Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25114 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 22:34:49 »

A decent performance by us, hopefully it will help with confidence, but we’re not going to get an easier ride from anyone else this season
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 22:41:28 »

Excellent just the way we like it😀

...And that's the way
we like it, we like it, we like it...
woahhh, woahhh, woahhhhhh...

Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 02:03:27 »

Looking st the goals again.

McKirdy’s was a replica of his Man City goal.

I know Davison’s first looks like a simple deflection but when the ball is coming towards him he does flick his heel out towards the ball - the ball didn’t just hit him.

Anyway, a good, not to get carried with, 3 points. Not sure how that performance would turn out against another team.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 02:08:10 »

Haven't read back but general thoughts today are.....

Glad we played a little more direct, but on occasion it was too much (yes I know the 'Get it forward' merchants are one thing but it would be nice to find a happy medium)

Having said that I genuinely feel like Garner is willing to face up to his short comings and consider changing based on today.

Big fan of actually whipping crosses and corners on on occasion. My biggest frustration of Garnerball this season is when we get a corner or freekick in a decent area and just pass it around until we lose it. If there is one occasion where delivering a hard good cross is still part of passing football and absolutely not making us hoofball merchants, then it is this! More of this, please, Ben!

Glad Davison got a goal, even if a bit lucky (as well as the pen, of course), He's clearly more of a target man than a goal scorer and an obvious downgrade from Simpson but if that gives him the confidence to get a couple between now and end of the season then it could be the difference between us scraping play offs or not.

Still feel like if we even manage to scrape play offs we'll be out-hustled and opposing manager will outwit Garner, but at least he genuinely does seem willing to change things and improve based on today.

Reed is a fucking diamond and showed we missed him badly, Improved things massively today and if the ref wasn't a prime 2022 referee who shit himself every time he saw a slide tackle (no matter how clean) he may have even had a bigger influence today.

Fuck me, against a better team we would have still struggled and probably lost. First half why did their attacker shit himself and not play his mate him and that shambles start of first half we were lucky to get away with.

Having said all that, it was only a bottom end team and we can't go crazy. Had they been better finishers we could easily be sat here with 0 points, but I'm still happy we won and the fact Garner seems willing to identify problems and switch things up, it is encouraging compared to some of the managers we have been used to in recent years.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 02:10:26 »

Oh god, not the OUFC 'attendance watch' again

It's expected in a way when they were a lower division team, a lot of them claimed their only identify on the weeks they beat us in attendance for a long time convinced they're a bigger fan base. But we can't go too far pointing out the obvious. Can't get too like them.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 02:12:02 »

When he got played through, i expected him to finish it based off of the similarities running through my head. Then he hit it a bit too close to the keeper, but thankfully it was through his legs. I'm sure it was intentional.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 08:24:44 »

Looking st the goals again.

I know Davison’s first looks like a simple deflection but when the ball is coming towards him he does flick his heel out towards the ball - the ball didn’t just hit him.

Anyway, a good, not to get carried with, 3 points. Not sure how that performance would turn out against another team.

That's exactly how I saw it Audrey. Great to get 3 points at home again and a clean sheet, but if that was a side with a decent striker we would not be winning that game. I know you can only beat whats in front of you but I didn't think they were that bad or did we make them look good? We allowed them 13 shots on goal and they had almost as many on target as we did.
Take the points when available but we still need to tighten up.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #322 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 08:35:50 »

On the flip side to that there are games where we have had more shots more possession and lost and as people rightly point out it doesn't mean a thing
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 08:41:59 »

Interesting to see that Davison largely seems to have been written off (comments first half on this thread were worse) - nothing like giving a player a chance eh? He hasn't played much football this season and like the others needs time to settle in. He's playing alongside McKirdy, who is unpredictable, and Barry who hasn't quite worked out the right decisions when in the final third.

Tyreece Simpson he's not, but there's no reason he can't be just as effective a focal point for our attack.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #324 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 08:59:24 »

I think I am in a minority with Davison. I quite like him. His hold up play is good and he brings others into play well. He lacks confidence in front of goal but us that through not playing competitive football? I am hoping that now he has a couple of goals, that will come.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:02:25 »

Maybe the new Charlie Henry not much quality but plenty of endeavour and effective!

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:14:31 »

I hope that is true @Crackity Jones -Fjortoft was bloody awful before he got his first for us. Now I'm not saying Davison is anywhere in that league, but maybe the fluke will result in a bit of confidence and improved performance. He did try hard and his penalty was well taken. He looked more of a threat after his goal, but whether that was because his confidence grew or the Scunthorpe defence's confidence waned I don't know.

Yes @ibelieveinmrreeves I thought he was very poor in the first half. He had a couple of golden opportunities - Once he fell over and the second time he 'comedy scuffed' his shot taking a big sod of grass rather than the ball.

From what I have seen so far, I think he is very much like one of the triallists we had in pre-season. He looks like a non-league player who has 'something' there. Whether it is enough to make it at league level I don't know.

His quickness of though, instinct or anticipation of a pass seem off to me. Maybe that's where he is rusty. But he always seems on his heels in and around the box and has to scrap for the ball too often rather than being ready to receive and shoot. I've also thought he and McKirdy have been trying to take up the same positions before yesterday.

Maybe we will see increased sharpness and a better understanding with his team mates in the games ahead. Maybe his finishing will improve too. I really hope so,

At this point in time I would say he is a clear downgrade on Simpson - who was very raw and at best 'average' in this division.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:16:01 »

Maybe the new Charlie Henry not much quality but plenty of endeavour and effective!
Good comparison! Especially on the first 'E' and hopefully we'll see more on the second in due course.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:21:19 »

Not getting too carried away with that.
Waiting until February for the 4th home win is not much cause for celebration.
Aim now must be to stay unbeaten at home for the rest of the season.

Both teams seemed to operate in acres of space at times yesterday.
Should be entertaining at least if we stick with that formation.

I like Davison. Wholehearted effort can't be knocked & can only be good for the team from a CF.

Barry also I like. Maybe in the minority in feeling that his cameos before yesterday were quite encouraging.
Having two forwards that are prepared to run at the opposition and take people on is great to watch.
Could have had a penalty when Grant appeared to pull him back and also got wiped out by their keeper in the first half, but those fouls are never given for some reason.

Would be interesting to see the cross count and some good quality coming in as well.

The imperious Iandolo was almost Doughtyesque at times in the 2nd half, but Reed was the glue that held everything together.
The table of assists would also be of interest.

The reception for Grant at the end was memorable.
I love those types of moments in football.
It did look as if he was wiping away some moisture from the eyes. Then again it was raining.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Crackity Jones

« Reply #329 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 09:45:57 »

I think Barry was another to benefit from the change in formation. I feared that he was Gilbert V2 based in his sub appearances. Yesterday he showed much more than that.

As others have said, it's one game and against opposition at the wrong end of the table and we shouldn't get carried away. But, given what we have been served at home this season, this was a welcome change. Let's build on it over the next few games.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: