Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 345706 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:35:16 »

Where do you think Barrow and Walsall, for example, recruited from? You’d think that all the present top sides have all recruited from the cream of available players. They haven’t though. We’ve paid for players, handed out 2 year contracts and kept loans to a minimum.

The finger points at organisation, tactics and coaching. The 3 things we are so obviously shit at.

No way can you tell me this squad isn’t good enough for a top 7 finish.

I really hope you are right but my confidence is wearing thin.
The next two home games pivotal in so many ways. At what point will the Club pull the trigger on Lindsey, that’s if they actually would do?

What we would give for 2 back to back wins right now for everyone.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:37:46 »

it surprises me when things like this are said confidently by the average fan. How the hell can any one say that.

have we all scouted the squads for each team in the league

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:46:41 »

Where do you think Barrow and Walsall, for example, recruited from? You’d think that all the present top sides have all recruited from the cream of available players. They haven’t though. We’ve paid for players, handed out 2 year contracts and kept loans to a minimum.

The finger points at organisation, tactics and coaching. The 3 things we are so obviously shit at.

Right now I'd say the edge of the play offs is the upper ceiling for this squad, as they stand today.  I think Lindsey isn't a million miles off the points we should have, but he's done it in a weird way.  We were lucky to get a few of them, then he should  have got more from two games where even a shit squad should see the games out to wins.  A better Manager has 4 more points from Stockport and Gillingham, but could just as easily lost against Carlisle, Salford & Leyton Orient despite their tactical nouse.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:56:06 »

Don’t think Lindsey knows his best team/formation.

He keeps tinkering with that to try and find it (fine understandable) but because of this, it seems everyone else has lost sight of everything else like the style of play, the tempo of play, tactics, subs, set pieces.

Garner went through a few teething problems with regards to best XI and formation but already had the other things nailed down - probably before he even rocked up at Town.

We’ll either carry on clueless till Lindsey go - or we’ll settle a bit, win a few games and start moving forward. Whether that will be far enough forward for the fans I don’t know.

Still a lot of unknowns player wise.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 20:09:15 »

It's just very Sheridan like.   Move players around until you find something that works.   
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 20:27:47 »

We can debate the comparative qualities of this year's and last year's squads.

An obvious point, probably already made, is that we are far, far less dependent on loans this year. 

Tyreece and KKHs departures and the problems with their replacements (delay, injuries) - alongside Reed's suspension, Wollacott's internationals & Payne's injury - all combined to arguably cost us an automatic last year.

Brynn is about the only concern and, as has indeed been pointed out, it is usually possible to find an on loan keeper of competence.  Nor is there usually the same extent of a replacement having to gel with a playing style even if Ward's footballing skills didn't quite fit.
DMC

« Reply #471 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:20:11 »

We can debate the comparative qualities of this year's and last year's squads.

An obvious point, probably already made, is that we are far, far less dependent on loans this year. 

Tyreece and KKHs departures and the problems with their replacements (delay, injuries) - alongside Reed's suspension, Wollacott's internationals & Payne's injury - all combined to arguably cost us an automatic last year.

Brynn is about the only concern and, as has indeed been pointed out, it is usually possible to find an on loan keeper of competence.  Nor is there usually the same extent of a replacement having to gel with a playing style even if Ward's footballing skills didn't quite fit.
Totally agree, there is a hell of a lot of hindsight being used here. Some of our best performers last season were the exact type of player we have recruited this summer. I still absolutely believe a competent manager has us at least 4 points better of this season. As for saying signing players from the likes of Walsall etc will not get us anywhere that is laughable, our so called better players are not even getting any games this season
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 15:59:06 »

We’ve just sold a player for 250k who before joining us couldn’t get a Carlisle or Port Vale ffs.

One we signed because we had to take who we could get on short notice, not because of anything data driven or scientifical.

More luck than judgement.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 16:05:52 »

One we signed because we had to take who we could get on short notice, not because of anything data driven or scientifical.

More luck than judgement.

Anything wrong with a bit of luck? Even uber successful teams need a bit of luck.
DMC

« Reply #474 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 16:08:13 »

Nah everything has to be perfect at Swindon or uproar.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 16:18:53 »

Where is everyone getting this "250,000" info from?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 16:30:07 »

Where is everyone getting this "250,000" info from?

Wild guess.
DMC

« Reply #477 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 20:35:51 »

Interestingly i had a look at players who left and it won't be a shock to anyone to see that Akin, Conroy and also Egbo due to injuries have started a combined 3 games all season between them. Jack Payne has not started a league game yet. The first 3 would be a rough combined 10k a month we would have taken a punt on  Eek Ryan East has played more games than them all
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 20:39:50 »

Interestingly i had a look at players who left and it won't be a shock to anyone to see that Akin, Conroy and also Egbo due to injuries have started a combined 3 games all season between them. Jack Payne has not started a league game yet. The first 3 would be a rough combined 10k a month we would have taken a punt on  Eek Ryan East has played more games than them all

And up until the lad from Spurs signed, all four would have walked back into our best starting XI based on this season so far.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 21:00:41 »

Payne sat out most of pre season so imagine he might be a few weeks behind, so can kinda understand him not being involved as much…

…whether that will continue or not I dunno
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: