Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346041 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 08:10:48 »

If on paper player for player we're not as good as last season then our results and league position are correct.

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 08:41:36 »

We've not seen all the new guys play yet so think it's too early to judge.   We certainly look weaker up top but that's inevitable when you lose 90% of your goals from the previous season.

Our performances on the whole have been poor.  We look very easy to play against, create little and give the ball away in our own half far too often.   Our league position reflects that and is roughly where I think we'll end up with the current management team. 
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 08:49:17 »

If on paper player for player we're not as good as last season then our results and league position are correct.

Our first 11 is way weaker than last season.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 10:52:21 »

Our first 11 is way weaker than last season.
Yup. A bit of bullshit bongo here but we’ve done the opposite to last season and gone for quantity over quality. As the say, sometimes less is more.
DMC

« Reply #439 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 11:55:41 »

Yup. A bit of bullshit bongo here but we’ve done the opposite to last season and gone for quantity over quality. As the say, sometimes less is more.

I really don't think our starting 11 is horrific and to be fair like everyone has pointed out, a better manager wins the last 2 games and ironically would be on more points than this stage last year.

I think a more tactically aware manager gets more out of this team. I stupidly rewatched the game this morning as thought i was being harsh but i am even more confused. Genuinly feel sorry for Shade and the new right back yesterday
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 12:08:54 »

There is enough talent in this group to be challenging at the top end against the level of opposition in this league, there is no point in comparing them to last seasons group, that was last season playing against teams with their own different group of players.

What we are missing this season is a plan, structure, identity, whatever buzz word you want to use..  as much as Garner had his critics last year, one thing you can't accuse him of is not having a clear plan of how we would play against teams and not doing his homework on the opposition - whether you agreed with that plan or not is neither here or there, he was methodical in how he approached each game.

Our management team knows what they have to play with, they have a huge squad compared to last season so they should be able to come up with a number of team selections and formations that should be capable of beating the opposition depending on how they setup and play.  Last year we had the mechanic with not enough tools, this year we have lots of "tools" (don't be mean) and no mechanic, or at least not a mechanic that has shown that he knows how to use them to get the best out them.

A decent manager would know how to get the best out of the players we have, play to their strengths, utilise them in the best way.

Our GK is not a problem - maybe that is because of GK coach has not changed?

Our central defenders are being criticised for not being good footballers, whereas everyone was moaning last year about Conroy in the defence because he was a footballer - which one do we want?

Our full backs - everyone was criticising Rob Hunt last year for not being able to push forward, now we are saying FBT is Rob Hunt and is adequate - what do we want?  The new lad looked decent for his forst game in mens football yesterday, so I think he will turn out good.

Reed is dogshit and a stat paddler, but as RobT pointed out well, we are not playing to his strenghts and not utilising him in the right way at all - is that the players fault or the management?

Wingers/widemen - are players that are not used to being payed in that position, but are being played there to shoehorn people into the team or fill a gap - Is Williams and atacking wide player?  most people have agreed not..  Shade has been played in about 6 different positions (probably 4 different positions yesterday) how do we expect him to excel?

Stikers - Wakeling is not a striker, yet has been asked to play up front on hos own - 5' 8" and 9 stone when wringing wet, and his first season in mens football - work rate is great but he is not a striker.  Wakeling is an upgrade on Barry and should be played in the postion that Barry played.  The other strikers have just walked through the door so would be unfair to include - but reputation says that that at least Jephcott should be what we need.

That was just a longwinded way of saying - a decent management team should be able to find a way of being successfull with the toolbox that has been brought together - there is enough there to at least be in around the top end of the table.  If Lindsey isn't it, then the longer we persist with hoping that he comes good is wasting time and reducing our chances of being at the top end of the table by the end of the season.  Game by game we are reducing our chances of being successful this season.  I wanted to give him time and had significant fears on his appointment.  Yesterday took me from "well, we might come good in time" to "i have seen enough to feel that this won't come good in time".

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 12:19:09 »

Based on first impressions, not writing players off and think they can improve blah blah blah before anyone gets too annoyed.

Not your fist rodeo at not being overwhelmingly positive where it isn't warranted, it seems.
DMC

« Reply #442 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 12:34:15 »

Not your fist rodeo at not being overwhelmingly positive where it isn't warranted, it seems.
There is literally no one having a go at him for it either? You are having a dig at nobody
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 13:08:16 »

There is enough talent in this group to be challenging at the top end against the level of opposition in this league, there is no point in comparing them to last seasons group, that was last season playing against teams with their own different group of players.

What we are missing this season is a plan, structure, identity, whatever buzz word you want to use..  as much as Garner had his critics last year, one thing you can't accuse him of is not having a clear plan of how we would play against teams and not doing his homework on the opposition - whether you agreed with that plan or not is neither here or there, he was methodical in how he approached each game.

Our management team knows what they have to play with, they have a huge squad compared to last season so they should be able to come up with a number of team selections and formations that should be capable of beating the opposition depending on how they setup and play.  Last year we had the mechanic with not enough tools, this year we have lots of "tools" (don't be mean) and no mechanic, or at least not a mechanic that has shown that he knows how to use them to get the best out them.

A decent manager would know how to get the best out of the players we have, play to their strengths, utilise them in the best way.

Our GK is not a problem - maybe that is because of GK coach has not changed?

Our central defenders are being criticised for not being good footballers, whereas everyone was moaning last year about Conroy in the defence because he was a footballer - which one do we want?

Our full backs - everyone was criticising Rob Hunt last year for not being able to push forward, now we are saying FBT is Rob Hunt and is adequate - what do we want?  The new lad looked decent for his forst game in mens football yesterday, so I think he will turn out good.

Reed is dogshit and a stat paddler, but as RobT pointed out well, we are not playing to his strenghts and not utilising him in the right way at all - is that the players fault or the management?

Wingers/widemen - are players that are not used to being payed in that position, but are being played there to shoehorn people into the team or fill a gap - Is Williams and atacking wide player?  most people have agreed not..  Shade has been played in about 6 different positions (probably 4 different positions yesterday) how do we expect him to excel?

Stikers - Wakeling is not a striker, yet has been asked to play up front on hos own - 5' 8" and 9 stone when wringing wet, and his first season in mens football - work rate is great but he is not a striker.  Wakeling is an upgrade on Barry and should be played in the postion that Barry played.  The other strikers have just walked through the door so would be unfair to include - but reputation says that that at least Jephcott should be what we need.

That was just a longwinded way of saying - a decent management team should be able to find a way of being successfull with the toolbox that has been brought together - there is enough there to at least be in around the top end of the table.  If Lindsey isn't it, then the longer we persist with hoping that he comes good is wasting time and reducing our chances of being at the top end of the table by the end of the season.  Game by game we are reducing our chances of being successful this season.  I wanted to give him time and had significant fears on his appointment.  Yesterday took me from "well, we might come good in time" to "i have seen enough to feel that this won't come good in time".

Decent post that and imagine most would agree with your summary.

As posted earlier I think the quality of league 2 is down on last season so when you look at Gladwin, Reed, Williams & McDonald those players are as good as anything in the league.      
                                                                                                                                                                              Where the problem lies we've got a right old mis-match of new signings (some good, others too early to tell) where the manager doesn't seem to have the motivation skills & nous to get the best of them which is off setting the balance of the team and as with most number 2 coaches who try and step up it very rarely works and looking at his body language in his post match interview it's hard to see that he is the right man for the job.

A decent guy maybe and probably everybody's favourite behind the scenes but debatable if he has what it takes to be the manger of a league 2 club where the expectations are high with the supporters.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 13:14:27 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:07:46 »

Decent post that and imagine most would agree with your summary.

As posted earlier I think the quality of league 2 is down on last season so when you look at Gladwin, Reed, Williams & McDonald those players are as good as anything in the league.      
                                                                                                                                                                              Where the problem lies we've got a right old mis-match of new signings.

Which of the new signings has impressed you the most Jimmy?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:29:18 »

Hutton has a wicked cross on him, as seen second half v Salford.

What's his actual preferred  position
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:34:45 »

He said RW in his pre match interview

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:42:51 »

ah, ok. ta.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:43:23 »

What's his actual preferred  position

Unfortunately that has been his only attribute so far but I do agree with you. It will be interesting to see if Hutton gets much game time or he's just going to warm the bench for Lavinier. With 5 subs you can potentially switch them about as and when. Although SL only seems to want to use 2 changes on average (I've not checked that, just taken from yesterday's game really)
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:48:03 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 14:45:21 »

He does, I'm a bit surprised he didn't come on yesterday, if only for his long throws as a different option.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: