Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 28346 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #300 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:25:43 »

How many times have fans been overwhelmed 3 maybe,  Macari, Ardilles & Hoddle and 4 at a push with Roy Evans. Not sure about McMahon, Todd & Wise.
I personally would include MaMahon and Wise 100%, Todd far less so.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:33:00 »

Di Canio was an exciting appointment too.

I'd be happy with Artell, he lasted 5 years at Crewe and said he basically burnt himself out by not delegating enough and has learnt from that.   A massive upgrade on Lyndsey.
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:34:10 »

Debating which league 2 club is 'bigger' than the other is a bit, dare I say, tinpot but that's just my take on that. I haven't looked this up but I think that they may have been in the second tier in relatively recent history.

On the face of it, that would appear to be a decent appointment. A few forum comments on a manager's skills and attributes should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

The Crewe side from the COVID affected season included some very good players and it is almost inevitable that they would have taken title.  The manager has to take some credit for their success.

They spent eight seasons in the second tier. That was all down to Dario Gradi, without whom they'd never have risen so high. Fourth tier is their natural level.

Swindon Town is a bigger club than Crewe Alexandra. That's nothing against them but Crewe is only about one-third the size of Swindon. It also has Liverpool and Manchester not too far away and I'd imagine, like many other places, has more supporters of the reds from both cities than fans of Alexandra.

I've never been to Swindon but unless I'm mistaken you have the added advantage of not having any "big clubs" near you. There's potential (I understand many are sick of hearing it) at Swindon Town. With the right management I can see you back in the second -tier within a few years.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:36:33 by ROKERITE » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #303 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:34:47 »

Thats what started this.

Absolutely this, Pdc was our last truly "exciting appointment" and we were in L2,

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:35:28 »

I'd be happy with Artell, he lasted 5 years at Crewe and said he basically burnt himself out by not delegating enough and has learnt from that.   A massive upgrade on Lyndsey.

I did forget Di Canio and would say at the time he created a lot of excitement amongst the fans.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #305 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:37:17 »

I've never been to Swindon but unless I'm mistaken you have the added advantage of not having any "big clubs" near you.
Have you not heard of the massive Oxford United? Cheesy

The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:50:20 »

Have you not heard of the massive Oxford United? Cheesy

Swindon itself is surrounded by other towns of notable size that don’t have league clubs and therefore have floating fans. We don’t get so many fans from Newbury these days as they would more likely travel to Reading. Likewise floating fans in Chippenham more than likely go to Bristol City. On a personal note one of my friends who was a regular for most games at The County Ground with his wife all through the 90’s and early 2000’s ended up becoming season ticket holders at Southampton when they moved from The Dell. It works both ways of course, our single year in The Premier League had a detrimental effect on attendance at Bristol City.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:52:45 »

It seems that London is the biggest draw
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 12:56:39 »

It seems that London is the biggest draw

A lot of London overspill here too, quite easy to jump on a train to Paddington from Swindon to see Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or West Ham.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:06:26 »

Quote from: Steak supper
 Its almost like supporters all day the same thing about their own club

Didn't make them wrong though. At least at that particular time what they say is fair.

That's no indication of past or future performance though.

We haven't got time to fanny around on appointing someone, but equally we haven't got cash and resources to cock it up by rushing.

what's the chance of getting him on a short term or rolling contract
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:09:18 »

Did anyone say we were the same size club as Crewe or are you trying to start an argument with yourself?
Fuck off is he  Wink
DMC

« Reply #311 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:18:49 »

Artell seems sensible. Its not exciting but then very few appointments are in the lower leagues.

Just don't be boring and start stringing together positive results. Please.
Spot on, not quite sure what people expect. Looking at the managers available none of them scream much better than the others anyway Beers
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:26:04 »

Am I the only one that is wondering where this Duncan Ferguson shit is coming from? The bloke was a lunatic as a player and has been retired the best part of two decades and done bugger all.

Has baffled me.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:35:24 »

Didn't make them wrong though. At least at that particular time what they say is fair.

That's no indication of past or future performance though.

We haven't got time to fanny around on appointing someone, but equally we haven't got cash and resources to cock it up by rushing.

what's the chance of getting him on a short term or rolling contract

It may be more accurate to say supporters who use forums say the same things about their club- they may be a certain demographic who share the same views and outlooks etc
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 13:37:59 »

Steak Supper alluded to that and others were already arguing against it before I commented.

Are you following the conversation?

I had no problem with my post. I suppose it depend on how you measure size  Girl Giggle
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: