Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 201   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 354516 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 17:43:51 »

Do we know how Brewitt/McEachran’s options might work?

It sounds like certainly Brewitt got an automatic year if he played over X number of games (probably 10).
On that basis he is presumably here next year as I get the impression he wants to stay.
McEachran might want to assess his options but presumably it’s a similar situation?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 17:46:59 »

I would imagine so
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 09:52:57 »

I think Dabre and Parsons are and Roberts isn't, but his contract length was never actually announced. Aguiar and Cain with two more years each in particular look like they'd struggle with the style.

Didn't Cain play under Flynn at Newport whilst ''on loan''.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:00:34 »

Yes
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:07:03 »

Twine did OK under Flynn at Newport, I think Flynn is more flexible towards playing to conditions and players abilities rather than just in a set way than people are giving him credit for.

Wasn't the style at Newport in the main down to it being played on a ploughed field?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:22:01 »

Quite possibly, although Walsall's football was hardly scintillating. Let's see how it goes I suppose - I suspect there's probably one spot in midfield for a Cain/McEachran alongside some more physical players, which would still leave us overstocked for the fancier midfielder even if Williams goes - Cain, McEachran, Darcy, Aguiar feels like at least one too many, maybe two.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:31:00 »

Quite possibly, although Walsall's football was hardly scintillating. Let's see how it goes I suppose - I suspect there's probably one spot in midfield for a Cain/McEachran alongside some more physical players, which would still leave us overstocked for the fancier midfielder even if Williams goes - Cain, McEachran, Darcy, Aguiar feels like at least one too many, maybe two.

I expect a lot to get shipped out, even if under contract honestly.

We dont have enough room to make the changes we need to, just by releasing out of contract players.

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:42:52 »

Are the players on their holidays now or do you think Flynn will get some time to train with the squad?
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:54:06 »

Are the players on their holidays now or do you think Flynn will get some time to train with the squad?

Think they are done. He did say he'd be meeting with some this week though I think...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:56:32 »

Think they are done. He did say he'd be meeting with some this week though I think...

I assume he will, at the very least, sit in on retained/released/offer new discussions.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 10:58:33 »

I assume he will, at the very least, sit in on retained/released/offer new discussions.

I saw Brewitt posted an airplane emoji but maybe if he has triggered an extension he doesn't need to stick around to plead his case.
DMC

« Reply #1466 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 13:09:27 »

I would happily see Brewitt leave to be honest.

As with every bad season we have there is a huge case of best of a bad bunch syndrome and he was no better than average for me and if we want out the league we need much better
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2023, 13:11:04 »

I would happily see Brewitt leave to be honest.

As with every bad season we have there is a huge case of best of a bad bunch syndrome and he was no better than average for me and if we want out the league we need much better

I think its been done to death but not sure anyone is suggesting he should be our starting centre back. I think he's shown more than enough to be a L2 squad player. Looked decent yesterday. Seems to be popular in the squad.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: Thursday, May 11, 2023, 13:41:17 »

Possibly don’t have the right thread for this but I was thinking about the “we have the limbs but not the spine” shouts and trying to work out what we’ll need starting XI wise for next season. I think if we want to say that we have the limbs then we’re assuming that those limbs are promotion potential quality in the right team. Assuming Flynn is going to play a 3-5-2 (not nailed on), we extend Austin/McEachran/RHM and that Williams/Hutton depart then I think we’re something like this:

GK
             CB       CB    Clayton
Lavinier                                FBT
                        CM  
         McEachran       Khan

Austin  Wakeling/RHM

Needing at least a new GK, 2 x CB’s, a CM and probably a ST. All of starting XI quality, not work in progress players and a decent amount of them needing to be experienced, physical players. I may also be being a bit generous with calling a couple of those promotion quality limbs.

Then think:
Decent squad options: Cain, Brewitt, Minturn, Iandolo
Ship out: Harries, Shade, Darcy, Adeloye, Parsons, Massey, Cowmeadow, (question marks on a few of them but haven’t shown enough imo)
Needs a loan: Aguiar (think there’s a player in there), Roberts

If FBT is seen more as a CB than a LB/LWB then I’d be tempted to make Tomlinson’s loan permanent if it’s realistic budget wise.

Hope there’s room in the budget for whatever changes Flynn thinks are needed. Would be a shame if we couldn’t kick on because the budget is taken up with players he doesn’t want but we can’t shift.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 11, 2023, 13:50:42 by UTR » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: Thursday, May 11, 2023, 13:43:54 »

In a three at the back system, I think FBT should be of the three - he's the Kyle Walker type player that allows you to play three defenders but not just sacrifice all footballing ability back there.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 201   Go Up
Print
Jump to: