Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 24589 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 17:15:45 »

I don't get the "it's only Scunthorpe" vibe. On our current form we're hardly justified in saying it's "only" anyone. We've had bad results recently against equally poor sides(eg Crawley and Colchester)Yeah, don't get carried away but equally we shouldn't have got carried away with the poor ones. Yesterday's results(Tranmere,Northampton,Mansfield,Newport) show that everyone,excepting FGR, are equally capable of fucking up and we have as much chance as anyone of making the play offs.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 17:19:36 »

I don't get the "it's only Scunthorpe" vibe. On our current form we're hardly justified in saying it's "only" anyone. We've had bad results recently against equally poor sides(eg Crawley and Colchester)Yeah, don't get carried away but equally we shouldn't have got carried away with the poor ones. Yesterday's results(Tranmere,Northampton,Mansfield,Newport) show that everyone,excepting FGR, are equally capable of fucking up and we have as much chance as anyone of making the play offs.
Yeah agreed. You can only beat who is in front of you and games against struggling teams offer different challenges such as the fact they are often fighting for their lives. We could still go on to make the play offs or autos (although I think the latter is unlikely). Payne coming back will be a huge boost. Hopefully Barry and Davison will have had a chance to settle and gel soon too.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 17:27:27 »

Not sure if it was deliberate but nice touch to play XTC "Generals and Majors" at half time on the return of AG. Usually "Mayor of Simpleton" is the XTC track played.
My guess is deliberate. If so; nice touch
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #348 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 18:16:39 »

Another big game on Saturday against a struggling side, away at Carlisle who are 3rd bottom and only have 1 draw in the last 5 league games (yesterday at Col U) and only 1 win in the last 8 games.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 18:25:31 »

I totally get the ‘it’s only Scunny’ things not because they were bad, they were also badly set up if they were going to be bad. They were continually very narrow - in some sort of a 4-2-2-2 so that both fullbacks (lb was clearly out of position) was left 1v1 and pretty stretched vertically too. They simply didn’t get into the two banks say Crawley did. There was always room on the flanks and behind them, rather than just in front - hence very little need to go side to side. There was always a gap in the channel between fb and cb.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 19:36:32 »

Absolute, refreshing sense.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 19:39:21 »

I can't believe how poor Orient have become considering their fowrad line and money they gave Jackett.

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 19:44:28 »

I can't believe how poor Orient have become considering their fowrad line and money they gave Jackett.
Unfortunately they kind of peaked against us

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 19:46:10 »

Was in orient official section for the Town game at theirs. Heard some of their fans comments after their 4-1 against us in dec, they were very optimistic about promotion. Haven't won since have they??
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 19:46:24 »

Unfortunately they kind of peaked against us

Still got to play them at home!

So, give no fucks
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 20:02:21 »

Me neither Adje...I wouldn't have been the slightest bit surprised if we'd lost based on recent form...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 20:25:12 »

I think the point is Scunthorpe are bottom of the league for a reason. They offer little attacking threat and are weak at the back. Now, if we'd put in that sort of performance against Tranmere, FGR or Exeter perhaps then the mood would have been even more upbeat!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 20:45:48 »

I think the point is Scunthorpe are bottom of the league for a reason. They offer little attacking threat and are weak at the back. Now, if we'd put in that sort of performance against Tranmere, FGR or Exeter perhaps then the mood would have been even more upbeat!

I disagree. I think DV actually hit the nail on the head with this...

I think the major take away from yesterday is not the performance & result relative to the opposition but the fact Garner changed and adapted the formation and style to accommodate the players available.

The last few weeks that’s what most people have been (rightly) asking for.

I didn't think Garner was prepared / knew how do to that. Evidently he was prepared / was able to make the necessary changes. That gives me hope...

Damn you hope!! Doh

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, February 13, 2022, 21:48:08 »

Have'nt read back.

Well that was needed by all of us.....Garner, players and fans.

Dunno if we played as well as they gushed on the radio on the way home but the result was important.

Scunny fluffed their lines time and time again before we took the lead.

Anyway....3 points!

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Monday, February 14, 2022, 09:13:20 »

Good to get 3 points on the board on Saturday. I think it had been mentioned during the week that for Garner it was pretty much a must win game to keep as many fans on side. As it transpired Scunthorpe were the ideal opposition for a manager and team that had been struggling recently.

Firstly fair play to Garner for changing the shape. Disappointing to see AK out of the side as he had done nothing wrong, but could understand the thinking. Having the front 3 of Barry, Davison and Mckirdy also made sense. First half was quite bitty as we were coming to terms with the new shape but overall it was a good half that was only goalless as it never quite clicked in the box, Barry was finding good spaces but he's not great in the air and a number of chances were 'wasted'. Our shooting was pretty crap as well, but that's not necessarily a new thing. Of course I had written Davison off at half time but did caveat that he needed a scruffy goal to go in for his confidence.

Second half there were a couple of iffy moments where Scunthorpe had a chance to take the lead but Jojo did well to keep his clean sheet intact. Then from a sloppy throw in from Scunthorpe, an Alert Ellis Iandolo intercepted and played an absolute beauty of a ball for McKirdy to shoot home. We could relax a little after a good move and more good play by Barry ended with the scruffy goal for Davison. Icing on the cake then with a Davison penalty after a foul on Barry and the game was over.

Make no mistake, Scunthorpe were possibly the worst team I have seen in a long time, they reminded me of Swindon last season, just utterly abject all through the side. The lad up front Burns seemed a willing runner but his strike partner Nuttall was hideously bad. Of course you can only beat what's put in front of you but Scunthorpe looked like a National League North side playing in the FA Cup. As for us, green shoots. Iandolo was excellent and with Tomlinson being a wandering LB, Ellis is able to slot in for him and vice versa. This could be fruitful as the season progresses. Hopefully the goals for Davison will send him on a run. I still don't think he's great but now he is off the mark perhaps he will show what he can really do. Another injury for Gladwin is unfortunate and the squad is now stretched but on the plus side, Aguair did himself no harm at all and looks a handy player.

Carlisle away is another game on paper that should yield points, it would be good to put a run together to get back amongst the chasing pack. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: