Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29146 times)
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 07:14:39 »

Artell would be a good fit here. Plays attacking football, experience of blooding younger players, also did well on a low budget - got Crewe to finish 12th in L1 in 2021, then lost his better players in the summer. He also has a shedload of experience in the lower leagues as a player. A much better option than what we've had.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 07:40:19 »

Artell would be a good fit here. Plays attacking football, experience of blooding younger players, also did well on a low budget - got Crewe to finish 12th in L1 in 2021, then lost his better players in the summer. He also has a shedload of experience in the lower leagues as a player. A much better option than what we've had.
Crewe also went down under his tenure didn’t they?
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:04:50 »

as others have said crew and swindon are similar in some ways - shirt colour, railways, size, being in the lower leagues for many years, type of football played and selling players to balance the books. 

I don't know who else might be available and I don't know enough about artell to suggest he could not do a good job.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:20:08 »

The ethos is different, though - or, at least, I hope to God it is. Crewe, as a club, have been run on similar lines as we are now. But their only aim is to survive - and their fans, by and large, have bought into it.

Develop young players to sell on and thereby enabling the club to survive. That’s why their league position ebbs and flows according to the crop of young players they have at any particular time. All very laudable.

But, without trying to sound all Billy Big Bollocks, we should be expecting more than just treading water.

Artell may well have been hamstrung by always having to sell his better players and replacing them with lesser quality - never being given the chance to build upon a good crop of youngsters.

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:40:41 »

Artell far from my first choice, but if it's him I'll get behind him and give him a chance (FWIW, Manning is my first choice).

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:48:36 »

The ethos is different, though - or, at least, I hope to God it is. Crewe, as a club, have been run on similar lines as we are now. But their only aim is to survive - and their fans, by and large, have bought into it.

Develop young players to sell on and thereby enabling the club to survive. That’s why their league position ebbs and flows according to the crop of young players they have at any particular time. All very laudable.

But, without trying to sound all Billy Big Bollocks, we should be expecting more than just treading water.

Artell may well have been hamstrung by always having to sell his better players and replacing them with lesser quality - never being given the chance to build upon a good crop of youngsters.

In over 40 years of supporting Swindon that has always been the case here too. We have always had to sell our better player to survive. Same as practically every club from the Championship down.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 09:34:42 »

Being a “selling” club is a reality for (as mentioned Championship) down. The glaring elephant in the corner is whether we move up, down or stay where we are given a period of time. So using the business analogy of a five year plan that should give you a yardstick to measure where we are, where we were and the ownerships intentions.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:18:19 »

Artell looks like a huge upgrade on paper. Not an exciting appointment but an eminently sensible one - like Danny Wilson after Malpas.

Everyone not owned by an oil state is a selling club, don't kid yourself. It's just some clubs (Peterborough) are better at than others.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:28:47 »

Never heard of Artel before but he sounds like he ticks all the right boxes - seems a really good option to me. Give him the job! Please don't faff about. Employ him as a coach for now and upgrade once safe to do so under combo rules. Sorted.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:34:53 »

Artell looks like a huge upgrade on paper. Not an exciting appointment but an eminently sensible one - like Danny Wilson after Malpas.

Everyone not owned by an oil state is a selling club, don't kid yourself. It's just some clubs (Peterborough) are better at than others.
Is there any such thing as an 'exciting' appointment for a club in our position? Not too many were excited by Wellens' appointment but that didn't work out too badly. Some of the comments from when he was appointed would make interesting reading now if I could be bothered to trawl through and find them.

Personally, I don't ask for too much as a fan but to have some hope is a minimum requirement. I've not had that for the last couple of months as we were clearly going nowhere under SL. Town games had become a soul destroying experience.

New Manager (Artell or A N Other) + Austin = Hope (at least for now)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:40:09 »

Never heard of Artel before but he sounds like he ticks all the right boxes - seems a really good option to me. Give him the job! Please don't faff about. Employ him as a coach for now and upgrade once safe to do so under combo rules. Sorted.

He was manager of Crewe when both sides got promoted when Wellens was in charge. When the league was stopped, Crewe were top but our game in hand meant that we won the league on PPG. Artell won the LMA league 2 manager of the year award.

He's been out of football since leaving Crewe but appears to be hungry now to get back into football. We could definitely do a lot worse I reckon.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:41:59 »

Its really good to read positive comments
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:48:42 »

as others have said crew and swindon are similar in some ways - shirt colour, railways, size, being in the lower leagues for many years, type of football played and selling players to balance the books.  

I don't know who else might be available and I don't know enough about artell to suggest he could not do a good job.

Crewe compaired to Swindon fanbase/size and potential are miles apart, population of approximately 76,000 and lucky to get crowds of 4,000 v a population of 225,000 averaging around 9,000 and could easily get 11,000, 12,000+ if promotion was a reality. Granted we've both been around the lower leagues for years play in red and we share the same Railway heritage but based on potential and what we could do on & off the pitch there is no comparison.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:51:09 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:50:44 »

Artell seems sensible. Its not exciting but then very few appointments are in the lower leagues.

Just don't be boring and start stringing together positive results. Please.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 10:51:48 »

Crewe compaired to Swindon fanbase/size and potential are miles apart, population of approximately 76,000 and lucky to get crowds of 4,000 v a population of 225,000 averaging around 9,000 and could easily get 11,000, 12,000+ if promotion was a reality. Granted we've both been and around the lower leagues for years play in red and we share the same Railway heritage but based on potential and what we could do on & off the pitch there is no comparison.

Yeah I didn't want to get all 'we're massive' but fuck off are we the same size as Crewe. What, because we sell players? So does everyone.

Crewe has a much lower ceiling than Swindon.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: