Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29134 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:53:06 »

gates aren't the only factor in finances
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:54:18 »

Crewe compaired to Swindon fanbase/size and potential are miles apart, population of approximately 76,000 and lucky to get crowds of 4,000 v a population of 225,000 averaging around 9,000 and could easily get 11,000, 12,000+ if promotion was a reality. Granted we've both been around the lower leagues for years play in red and we share the same Railway heritage but based on potential and what we could do on & off the pitch there is no comparison.

If I had a penny for every time I heard about potential ............... I would have £9.76
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:56:12 »

Put the money in your piggy bank for a rainy day.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #273 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:07:03 »

David Artell. All will be confirmed next week. Delighted with that
I hope its not Artell, Crewe fans disliked his style of dull tippy tappy football. Ended is reign at Crewe with 15 defeats and one draw in his last 16 games.

Some comments from the Crewe forum.

we are disaster Junkies or vampires, not sure which ? Because we have challenged abject failure Artell has managed to take the club back quicker than he took it forward.

it’s a results based business and Artell got what he deserved.

I get that people wanted him out and they had good reason.

I agree Artell is a decent man, but it should have been time for change during December. Now we have been relegated having lost 15 of the last 16 games.

There are obviously broader and more fundamental factors to do with the club's structure and operation which, aside from awful recruitment, tactics, team selections etc. which are somewhat closer to Artell's remit

I share the views of the posts above concerning Dave Artell being a decent man who gave everything for this club. However, being a good guy does not guarantee a job for life and he had to go in the end.

I would respectfully suggest that Dave Artell was considered out of his depth when first appointed. Indeed, I was one who privately questioned whether he was the right man for the job.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:14:18 »

Its almost like supporters all day the same thing about their own club
Peter Venkman

« Reply #275 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:15:19 »

Artell far from my first choice, but if it's him I'll get behind him and give him a chance (FWIW, Manning is my first choice).
I concur, Artell is not my first choice but I guess as paupers and relative beggars we have no choice in appointing anyone better suited.

I also wouldnt mind Leam Robinson as he knows Sandro and the model too as he faced difficulties at Wigan and got them the championship in L1 under difficult circumstances.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #276 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:16:54 »

Artell looks like a huge upgrade on paper. Not an exciting appointment but an eminently sensible one - like Danny Wilson after Malpas.

Everyone not owned by an oil state is a selling club, don't kid yourself. It's just some clubs (Peterborough) are better at than others.
All very valid points that are impossible to argue with.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #277 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:18:30 »

Yeah I didn't want to get all 'we're massive' but fuck off are we the same size as Crewe. What, because we sell players? So does everyone.

Crewe has a much lower ceiling than Swindon.
100% this.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:22:54 »

I think Artell or Roibinson seem to make sense on paper based upon the stated intentions of the club.

I don't know whether either would be any good.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:23:21 »

Is there any such thing as an 'exciting' appointment for a club in our position?

I guess you can take exciting in a few ways.

In terms of managerial CV and name recognition, Mark Hughes at Bradford is miles ahead of any L2 appointment made in the last decade or so. He's doing okay, but they're not pissing the division.

Exciting in Town terms often means taking a flier on a recently retired/about to retire player in their first job as we did with Wise, Di Canio, Hoddle and less successfully Iffy and Jimmy Quinn. That I guess is where the Carrick/Duncan Ferguson type shouts come from.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:31:41 »

I hope its not Artell, Crewe fans disliked his style of dull tippy tappy football. Ended is reign at Crewe with 15 defeats and one draw in his last 16 games.

Some comments from the Crewe forum.

I wonder if Orient fans quoted our forum when appointing Wellens? Plenty of negatives on here bout him Hmmm

Its always a punt - but he's worth a punt I reckon....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #281 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:31:59 »

I guess you can take exciting in a few ways.

In terms of managerial CV and name recognition, Mark Hughes at Bradford is miles ahead of any L2 appointment made in the last decade or so. He's doing okay, but they're not pissing the division.

Exciting in Town terms often means taking a flier on a recently retired/about to retire player in their first job as we did with Wise, Di Canio, Hoddle and less successfully Iffy and Jimmy Quinn. That I guess is where the Carrick/Duncan Ferguson type shouts come from.
Absolutely this, Pdc was our last truly "exciting appointment" and we were in L2, but for experience, yes Hughes would be up there, but Bradford fans want him sacked now too so it obviously doing always work, Jackett at Orient as well seemed great "on paper" and now hes DoF at Gillingham.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #282 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:33:07 »

I wonder if Orient fans quoted our forum when appointing Wellens? Plenty of negatives on here bout him Hmmm

Its always a punt - but he's worth a punt I reckon....
Indeed they did.

Moss

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:34:23 »

He was manager of Crewe when both sides got promoted when Wellens was in charge. When the league was stopped, Crewe were top but our game in hand meant that we won the league on PPG. Artell won the LMA league 2 manager of the year award.

He's been out of football since leaving Crewe but appears to be hungry now to get back into football. We could definitely do a lot worse I reckon.

Thanks - So a history of getting promotion from league 2 and playing the right way, and developing young players. Not many with that on their CV and nobody will not have some negativity on there. No Brainer IMHO.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 11:37:41 »

And his name sounds almost like Arkell - shoe in.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: