Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 105   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 127630 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 08:16:39 »

Not sure this will make it to Spotify. It is just a quick 5 mins thing recorded in the stand last night.

Ah well. What did Flynn say about the playing style then? Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 08:50:24 »

Interesting last 20 mins of the LSPod Flynn episode with a Newport fan, worth a listen but if you're not going to:

- Flynn is pragmatic, will change formation/tactics to the team you're playing
- Playing style improved a lot after the pitch got sorted, but it was evolution rather than revolution
- Preferred a 5-3-2 with two battling midfielders and one more creative (Twine/Cain)
- He's bad cop, Hatswell is good cop (described as the brains behind the operation)
- Does like signing ex-players
- Didn't give many opportunities to their youth players, but does play young players who have been loaned in
- Popular with fans and media, and works on those relationships
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 08:52:50 by Nemo » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 08:54:12 »

Interesting last 20 mins of the LSPod Flynn episode with a Newport fan, worth a listen but if you're not going to:

- Flynn is pragmatic, will change formation/tactics to the team you're playing
- Playing style improved a lot after the pitch got sorted, but it was evolution rather than revolution
- Preferred a 5-3-2 with two battling midfielders and one more creative (Twine/Cain)
- He's bad cop, Hatswell is good cop (described as the brains behind the operation)
- Does like signing ex-players
- Didn't give many opportunities to their youth players, but does play young players who have been loaned in

Cheers Nemo - Also got some feedback from someone on our watsapp group who got info from a Walsall fan who said -

"Are you looking forward to 3-5-2 come rain or shine, two holding midfielders, (even at home against a team bottom of the league) no overlaps, no number 8, and an influx of old men from Newport"

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 08:58:14 »

Well, that doesn't sound like a particularly different take, just worked less well I guess!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:00:57 »

Well, that doesn't sound like a particularly different take, just worked less well I guess!

Yeah that's what I thought also. I mean we've been asking for more steel in the midfield for ages so it sounds like we might be getting it finally!

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:01:58 »

Cheers Nemo - Also got some feedback from someone on our watsapp group who got info from a Walsall fan who said -

"Are you looking forward to 3-5-2 come rain or shine, two holding midfielders, (even at home against a team bottom of the league) no overlaps, no number 8, and an influx of old men from Newport"

If it means we stop fannying around with it at the back for the sake of possession percentage then I’m all for it!!!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:28:54 »

Didn't he say in the Athleticpiece linked to earlier that he admitted that they got stuck in a shit pitch/long ball rut and should have got out of it earlier with hindsight?

TBF it didn't go well at Walsall, so I can't believe any of their fans will have much positive to say about him, see also Lindsey's record here.

BTW looking at Wiki, I see it was Sheridan who first appointed him as a coach at Newport, I also see he has a Pro Licence, have we had managers that qualified before?

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:37:36 »

Didn't he say in the Athleticpiece linked to earlier that he admitted that they got stuck in a shit pitch/long ball rut and should have got out of it earlier with hindsight?

TBF it didn't go well at Walsall, so I can't believe any of their fans will have much positive to say about him, see also Lindsey's record here.

BTW looking at Wiki, I see it was Sheridan who first appointed him as a coach at Newport, I also see he has a Pro Licence, have we had managers that qualified before?

One Jody Morris...
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:52:57 »

Yeah I think you have to take the Walsall feedback with a pinch of salt as it didn't go well there at all.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 09:57:40 »

Yeah I think you have to take the Walsall feedback with a pinch of salt as it didn't go well there at all.
And regarding the 'influx' of old men from Newport, I'm sure there'll be some of his favourites in the pipeline but you'd imagine budget had something to do with that too.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 10:13:34 »

And regarding the 'influx' of old men from Newport, I'm sure there'll be some of his favourites in the pipeline but you'd imagine budget had something to do with that too.

TBH from a cursory glance at Wikipedia I can't really see any influx from Newport to Walsall, if there was any recurring club in the past of Flynn's signings at Walsall it was FGR.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 10:18:58 »

TBH from a cursory glance at Wikipedia I can't really see any influx from Newport to Walsall, if there was any recurring club in the past of Flynn's signings at Walsall it was FGR.

Robbie Wilmott appears to be the only one I can actually find. Hardly an 'influx'!

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #687 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 10:34:27 »

Interesting take on Flynns appointment from the Newport forum.

He made his own problems at Walsall.....At the end of his tenure it was almost like when he was with us....It was everyone else's fault but his.

He will be sacked by Christmas because their Chairman will demand instant success and their fans will turn against him quicker than Walsall and our fans did.

If he wasn't a Newport lad do you think our crowd would have given him as much support as he got in his last few months in charge ??
FWIW I would HOPE we will back him more than Newport and Walsall in being able to bring in his own players to fit his style, whichever style he plays with Swindon, as long as we win games I will be happy, just get us out of this shit league, oh, and stop us conceding soft headed goals from set peices too, thank you.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 11:01:44 »

Interesting take on Flynns appointment from the Newport forum.
FWIW I would HOPE we will back him more than Newport and Walsall in being able to bring in his own players to fit his style, whichever style he plays with Swindon, as long as we win games I will be happy, just get us out of this shit league, oh, and stop us conceding soft headed goals from set peices too, thank you.

Worth bearing in mind that he resigned from Newport.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58750726
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 11:05:01 »

Hutton needs to go if that's the plan. I can't bear another season of his defending pretending he is a wing back.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 105   Go Up
Print
Jump to: