Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25123 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:50:16 »

I think Barry was another to benefit from the change in formation. I feared that he was Gilbert V2 based in his sub appearances. Yesterday he showed much more than that.

As others have said, it's one game and against opposition at the wrong end of the table and we shouldn't get carried away. But, given what we have been served at home this season, this was a welcome change. Let's build on it over the next few games.

I think the major take away from yesterday is not the performance & result relative to the opposition but the fact Garner changed and adapted the formation and style to accommodate the players available.

The last few weeks that’s what most people have been (rightly) asking for.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #331 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 10:08:55 »

I think the major take away from yesterday is not the performance & result relative to the opposition but the fact Garner changed and adapted the formation and style to accommodate the players available.

The last few weeks that’s what most people have been (rightly) asking for.
Absolutely agree with that.

Some thoughts of Scunny fans.

Was at the game and it was just complete men against boys. We actually had a couple of half decent chances to go 1 up but to a man Swindon were better than us in every department on the pitch (can see why Grant didn’t get in their team, lost count the number of times he got caught in possession or gave the ball away).

I thought we looked really good until Matheson’s stupid mistake and the deflected goal. Best we’ve looked going forward by some distance, we actually looked threatening but you can’t legislate for a mistake like that.

I know it was a 3-0 score line but it wasn’t really a 3-0 type game. I think the unfit players looked fitter and we looked much better going forward but we’ve got to cut out these mistakes and not play Matheson again.

we looked slow n no cutting edge , their second goal was straight out the book of Irish jokes by Rick Oshay a huge fluke and very unlucky for us, the penalty was no way a pen..Manny got the ball.

Swindon looked faster n sharper and had acres of space and a man over constantly.

Clear penalty as far as I was concerned.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 11:01:31 »

The foul on Barry was the one given for the pen. If that wasn’t, the follow-up foul was a pen as well.

Surprised Davison took it. I was sure Tomlinson would step up. Presume these things are decided pre match.

We still give way too much space away in the midfield where the opposition have time as well to work out their options.

I’m not too bothered about results from here in - it’s the style I want working on for next season. Yesterday was a marker, for sure.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 12:18:48 »

The foul on Barry was the one given for the pen. If that wasn’t, the follow-up foul was a pen as well.

Surprised Davison took it. I was sure Tomlinson would step up. Presume these things are decided pre match.

We still give way too much space away in the midfield where the opposition have time as well to work out their options.

I’m not too bothered about results from here in - it’s the style I want working on for next season. Yesterday was a marker, for sure.

I had Tomlinson to score any time at 6/1 and Reed to score any time at 9/1.

So was a bit disappointed Davison took it.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 12:22:25 »

Sundays are a lot better after a win ain’t they 😂

Good to see garner finally change formation, never need to play 7 or 8 defensive players like previous home games gone by, even more so  against the likes of Col U and Scunny.

Back 4 solid enough, we always look ok at the defending part, it’s when them and Wollacott are told to channel their inner Manchester City. Happy to see the back line stay like that, even if it is tough on AK, Conroy Baudry etc

Reed back makes a huge difference, just somebody who can pass and dictate the play in the middle. Think we looked a better side when Gladwin went off.

Barry was poor I thought, hope he comes good though as we’re gonna need him to do so. McKirdy class again, gave their full back absolute hell.

AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 12:53:27 »

Just seen the highlights; that pass from Iandolo was a thing of beauty. Maybe he's found his niche? Sundays feel a lot better after a 3-0 win :-)
REDBUCK

« Reply #336 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 12:56:10 »

Not a big change in style to be honest, still passed it out from the back just a little less often and also went long when in really tight situations.

We still had wide men but the much better fornation for home games means wide men are attackers rather than defenders playing wing back.

I agree we improved when Gladwin went off, midfield seemed to move the ball foward quicker.

We still look open in midfield to the counter, we seem to lose our defensive shape when we're on the attack, even Scunthorpe found it easy to find space with a couple of passes.

Not convinced we play the same formation in away games though.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 13:16:30 »

It's more interesting than bus stations😀

This 100% still waiting for this ‘Swindon Station, Manchester Road my part it it’s demise’ by JBZ and the S. West biker association.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 13:22:38 »

This 100% still waiting for this ‘Swindon Station, Manchester Road my part it it’s demise’ by JBZ and the S. West biker association.

I reckon JBZ has got writers block!

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 13:47:18 »

Again, I am touched to read that interest in my travels through Swindon remains high.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 14:17:10 »

The imperious Iandolo was almost Doughtyesque at times in the 2nd half, but Reed was the glue that held everything together...

The reception for Grant at the end was memorable.
I love those types of moments in football.

It did look as if he was wiping away some moisture from the eyes...

I do like Ian a lot. Not sure if he's quite ready to take on the title of "The Medway Maldini" just yet but his progress is a slow burner and going in the right direction. Good on him.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. Strange, I felt a similar way about Alan Connell too when he went. It seemed he was one of those who was appreciated but also underappreciated at the same time (probs due to rotation via PdC); especially once gone from the club, we often realise what a decent player and guy some players are.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 15:10:49 »

I do like Ian a lot. Not sure if he's quite ready to take on the title of "The Medway Maldini" just yet but his progress is a slow burner and going in the right direction. Good on him.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. Strange, I felt a similar way about Alan Connell too when he went. It seemed he was one of those who was appreciated but also underappreciated at the same time (probs due to rotation via PdC); especially once gone from the club, we often realise what a decent player and guy some players are.
*cough* Michael Smith *cough*

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 16:11:17 »

Again, I am touched to read that interest in my travels through Swindon remains high.

Get on with it then.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 16:56:39 »

Scunthorpe managed their highest number of shots on target (7) in over a year.

Whilst we won, we still gifted them 2 or 3 really good opportunities. A mid table side would've probably punished us and the result could've been different.

Happy to get 3 points, but certainly didn't come out of that thinking we've turned a corner. Just relief really.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #344 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 17:02:13 »

Not sure if it was deliberate but nice touch to play XTC "Generals and Majors" at half time on the return of AG. Usually "Mayor of Simpleton" is the XTC track played.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: