Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Garner Out  (Read 19625 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:01:22 »

it's the floaters that'll get flushed

They will go if the team ain't winning

Nothing to see here
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:14:40 »

it's the floaters that'll get flushed

Well yeah exactly that but they are much more likely to be picky choosy pay on the dayers than season ticket holders…
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:14:43 »

Who on earth supports Swindon based on style of football?

We're not talking about someone changing their team. We're talking about someone considering laying out best part of 400 notes and then thinking "nah, actually, fuck that".
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:17:41 »

Even more so after the energy hike and general cost of living rocketing.

So, give no fucks
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:40:22 »

How many people have genuinely not renewed season tickets based on the manager? Or style of football, ever?

We didn’t renew ours when Rikki & the Scouser were here.
Not only that, we didn’t go to another game until he was sacked.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:45:28 »

We're not talking about someone changing their team. We're talking about someone considering laying out best part of 400 notes and then thinking "nah, actually, fuck that".

Especially when it costs £1k a year (or more) to travel down for games.

If there’s little or no enjoyment or pleasure to be had from watching the games, why would you shell out.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 01:15:15 »

How many people have genuinely not renewed season tickets based on the manager? Or style of football, ever?

Will you be renewing yours?  Smiley
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 06:39:23 »

At some point during the 97/98 season (McMahon) me and Mrs Taylor both decided (independently of each other) that we could not be fucked to drive 2 hours plus M25 related hold ups every two weeks for a dull, grey, joyless experience ...an experience stemming directly from the manager / style of play - two things which are inextricably linked. We therefore did not renew the following summer. So that's 2 emphatic yes's...

Edit: Reading back, pretty similar to Posh's point. Although we didn't specifically say, "we're not going again until McMahon/Hunt are gone"...we just weren't going to commit to every home game (although we probably didn't go to many more games while McMahon was in charge)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 07:12:22 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 07:45:52 »

it's definitely a lot easier only dragging yourself across Swindon.

I'll be renewing 2 of the 3 of my season tickets for that reason. But totally understand those that don't

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 09:41:49 »

Definitely not Garner out from me. I get the frustrations from fans. We definitely overplay it at times and it's like watching academy football but it isn't a bad philosophy to have. The biggest issues for me are losing the players we have for the various reasons and others like Williams and Mckirdy getting found out.
This season was always about consolidation anyway, wasn't it?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 09:59:51 »

Definitely not Garner out from me. I get the frustrations from fans. We definitely overplay it at times and it's like watching academy football but it isn't a bad philosophy to have. The biggest issues for me are losing the players we have for the various reasons and others like Williams and Mckirdy getting found out.

I'm with you on the philosophy but I am sceptical that it can work that well in league 2. Now of course comparing our style of play with Man City is crazy, but their mantra isn't a million miles away from ours. But they play with tempo and also have the players that have the ability to take the ball in under pressure and use their touch and skill to get out of those tight situations, which then allows space to open up for them to utilise.

We don't play with anything like the same kind of tempo or 'danger'. It's all very simple, pass, pass, pass etc. Occasionally this leads to a great chance or goal. Davison should have scored last night from a superb move but it doesn't create the same level of chances as Tranmere's more 'simple' game. Press hard, be organised etc. I worry that we have been found out and Garner doesn't have the tools to change it. The next 3 games on paper are much simpler and I think if we don't take a significant amount of points, he'll be under real pressure.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 10:01:17 »

To begin with, then the players decided to be good (away) and give us hope for more. Now fizzling away.

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 10:24:45 »

I'm with you on the philosophy but I am sceptical that it can work that well in league 2. Now of course comparing our style of play with Man City is crazy, but their mantra isn't a million miles away from ours. But they play with tempo and also have the players that have the ability to take the ball in under pressure and use their touch and skill to get out of those tight situations, which then allows space to open up for them to utilise.

We don't play with anything like the same kind of tempo or 'danger'. It's all very simple, pass, pass, pass etc. Occasionally this leads to a great chance or goal. Davison should have scored last night from a superb move but it doesn't create the same level of chances as Tranmere's more 'simple' game. Press hard, be organised etc. I worry that we have been found out and Garner doesn't have the tools to change it. The next 3 games on paper are much simpler and I think if we don't take a significant amount of points, he'll be under real pressure.

Can't argue with any of that and certainly think we've been found out. Mckirdy and Williams who are both key players in particular. Passing across the back when chasing the game in the latter stages also baffles me.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 10:54:08 »

Can't argue with any of that and certainly think we've been found out. Mckirdy and Williams who are both key players in particular. Passing across the back when chasing the game in the latter stages also baffles me.

I think Div mentioned it in the Match Day Fred but surely for the last 10/15 minutes you really need to get the opponents defence under pressure and get your football played in their territory? If this means balls into the channels to win throw ins, or balls up to Davison to try and win headers, or free kicks then this gives you a better chance of being able to open up your opponent rather than attempt to win the goal of the season award by starting out by playing tiki-taka across the back line? This also gets fans behind you if you are winning corners and throws, in good territorial positions rather than a load of moaning when Conroy and Cooper are playing 'to me to you' whilst feebly 'chasing' a game. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 11:33:16 »

I think Div mentioned it in the Match Day Fred but surely for the last 10/15 minutes you really need to get the opponents defence under pressure and get your football played in their territory? If this means balls into the channels to win throw ins, or balls up to Davison to try and win headers, or free kicks then this gives you a better chance of being able to open up your opponent rather than attempt to win the goal of the season award by starting out by playing tiki-taka across the back line? This also gets fans behind you if you are winning corners and throws, in good territorial positions rather than a load of moaning when Conroy and Cooper are playing 'to me to you' whilst feebly 'chasing' a game. 

Mine was more in reference to Saturday. Just playing ugly to disrupt Exeter and see out the 1-0 win but the principal equally holds true when chasing a game.

The main point being if we do deviate from the philosophy during games for short spells - the roof won’t fall in. Players won’t be handing in transfer request, the loan players won’t be running back to their parent clubs & other clubs higher up the food chain aren’t going to refuse to loan us players ever again because we played ugly for 15 minutes whilst 1-0 up against a good side
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: