have we had any good youth players deserving of minutes though? The fact we struggle to get any of them to teams above national league north or south suggests we just aren’t producing players of the required standard currently.

Youngsters can’t just be played out of hope, there needs to be a genuine expectation they are good enough.

Part of the problem is that any of the really talented youth players at Swindon get swallowed up by the bigger clubs at a much earlier age. Clearly because we simply don't have the facilities to properly rear our own superstars. I guess we were fortunate Twine managed to make it all the way with us.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 12:54:48 »

Managerial appointments are generally so short term these days there is no reason to blood youngsters in the hope they might come good for you in a couple of seasons.  

As a manager you probably wont be there in a couple of seasons time, unless you have some sort of generational youngster knocking on the door who can help immediately there is little point in a long term strategy of thinking about promoting youth.

The club would obviously have a different opinion.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:17:54 »

Managerial appointments are generally so short term these days there is no reason to blood youngsters in the hope they might come good for you in a couple of seasons. 

As a manager you probably wont be there in a couple of seasons time, unless you have some sort of generational youngster knocking on the door who can help immediately there is little point in a long term strategy of thinking about promoting youth.

Would be nice for Flynn to be a success and to keep a manager for longer than 5 minutes. Just a little bit of stability.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:18:47 »

Twine apart have we had any good youth players deserving of minutes though? The fact we struggle to get any of them to teams above national league north or south suggests we just aren’t producing players of the required standard currently.

Youngsters can’t just be played out of hope, there needs to be a genuine expectation they are good enough.

As far as the Pizza Cup I would definitely play the best performing youngsters out of hope. Its a mickey mouse competition and nothing more than a distraction in my opinion. Would look to give at two of the youth team a start every game.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:21:40 »

As far as the Pizza Cup I would definitely play the best performing youngsters out of hope. Its a mickey mouse competition and nothing more than a distraction in my opinion. Would look to give at two of the youth team a start every game.

I’d treat it as an early season reserve league. Play fringe and youth and get them some match sharpness.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:23:04 »

Play as many as you can without getting fined is my preference.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #711 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:32:07 »

Part of the problem is that any of the really talented youth players at Swindon get swallowed up by the bigger clubs at a much earlier age. Clearly because we simply don't have the facilities to properly rear our own superstars. I guess we were fortunate Twine managed to make it all the way with us.
Absolutely, if you look at the young players we let slip through our fingers, through no fault of our own, being snapped up by Reading, Southampton, Shitty, Chelsea etc. Money talks to young lads.

I would quite like to see us go for a loan player who maybe played for our school/youth set up as maybe they will feel more at home, a player like Markus Ifill who has been playing really well for Brighton in the Prem League 2 this season.

Hes aged 19 now so must be ready for a go in 1st team conditions. He is an out and out attacking left winger/attacking central midfielder, a position we need (maybe less so under Flynn) and who we sold for around £250k a couple of seasons back as a 16 year old. Is also Swindon born.

Chelsea too have taken a few young ex Town youngsters such as Jude Soonsup-Bell who they sold to Spurs for arounf £1m recently and is also 19 so ready for a fling at 1st team level, He is the second highest goal-scorer for the England U16s, behind Jadon Sancho, with six goals in seven appearances.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:48:01 »

Definitely worth playing that card. "Come home for a bit and get some first team action"
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 13:55:29 »

Absolutely, if you look at the young players we let slip through our fingers, through no fault of our own, being snapped up by Reading, Southampton, Shitty, Chelsea etc. Money talks to young lads.

I would quite like to see us go for a loan player who maybe played for our school/youth set up as maybe they will feel more at home, a player like Markus Ifill who has been playing really well for Brighton in the Prem League 2 this season.

Hes aged 19 now so must be ready for a go in 1st team conditions. He is an out and out attacking left winger/attacking central midfielder, a position we need (maybe less so under Flynn) and who we sold for around £250k a couple of seasons back as a 16 year old. Is also Swindon born.

Chelsea too have taken a few young ex Town youngsters such as Jude Soonsup-Bell who they sold to Spurs for arounf £1m recently and is also 19 so ready for a fling at 1st team level, He is the second highest goal-scorer for the England U16s, behind Jadon Sancho, with six goals in seven appearances.

I'd imagine Morris will be saying to his mates "don't ever loan those c***s a player!"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 14:30:06 »

Wayne Hatswell and Jimmy Fraser were in the same class at school, maybe they can have a pint and discuss next season.  Minturn's Dad was also in the same school team with them both, so maybe they all get together and present the best way of getting the Chelsea youth involved.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 14:46:16 »

Wayne Hatswell and Jimmy Fraser were in the same class at school, maybe they can have a pint and discuss next season.  Minturn's Dad was also in the same school team with them both, so maybe they all get together and present the best way of getting the Chelsea youth involved.

What school was that out of interest?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 14:55:51 »

Hreod Parkway, as it was then.  Best school team in the County I think, at the time.  Several of them went on to be signed at Youth level and/or play professional/semi pro.  Meant I was destined to rot in the back-up teams (maybe because I wasn't actually that great and had the fitness of a sloth).
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 15:11:49 »

I wonder why it was changed from Hreod Burna🤔

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 15:14:05 »

Nova Hreod Academy now.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 15:16:01 »

I get Nova Hreod as that's a completely new school when I went there it was Burna😀

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 ... 105   Go Up
Print
Jump to: