Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 190526 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, January 9, 2022, 14:27:44 »

We didn't lose!

A half decent batting performance in both innings and a bit of rain.

At least they showed some fight, just a shame it’s taken so long.

I wouldn’t mind us losing so much if we at least made a game of it
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, January 9, 2022, 15:41:55 »

Watched until lunch again - The pitch wasn't doing anything. Hameed was dropped a couple of overs before he played the same shot to let Carey make amends. Technical flaw in his batting. Would imagine he's shot.

Crawley looked good. Likes the ball on his legs. But, doesn't move his feet and susceptible to one on the stump going through bat and pad or outside the off. I think of him as a good bowling machine batter.

Malan didn't move his feet either. Ridiculous. Root and Stokes looked in no trouble.

Need to send Stokes home with Buttler. Get them both fixed. Not sure how bad Bairstow's injury is. But, nothing to play for here, so send him home to if it will help in the long run.

Can see us playing a Lions team in the next match, which aint a bad thing.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, January 9, 2022, 16:23:40 »

Oh I think Stokes is probably going to be sent home, they'll just be waiting for scan results before making that final decision. Stephen Finn suggested on the radio that sometimes you can't do a reliable scan until a couple of days after the game.

Think you're right on most of the technical stuff. Crawley *looks* a player, no doubt at all, worth investing time in but setting up on off means he's going to get pinned lbw occasionally. His technique suits Australian/SA wickets I think, I'm not sure he's going to be piling on the runs at home all that often. Hopefully he's smart enough to adjust.

Hameed just wasn't ready - he struggles against high pace in the Championship so this tour always felt a really tough ask. As you say, caught between playing forward and back repeatedly and kept getting the edge.

Lions wise, we can only really play who is in the country - which means the batting has to be Pope, Lawrence and Billings taking the gloves, unless you fancy doing something really funky like Burns in the middle order.

Bairstow had an excellent test and fair play to him for that, but I think we can get a bit carried away about one good performance - he's been pretty much useless for four years before this. Gets himself another chance if fit though.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, January 9, 2022, 19:24:41 »

Oh I think Stokes is probably going to be sent home, they'll just be waiting for scan results before making that final decision. Stephen Finn suggested on the radio that sometimes you can't do a reliable scan until a couple of days after the game.

Think you're right on most of the technical stuff. Crawley *looks* a player, no doubt at all, worth investing time in but setting up on off means he's going to get pinned lbw occasionally. His technique suits Australian/SA wickets I think, I'm not sure he's going to be piling on the runs at home all that often. Hopefully he's smart enough to adjust.

Hameed just wasn't ready - he struggles against high pace in the Championship so this tour always felt a really tough ask. As you say, caught between playing forward and back repeatedly and kept getting the edge.

Lions wise, we can only really play who is in the country - which means the batting has to be Pope, Lawrence and Billings taking the gloves, unless you fancy doing something really funky like Burns in the middle order.

Bairstow had an excellent test and fair play to him for that, but I think we can get a bit carried away about one good performance - he's been pretty much useless for four years before this. Gets himself another chance if fit though.
Bairstow has been inconsistent. Too much bottom hand - A swisher. More of a batsman than his father but less of a wicket keeper!

Again, the problem with England is we have a team full of 'all rounders'. They can mostly all do a bit of everything, but many of them can't do one thing well.

Of what's out there, I'd be inclined to go for:

1. Burns
2. Crawley
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Pope
6. Lawrence
7. Billings 
8. Woakes
9. Overton
10. Robinson
11. Wood

You could argue Anderson & Broad for Overton and Woakes to enable them to say farewell to the Aussies. But, given there is nothing to play for, you might as well give the others a go. (Woakes might be injured)

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 05:17:16 »

Well, here we are showing some promise again. Let's bowl them out cheaply, then we'll probably be knocked over for less than 50 runs.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 06:30:30 »

Never seen such a green pitch. 150 would be a good score.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 07:43:36 »

I didn't see the first session but seems it's settled down a little now. Pitch does look very green, but then so do many in NZ and those usually get big scores on them.

Either way, better conditions for England but Robinson seems to be injured and Wood getting whacked, so Root bowling already.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:18:02 »

Never seen such a green pitch. 150 would be a good score.
So 179-4 with Robinson looking unable to bowl doesn't look so good!

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:29:52 »

With Travis Head playing like a prime De Villiers.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:37:53 »

It was all looking good for the first hour, now the pitch has settled down a bit.

Labuschagne's dismissal was marvellous though.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:43:01 »

It was all looking good for the first hour, now the pitch has settled down a bit.

Labuschagne's dismissal was marvellous though.
Village cricket at its best!

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:56:59 »

I'm not convinced he actually stumbled, I think the fall was to try and cover his blushes by making it look like he was off balance.
Hunk

« Reply #222 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:58:51 »

With Travis Head playing like a prime De Villiers.

He’s gone, phew.

Looks like the Aussies are still managing a good score though. Run through them now and we might just be able to take a slender lead into the Oz second innings.
Hunk

« Reply #223 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 08:59:19 »

I'm not convinced he actually stumbled, I think the fall was to try and cover his blushes by making it look like he was off balance.

Looked like a genuine fall to me
Hunk

« Reply #224 on: Friday, January 14, 2022, 09:00:43 »

Reading on the bbc sounds like Sam Billings is having the time of his life! This is good to hear, a bit of positivity and some chatter
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: