Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346252 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 09:03:23 »

If we are going to try to hang onto our young players then we’ve also got to have the balls to play them.

Minturn a good example. Could have easily started a good 10-15 league games for us last season based on injuries and others defenders form.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 09:25:14 »

If we are going to try to hang onto our young players then we’ve also got to have the balls to play them.

Minturn a good example. Could have easily started a good 10-15 league games for us last season based on injuries and others defenders form.

Agreed, but on the flip side of that, the fans have got to be patient with them as well and give them a chance, our fanbase is not the best at that, especially with attacking players.

Twine wouldn't have made it unless he got that move to Newport, and I remember prospect Lloyd Macklin getting pelters at a young age.  Given Flynn was the one to give Twine a go, maybe we have a manager that is brave enough to blood some of these youngsters at the right time, and in the right way.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 09:26:34 »

Agree with that, but there’s always the motions sho get on their backs if they’re not PL standard from the off.

It’s the same for the young players who did play last season, there was no allowance for the fact it was their first taste of men’s football.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:12:50 »

Agreed, but on the flip side of that, the fans have got to be patient with them as well and give them a chance, our fanbase is not the best at that, especially with attacking players.

Twine wouldn't have made it unless he got that move to Newport, and I remember prospect Lloyd Macklin getting pelters at a young age.  Given Flynn was the one to give Twine a go, maybe we have a manager that is brave enough to blood some of these youngsters at the right time, and in the right way.

Concur.

Twine was a number of things though. The change in position and regular game time really helped. In fairness the thoughts on Twine pre Newport loan were mixed between ‘time to release him’ to ‘he’s had a good pre season give him a shot’

I watched a lot of that era of youth / reserve team and the only player I’ve seen better at that age / level for Swindon was Jutkiewicz. Macklin just glided past players for fun. He was dynamite. First touch (or lack of) at the CG ball rolled under his foot and that was his career (and fans having any faith in his ability) done in 3 seconds.

…maybe we should only blood the youngsters away from home!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:14:18 »

Rideout was special from the off.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:20:42 »

Didn't Macklin break his leg and play on or something similar in one of his first couple of appearances? Can't imagine that helped him longer term.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:24:00 »

Didn't Macklin break his leg and play on or something similar in one of his first couple of appearances? Can't imagine that helped him longer term.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/4664911.breaking-news-macklin-suffers-leg-fracture/
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:35:09 »

Funny, I have absolutely no recollection of Macklin whatsoever. And yet the Richard Drydens of this world live long in the memory…
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:37:33 »

I had completely forgotten about Macklin, I assume the leg break wasn't that bad as it was suggested he would only be out for up to 8 weeks?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 11:12:42 »

This comment made me laugh;

"Feel sorry for him and wish him a quick recovery, but for me he has nothing to offer. Yes, he is quick but he can't shoot, can't pass and can't cross. Sorry if you disagree but I don't rate him at all, but am willing for him to prove me wrong !!"

to be fair the guy was probably absolutely bang on the money looking at his career stats! He's still only 31 but retired in 2018.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 11:51:25 »

Given we have never really invested in supporting the first team with the right facilities and backroom staffing, it's not that surprising that our Youth talent has never really been up to much once they hit the first team age and the bigger teams have sniffed around for a few years first.  Jutkiewicz was an import later in his development, through Byrne, wasn't he, along with Tozer?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1511 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 11:56:56 »

Its a lot easier to give attacking youth players minutes than it is defensive. Abu Kanu and Minturn need to be starting in the pizza cup and getting minutes in games where its appropriate though.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 11:57:32 »

Given we have never really invested in supporting the first team with the right facilities and backroom staffing, it's not that surprising that our Youth talent has never really been up to much once they hit the first team age and the bigger teams have sniffed around for a few years first.  Jutkiewicz was an import later in his development, through Byrne, wasn't he, along with Tozer?

Seb Broomfield is the Plymouth striker Byrne brought in along with Tozer and Morrison.

Jutkiewicz did join at about 14 though, he was in Southampton's academy but had a few years off in between us and them.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 12:00:48 »

Looking at Jutkiewicz his career seems a bit odd in that he has had a very solid career at Championship level without ever being a prolific goalscorer, with 15 being his best haul in a single season.

He seems to have been pretty much a regular for Birmingham for the last 7 seasons, yet as a striker in those seasons he has only hit double figures 3 times. I assume they play him as a no.10 or similar?

Also he is 34, that makes me feel very ancient!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 12:06:10 by horlock07 » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1514 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 12:01:31 »

Right, I remembered us being a bit of a Cuckoo at Youth level for a few years - which is probably not a bad approach if you are not going to spend a fortune like Crewe do in going for Elite level ranking.  In fact, it may be a better version of the model we were going for.  Rather than risk the first team by going after lots of jilted or underused 18-21 year olds, why not put that effort in at the 14-18 year old level instead.  Build a half decent Academy facility somewhere and smooth the rough diamonds a few years earlier away from the first team squad.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: