Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28151 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:27:15 »

JM confirmed today that no talks have been had with players other than Brewitt. He does not know what the budget will be next season as yet. Why do I feel this is going to be a similar close season as the last few years! Crying

Why is he holding talks with a player who already has a games trigger for a contract in his existing deal?

When it comes to do with his media contact, I still can't decide whether Morris is naively honest (which I struggle to believe as he must have been media trained to within an inch of his life whilst at Chelsea) or just very good at playing the long game to absolve himself of any subsequent blame.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:27:48 »

JM confirmed today that no talks have been had with players other than Brewitt. He does not know what the budget will be next season as yet. Why do I feel this is going to be a similar close season as the last few years! Crying

Isn't it going to be a promotion achieving budget? That's what was said in the AB minutes I thought?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:30:46 »

Isn't it going to be a promotion achieving budget? That's what was said in the AB minutes I thought?

But is he a promotion achieving manager.....  Wink

Who knows, but as many clubs have proven over the years budgets smudgets...
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:32:56 »

Why is he holding talks with a player who already has a games trigger for a contract in his existing deal?

When it comes to do with his media contact, I still can't decide whether Morris is naively honest (which I struggle to believe as he must have been media trained to within an inch of his life whilst at Chelsea) or just very good at playing the long game to absolve himself of any subsequent blame.

It is definitely the latter.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:33:11 »

But is he a promotion achieving manager.....  Wink

Who knows, but as many clubs have proven over the years budgets smudgets...

Indeed. Clubs like Barrow and Sutton appear to be doing ok on what you imagine are budgets well below ours.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:42:58 »

Might not have a choice. If his short term contract stated that if he played 10 or whatever he would get an extension, that is shat he us entitled to. If we didn’t fancy him during his short stint here Morris just wouldn’t pick him to prevent having to give him an extension.

I mean more if we have not triggered it yet, drop him before we do. I'm not saying signing him is right or wrong, more keep your options open while they are planning next season.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:45:08 »

Is he as good as past starting L2 CBs of recent years? No:

Conroy
Preston
Nelson
Baudry
Woolfenden
REG
JOB
Crichlow
Cooper

On that basis, being realistic about where we are and accepting that he seems to be a good squad "character" and can apparently play at RB and DM too, he seems an eminently sensible squad option for next year.

I disagree he is as good as most of this lot. A squad player maybe, but its more about options. Also i'm not calling a player that injured a colleague so he could play instead a good character.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:47:56 »

If you look back at the 'squad' defenders we have had in recent years in L2, I would argue that he is better than all of them:

Harries
Brennan
Minturn
Broadbent (one glorious day aside)
Zakuani
Curran
Robertson
Lancashire (aware he was a starter but truly rank)
Carroll
Romanski
Menayese
Etc etc

Conroy
Preston
Nelson
Baudry
Woolfenden
REG
JOB
Crichlow
Cooper

On that basis, being realistic about where we are and accepting that he seems to be a good squad "character" and can apparently play at RB and DM too, he seems an eminently sensible squad option for next year.

Jeez. When you put it like that, we really have had some dross at the back in recent times. Explains a lot. Though you're a touch harsh on Menayese. And who the heck was Carroll?

That Ali Koiki from Burnley was decent.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:50:46 »

I mean more if we have not triggered it yet, drop him before we do. I'm not saying signing him is right or wrong, more keep your options open while they are planning next season.

Thing is the last couple of games Morris seems to have finally stumbled upon a defence that doesn't leak like a colander, considering his reputation was going down the shitter like a log before that its  a risk to make changes now its starting like he has a clue what he is doing.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 13:54:33 »

So long as the plan is to clear out pretty much everyone, keeping someone like Brewitt is OK.  He's not what I would call a first choice central defender for a top three team, but he is useful enough and generally reliable.  A sort of Rob Hunt for Centre Backs.  Clayton can be developed.  Then you need one or two first choice ones (giving you the option of playing two or three) brought in.

Brewitt > Harries, a dead Baudry etc.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 14:12:24 »

Conroy
Preston
Nelson
Baudry
Woolfenden
REG
JOB
Crichlow
Cooper

I agree apart from Conroy and Chrichlow(who was rubbish on Tuesday). I think he's better than them

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 17:42:22 »

I agree apart from Conroy and Chrichlow(who was rubbish on Tuesday). I think he's better than them

Perhaps I was being unfair. Baffled that those on the LS Pod are quite so vitriolic against him.

Given a pre-season he could be a good steady Eddie for us.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #282 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:07:09 »

And who the heck was Carroll?
Canese Carroll was a young loanee from Brentford, played about 15 games in defensive midfield whos career has plummeted since then and now at the age of 24 plays for Oxford City. Pretty poor player TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:16:57 »

Brewitt is fine when he’s being asked to defend what is immediately in front of him. He appears to have no idea where he is supposed to stand relative to the rest of his teammates though.

So second half Tuesday, when defending deep and opposition are direct isn’t a problem. First half Tuesday, when opposition play it around a bit more, he’s all over the shop and creates space for the attackers. He’s a slower, less athletic jerel ifil

No issues with his apparent attitude or work rate - I’d have him as 4th choice CB, but if we’re going to rely on him next year we’re going to concede a lot of goals (as we have done since he joined)

Things get better but they never get good
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:17:22 »

In fairness it would be incredibly dumb of us to start talking up our budget prior to summer negotiations. Balancing act. Trying to appease our fans, and simultaneously not have to bend over for every transfer deal.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: