Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 345693 times)
kaufman

« Reply #345 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 06:28:33 »

Interesting that SL sees Clayton as a centreback.
Just needs more muscle and that’s what the S&C are working on.
He also believes Reed is the tough tackling all rounder holding midfielder when someone suggested Kahn could be that.
The defence makes more sense to me now.
I thought the BBC phone in was one of the better ones for a while.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 29, 2022, 06:30:59 by kaufman » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 06:34:06 »

yeah it wasn't bad.

SL also acknowledged we are short of a striker, and while we are working on it we've not approached one yet
china red

« Reply #347 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 07:44:12 »

He comes across really well, describes them as strikers rather than buying another ‘forward’ player.  Hope he does well and it’s not a huge car crash
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 08:03:00 »

yeah, I don't see why anyone would go into the season wishing anything but that

we just don't know
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 08:36:20 »

Lindsey interview:

Harrogate:
- Iandalo wont travel to Harrogate - Had a negative response to training. Has a quad injury. Not the same injury as at PV last season.
- Known Iandolo since youth team coaching. Spotted him at a young age and was responsible for getting him a contract
- See him as athletic and versatile. Can play him in different positions
- Devine got through training so will be involved
- Will train locally, then travel, do a stretching session before eating
- Decided upon his team earlier this week. Keeper has been the hardest decision to make. But, this doesn't mean that the person picked is number 1 and the other is number 2. There are two number 1s and they need to fight for the jersey

Striker:
- Tyreece Simpson: Thought he was outstanding for us. Ipswich put a big price tag on him and want to loan him to a L1 club. Would love to have him back, but don't think it would happen. Things might change late in the window if Ipswich can't sort something out.
- We need another striker in. We have earmarked some, but haven't made an approach

Squad:
- We have assembled more depth in the squad than last year
- Will need to send some players out on loan to get game time

Combating the Press:
- Like when teams do that as it gives us the opportunity to take several players out of the game
- Won't apologise for playing long balls when that happens
- Happy with players that he has signed
- A lot of due diligence has been done
- Its a really competitive and hard working team that has lots of depth
- The older players (from last year) have welcomed the new people
- Saidou Khan: Watched him at close quarters. Within the first 30 mins of seeing him, Lindsey was really impressed. He reached out to someone he respects who had worked with him, who gave him a glowing reference. Normally Lindsey takes time to reach a decision, but made a quick one with Khan, as he thinks he is going to be a very good player for Swindon
- Thinks that we have enough experience in the squad and thinks we have enough to be challenging near the top. Its going to be a strong league, but we are going to be very competitive.
- Will start to look to tie down players who are in last year of contract
- Wakeling: Very aggressive Has a hammer left foot. Will score goals from nowhere. Can finish
- McKirdy: Likes to play wide, link play, score at front post
- Adeloye: Physicality, link play, run in behind and win headers. Should do well as (data wise) Ayr are playing at the same level as us in L2.
- Massey: Very quick. Finishes well. Want to progress him.
- Clayton: Very pleased to get that one over the line. He will be a top, top centre half. Need to put muscle and weight onto him. Strength and conditioning team have got him to put 2Kg of weight on him already.

Set pieces:
- Have been working on a few things on the training ground. We weren't good last year and only scored 1 goal all season from them
- Not a massive fan of the long throw, but it is another option.

Gladwin & Williams:
- Yes they can play in the same midfield together
- Gladwin was too pedestrian last year. He can drive with the ball and has done that well in pre-season

Aguilar:
- Played in number 8 position. But can play deeper in the Reed position spraying the ball about
- Think he's got a bright future

Papa John:
- Will take it serious as the prize money is good
- But will give an opportunity to give other players game time.

Management Style?
- Like to be honest with the players. Will tell players why they have been left out
- Hope that breads respect from the players. Remembers Tony Pullis doing the same to him, which motivated him as a player
- Discipline: We have a good Captain and Vice Captain plus Baudry. They will help provide discipline in the squad.

Youth:
- Parsons: Had a decent preseason. There are players in front of him. He is one that might need to go out on loan
- Doesn't want a team of journeymen. Wants young players to come in and grab their shirt

Loans:
- Brynn: Been at Boro. Good keeper. Good with his feet. Made more saves than Ward in preseason. Will get some game time for sure
- Brennan: Strong as an ox and hard as nails. Added aggression in the back line
- We have a lot of good people working behind the scenes. We are building relationships all the time

Sandro Relationship:
- Nice guy and good to work with
- Wants to make sure everything is done right. He is very methodical. Lindsey has been impressed with him

Open training session Monday 1100:
- Recovery session next week
- Passing attacks past mannequins. No contact
- Pictures and autographs after the session
- Want to build relationship with the supporters and fanbase

Harrogate:
- Defensive structure, but counter attack quickly

Lindsey as a person:
- Father played with Keegan and Clements at Scunthorpe
- Uncle played for Scunthorpe too
- Favourite player Kenny Dalglish
- Hardest opponent: Cowley brothers. Never beat them
- Father biggest influence in career
- If not in football, he would be a landlord in a pub
- Hobbies: Paddle tennis
- Car: Just bought a Jaguar
- Fav TV: Only Fools and Horses
- Fav food: Chinese food

Holding Midfielder:
- Louis Reed is one. Can't play in a 2 man pivot.
- Saidou Khan is more of a number 8 driving forward. Strong boy who will make tackles

Recruitment:
- Data: Lots of things that are thrown into an algorithm. This will throw up names. They will then be scouted and watch. Finally checked for character
- Chorley did well for us last year but has moved on
- Lindsey has the final say. He will look at the player and make the final decision. If he doesn't fancy them they are scrubbed from the list

Fitness Work:
- Strength & conditioning team are first class
- We have 25 players with only 1 niggle.
- Have to be clear with players. They have clarity and all the players know their jobs
- Talked about 4 stages of play.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 08:39:50 »

- Car: Just bought a Jaguar

And people think he was the cheap option!  Cheesy
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 08:58:54 »

And people think he was the cheap option!  Cheesy
That's what I thought!

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 09:17:01 »

Gladwin on the other hand will be driving with the ball.

Let's hope so.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 10:21:48 »

Thanks NMH for the write up. Much appreciated.

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 11:15:33 »

Does it sound as if Lindsey is waiting for the possibility of Simpson or will go for someone else in the meantime?

Be a kick in the nuts if becomes available for us and we’ve already signed someone.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 11:40:44 »

Does it sound as if Lindsey is waiting for the possibility of Simpson or will go for someone else in the meantime?

Be a kick in the nuts if becomes available for us and we’ve already signed someone.

Will also be a kick in the nuts if we hold out for him and end up with a similar situation to last year

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 16:24:19 »

I don't think you can wait. it's too risky.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 16:45:41 »

In the interviews I have listened to with Sandro and Lindsey, they have both said the same:

- Simpson is the type of player that they would like to sign and improve. Ipswich have put an overinflated price tag on him - We can't afford it.

- Ipswich have also said that they would like to loan him to a L1 club to further his development/value. So, we don't have that option.

HOWEVER:
- Lindsey said that things might change at the end of the window. If Ipswich couldn't sell him for that price or if they couldn't loan him to a L1 club then we *might* be able to do business.

- Sandro said that we were primarily looking for a number 10, but if a number 9 became available at the end of the window we would take one too.

kaufman

« Reply #358 on: Friday, July 29, 2022, 17:52:43 »

I was half expecting the new coach to be announced today following what SL said last night.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Saturday, July 30, 2022, 09:11:18 »

Great write up NMH, cheers.

All bodes well for upcoming season, looking forward to Khan and Gladwin playing together, have a feeling they could be pretty excellent as a pairing.

Nice to hear they're looking to tie down those last year of contract players too, reading between the lines that means McKirdy to me.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: