Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346055 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 17:24:18 »

Swindon Town midfielder Jonny Williams has officially announced his international retirement, calling time on his journey with the Welsh national team.

The 29-year-old made 33 appearances and scored twice for @Cymru.
I'm not generally in favour of players "retiring from international football". Should be the manager's choice in my opinion.
However I don't blame him,after scoring against Poland he never got a kick in the next 9 games

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 17:32:00 »

yeah. given Wales were a bag of shit in the wc, not getting 5 minutes was pretty poor
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 17:38:14 »

Obv. Why he’s doing it he wants to move to better club/higher paid. Most clubs higher up would look at the amount of time he is off on international duty. At 29 it’ll be his last big contract.
DMC

« Reply #1128 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 17:39:31 »

No huge loss Bob if recent performances are what we have to go on
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 17:55:05 »

Thanks for the World Cup cash Joniesta.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 18:02:18 »

Now this season seems to be petering out I’ve been looking ahead to next and wondering what sort of players we need to recruit and how many.

Departures (my guesses) - Iandolo, Hutton, Williams, Austin, Adeloye, Jephcott, Harries, Baudry plus fringe players/punts, Dabre, Parsons, Aguiar(?). Obviously Brynn.

Are 5 CBs enough - we’ll have FBT, Clayton, Minturn, hopefully Brewitt and I suppose that Spurs kid will eventually turn up.

We’d have 2 v.good WBs in Tomlinson and Lavinier - will Devine ever stay fit enough. Not sure what position Shade is seen in.

Midfield would be sparse - Khan, hopefully McCreachan, Darcy, Cain

Up front RHM, Wakeling

So that equates to 11 departures from squad of 32 = 21. How big a squad would Morris want? 26, 27, 28?

Not exactly the usual squad churn.

No doubt I’ve forgotten someone.
I would be pleasantly surprised to see Lavinier, McEachran and Brewitt (if he plays like yesterday all of the time) here next year. But, I think others might offer them more money and potentially L1 footie.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 18:05:01 »

Thanks for the World Cup cash Joniesta.
Yes Without doubt, his most valuable contribution to the Club this season...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 18:32:05 »

I would be pleasantly surprised to see Lavinier, McEachran and Brewitt (if he plays like yesterday all of the time) here next year. But, I think others might offer them more money and potentially L1 footie.

We have an option on McEachran and I would assume Brewitt would be a similar deal.

Isn't Lavinier contracted for next year as well?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 21:15:54 »

It's never been confirmed publicly how long Lavinier's contract is, it's only him and Roberts from the current squad we don't know as far as I remember.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 22:12:22 »

Roberts is 2 years im pretty sure
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 22:13:56 »

Thought Lavinier was until the end of the season.

Didn’t know what ‘options’ the club hold on the others.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1136 on: Monday, March 13, 2023, 13:45:57 »

And here in lies the problem with the squad building done thus far - we have 5 full backs in the squad currently injured/returning from injury with patchy records of availability at least this season, but in some cases further back.  How many of those do you take into next season squad, regardless of potential talent?  Surely you do not want 6 full backs on your books (adding Hutton) with only one being injury free for the past year.

Same goes for centre back.

You have to think that a professional squad build would need to see half of those players off the books by the start of next season, with money diverted into more reliable parts.  Wellens took a similar gamble, but to a far lesser degree - he at least managed to get more J Williams types, players with bad injury records from a higher division with experience.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: Monday, March 13, 2023, 13:49:30 »

I for one am done with gambling on people with injury records. I'd rather have the 75% solution fit and ready 100% of the time.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1138 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 14:16:32 »

Williams always used to credit the club's medical team & physio's etc with keeping him fit and managing him so he could play consistently, you wonder if that team still exists or if it has broken up over time or changed, with all our injuries could anyone have been managed better.

Just thinking out loud.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 14:24:52 »

Williams always used to credit the club's medical team & physio's etc with keeping him fit and managing him so he could play consistently, you wonder if that team still exists or if it has broken up over time or changed, with all our injuries could anyone have been managed better.

Just thinking out loud.

Williams specifically has played 2148 minutes this season already, only 250 under what he played all of last season, and those are his top two seasons of his career by miles - only once before us had he managed even 1000 mins in a club season.

Whatever we've done has definitely worked for him, even if it seems to have not worked for a few others.

(Data from https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106185/History/Jonny-Williams)
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: